Mother's Day Soon.

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (22 posts)
  1. moonlake profile image81
    moonlakeposted 8 years ago

My mother passed away last week she would have been 93 on the 5th of May. It seems strange not to pick up the phone and talk to her. She was suffering so we were glad to see her go to be with my Dad but also sorry that she was gone.
    http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12397258.jpg

1. lions44 profile image93
      lions44posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Very sorry about your mom. Regardless of the age, it's always tough. I lost my mom at a young age, but you grieve differently when you're young. You're not thinking about it; can't get perspective.  In many ways, I think it's tougher to go through it as an adult. I really do. My mother in law recently passed, so I have had to help my wife through it.  Feel free to post your memories here. That always helps. Very supportive community on HP.  Wish you the best.

moonlakeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

lions44 Thank you, it is hard no matter the age. Sorry about the loss of your mom at a young age that had to be hard.

2. profile image0
      RTalloniposted 8 years agoin reply to this

So sorry for your loss.  Her smiling picture is delightful.  Thank you for sharing it with us.  My mother passed away March 19 and this will be the first Mother's Day after her death.  I had divided trying to care for her from the rest of my life so I could function as normally as possible under the circumstances.  It was 7 years of high stress but I did not realize that the stress after her death would be different.  I think it must have been some sort of post traumatic stress. In March and April I did a few of my regular activities, but resting and praying are what kept me from going under.  Just two weeks ago by God's grace I turned a corner and have improved day by day.  I am feeling much better and I hope you will also be feeling better soon.

I’m so sorry for the loss of your mother. I know your stress must have been awful after her death. My sister was my mother's caretaker. She is now getting her home cleared out and I know when this is all over she will be in shock. She will no longer call her, stop by her home each day, take her to the doctor and do just about everything for her. She will feel lost.
        I know I was lost after my husband passed away in Dec. suddenly I didn't go to the nursing home each day. I still have trouble driving by it and I haven't been able to go to the cemetery. A so called friend said I should be over it.
        It's been an awful year my husband, my mother and our dog passed away,

1. profile image0
          RTalloniposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The callousness of that person is just a reflection of ignorance.  You've been through a lot and it will take time to get your bearings again.  Just go one step at a time and only as fast as you must.  Take as much time as you need to do what you have to do in daily tasks.  When you have regained some strength you'll want to be an encouragement to your sister in the coming weeks and help her to take her steps one at a time.  Keep us posted on how you are doing.

3. Thelma Alberts profile image90
      Thelma Albertsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Condolence to you and your family  moonlake. So sorry to hear about your lose. This will be the 7th year that I could not talk to my mother on Mother´s Day. I don´t think I have come over the lose of my mother as tears always come whenever I remember her. Just like now. It takes time but talk about her, your memories about her and everything. It really helps.

Thelma Alberts, thank you so sorry for the loss of your mother. We still grieve no matter how many years it has been.  I think the sad part is how much our family has changed this year with our loved ones gone.

4. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am so sorry for the loss of your mother.  It is sad when your parents die.  When your parents die, you feel that you have lost some continuity in your life.  Parents are special people.  I miss my father and my blessed mother is in a nursing home due to alzheimers   I think about my mother each passing day.  I wish that she was with me in sound mind so we can talk like we used to.

gmwilliams, thank you. So sorry for the loss of your Dad. It's so hard when loved ones have Alzheimers. My daughter-in-law was just telling me tonight how her Dad is going down hill so fast with his Alzheimers.

5. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Pls accept my condolence abt yr mom passing. 93 is a grand age, she had been living a happy life on earth and i am sure she will find peace in heaven

Thank you peachpurple. She did have a good life I know at times she thought she didn't.

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 8 years ago

This is my second Mother's Day without my Mom, who passed at 88.  I still pick up the phone before I remember she's gone.  I can remember her and smile now, though, instead of tearing up.  I've also learned a lot about her from other people, things I would have never known.  That's been a blessing.

