Christmas is Coming!

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (63 posts)
  1. heart4theword profile image62
    heart4thewordposted 14 years ago

Are you getting ready?  Now is the time to start thinking about a special wrapping paper, name tags, cards, hot items, engraved and personalized items.  Beat the Christmas Rush!  Soon we will be into Novemeber.  Many of us will be focused on getting our homes ready for Thanksgiving, or getting ready to go out of town. Before we know it Thanksgiving is over and the Christmas Rush is on!!   

If you are a gift basket maker....those special quality items that you need, well nows the time to buy.  I remember one year I needed that special hot chocolate you can buy by the case at Costco.  I went to buy it, I was ready to put in my baskets.  It was the last item I hadn't gotten.  Guess what, Costco was sold out.  Sold out for the season, I missed it. 

Even Christmas Music is hard to find if you wait too long.  All that is left is what nobody wants. We all know Christmas Music is important to set our scene for love and family. 

So just wanted to encourage you to get an early start.  Make your list, check it thrice:) 

Happy Holiday's and Merry Christmas to you All!!

1. atomswifey profile image56
      atomswifeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is sooo great you wrote this! lol smile
      I am so very ready this year! I love Christmas and even wrote a hub about it already smile
      Guess you can tell my anxiousness for it.
      I am going for more of a traditional non commercial Christmas this year for my family.
      Making homemade gifts, ornaments and other tree trimmings etc. Reading of the birth of Christ and singing carols. Filling our home with the scents of cinnamon and spices. Filling it as well with the sounds of Christmas music and laughter.

It truly is the best time of the year smile

heart4thewordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Atomswifey, Family traditions are great! Sounds like you are with it, and are ahead of schedule compared to most.  One tradition we like to do, is plan a special night to Decorate the Tree.  We put on the Christmas Music and Hot Chocolate:)  Set up the Manger Scene, wrap some presents and decorate the Dinning Room Table.  My Family really enjoys this time and The Love of Christmas:)seems to fill our home with warmth.  Thank you for sharing!  "Remember the Reason for the Season:)"

1. atomswifey profile image56
          atomswifeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amen! smile

2. alexandriaruthk profile image70
      alexandriaruthkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Same to you, and Blessing to you and your family too!

3. Camelot_UK profile image61
      Camelot_UKposted 13 years agoin reply to this
  2. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

All good tips, because if you're not ready for Christmas it comes like a runaway train, heading straight at you, that you can't stop.   lol

3. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

All the more reason to write Christmas hubs as soon as possible and get your amazon items in gear.

Flightkeeper, good advice to get your Christmas hub pages up and going!  FUN,FUN,FUN CHRISTMAS TIME IS NEAR! smile

4. Wonder_Woman profile image58
    Wonder_Womanposted 14 years ago

I was thinking about the same thing...
    Since money is going to be tight this year (as it was last), I am trying to come up with unique present ideas that are affordable yet personal. last year i went through a box of old family photos, then went to walgreens, scanned them, fixed them, and printed them. Then I went to khols since they had a really good sale on frames, i bought a few. at home i contructed these frames and wrapped them up. my aunts loved them! Some pictures they forgot even existed. I made a Collage  for my uncle, you know the frames that come with about 8 frames on one huge frame (sorry if i sound confusing). I put pictures of him and his parents, his best friends, and special moments. it brought him to tears. So since that was last years idea i need to come up with a new one. Marshals has a ton of little items for cheap prices. So what i am probably going to do is invest in some baskets, decorating gear like ribbons and confetti, etc. then go to marshals and buy little silly things that would appeal to people id make that basket for. For example my mother: container of coffee mix, cute fuzzy soxs she adores, maybe a little hand clutch, a bottle of perfume (usually sold at $10 for well known brands that use to cost $80 years ago), some chocolates, maybe cookies, some cute gloves, maybe a potential book she shoul read, or some cute pjs, fuzzt slippers. I know its a lot of silly stuff she can get on her own but in our family we actually give gifts that we need. Marshals is really affordable just a couple days ago i bought a pair a panties, a corset, a bra, chai tea mix, a bag of coffee mix, and a baking book, total cost $23 dollars. if baskets are really expensive for your taste (which they can be) go to your local goodwill (thrift store) and check them out. usually when i go to goodwill their are a TON of baskets in a nice variety and u are looking at spending $1 each. Sorry for it being so long hmm lol

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
      Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

These are great ideas Wonder. In fact I bet there will be many people googling for inexpensive Christmas gift ideas and the information you have here is good for at least three Christmas hubs.  Better get going so that you can learn some adsense and amazon.com money.

5. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

I'm a little behind still have a few Halloween ones I want to publish and then one about NaNoWriMo for November then the starting of some great crafty ones for Christmas.

6. bearnmom profile image68
    bearnmomposted 14 years ago

I started posting Christmas Cookie recipes last month because it takes a lot of time to make enough cookies to give some, to serve some and to enjoy some.  Those make excellent Christmas gifts for those single people and those seniors who live alone.  So many of them don't want to bake for themselves and certainly don't enjoy them as much if they buy them.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oOo, i luv Christmas cookies! i am always looking for new recipes, 'cause i make Christmas boxes every year filled with homemade treats and people go crazy over them. i have some cool Christmas ideas too but am still working on Halloween and Thanksiving ideas. i will check out your hubs!

2. heart4theword profile image62

cosette & bearnmom & lynnechandler,  wow you are so right, we can't forget the COOKIES, and the holiday crafts.  You putting together your boxes of goodies can warm a persons heart more than any store bought item.  I have one friend who that is all she does for her family is bake cookies.  She is a baker by trade, but her kids and grandkids would be upset if she didn't have their cookies and nut breads for them.  You guys are really inspiring me to put things in a higher gear:)  Happy Hubbin:) "Sieze the Day"

7. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

It seems as if everyone has at least one Christmas hub to write about.  Nelle Hoxie just reminded everyone the other day that it takes at least one week for hubs to mature and be founded by Google.

8. profile image0
    LEWJposted 14 years ago

Has anyone here heard  "CAROL OF THE BELLS" by  a group called The Bird and The Bee?
    It's a gorgeous Christmas song, fresh and creative, and performed with eloquent sensitivity.
    Everybody should hear it.    It's one of the very best of it's kind.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've always liked Carol of the bells

9. Anath profile image61
    Anathposted 14 years ago

I have not been to Halloween yet, how can I think about Christmas?  I don't like the idea of Christmas being earlier and earlier every year.  For me Christmas only starts coming in December!

10. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I go in order of holidays thanks. I can't wait for Halloween!

1. Anath profile image61
      Anathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Glad to see that we are at least two sharing the "Halloween spirit" smile

1. Anath profile image61
        Anathposted 14 years agoin reply to this
      2. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yep have to go in order lol jumping ahead like that only causes more stress and less enjoyment for the holiday that is soon approaching i.e. Halloween lol

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!!!

11. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

My two biggest worries at Christmas are going to sound silly, but...wrapping paper and the stockings. When my kids were too young to read, I started buying 1 specific wrapping paper for each kid that reflected their interests that year and wrapped all of their presents in it. That way they were able to quickly figure out which gifts were theirs under the tree (and I didn't have to worry about gift tags). They're now 20, 22 and 24, and God forbid I don't do the wrapping paper thing!

And stockings have always been quite the big thing in our house