Losing a parent leaves a hole you didn't expect.  Share your memories.  Talk about her.  It helps.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I was very disappointed in the minster at her funeral. We buried her five hours away from my sister in the cemetery my Dad is buried in. The minster didn’t really remember her and he never ask a question about her instead he talked about his life. She deserved to have her life talked about. It was our mistake we should have realized and wrote some information down for him. Mother always talked about him like she knew him and he was the minster she wanted.
      She took five children across the ocean all by herself with no help from anyone. She went on a ship she had never been on. She followed my Dad wherever he went including to Sandy Valley, Nevada, lived in a little shack with two rooms, an outhouse and that was about it.  She always made sure we were fed, warm and clean.

1. LongTimeMother profile image91
        LongTimeMotherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Your mother sounds like a truly remarkable woman, moonlake. There would have been a lot the minister could have spoken about. I'm at a loss why he didn't ask you about her.

You've had a very traumatic year. I admire your strength. Please continue keeping in touch with us. We'll be your extended family when you need us.

LongTimeMother, thank you. She raised good kids none of us ended up in jail and we all watched after her the best we could.

3. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

Sharon, (moonlake) my condolences to you for your loss. Mothers are wonderful to have close relationships with, at any age they are still mothers. I offer my condolences to everyone who is missing their mothers this Mother's Day and every day.

My Mom is 88 years old, and I moved home to be her personal care assistant over a year and a half ago, because of Alzheimer's / dementia (severe memory loss).  They call it "the long good-bye", and that it is. But, I feel so blessed to be able to spend this time with her, she has been a saint all her life and still is. It is not without challenges, but every moment I see that she is happy is rewarding and gives me joy. 

Happy Mother's Day to ALL Moms!

Thank you. Your Mom is lucky to have you, so many Mom's don't have that.

4. RobinGrosswirth23 profile image61
    RobinGrosswirth23posted 8 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss. Holidays are a tough time, particularly if a loved one has passed on, and if that loved one was close to you, and loved you unconditionally.

Recently, I picked up a book of essays by my favorite author, Joan Anderson. The title is, Stretch Marks: Essays for the Unfinished Woman. Anderson underscores her own losses, the passing of her parents, and for this example, her mother.

Anderson calls this monumental loss a time of the "passing of the torch," that now, when a mother passes, the daughters are on the front lines. To that end, it is up to us to either carry on the legacy passed to us, or to those who did not enjoy unconditional love from a mother, then it is incumbent upon us to be change agents, being demonstrative, loving our offspring unconditionally.

I lost my mother last May--May 25. I spent last Mother's Day in the hospital with her while she was battling lung cancer. It was something like 19 or 21 days after the diagnosis that she passed. She had a large tumor on her superior vena cava that ended up taking her life. Never saw it coming. She had longevity in her genes--her father lived till his late 90s and his mother till 101. Mom hadn't smoked in over 25 years. She was independent at 80, still participating professionally, in her community, as a world traveler, and as a girlfriend, I might add. She was an anomaly, a conflict of terms, a brilliant savant, a therapist, but unfortunately, she lacked warmth.

My mother didn't love me unconditionally; she was not demonstrative either, and therein lies a palpable lesson. It was up to me to continue to be a nurturer to my own son, to be an organic exemplar for what a "Mother" should be, and to give while my eyes are wide open, seeing the joy in his receiving all that I have within me to give. It is my hope that when the time comes, he will carry on as I have and love prolifically.

Happy Mother's Day to you.

Thank you.

5. tirelesstraveler profile image61
    tirelesstravelerposted 8 years ago

The year my mom died I kept saying where are the pictures of mom at Matt's graduation, where are her  pictures at Jon's wedding, where....Then I would remember she was gone. She was almost ninety one.  Mothers can't be replaced, but their memories can't be taken away. It sure does hurt when they are gone.
    I took flowers to my best friend's mom for Mother's Day. She was tickled to pieces. I had to do something for somebodies mom. 

BFF lives in North Africa and I am a 40 minute drive from her mom.

How nice that you did that for your friend's Mom. My best friend's Mom died just before my Mom, she was also 92.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)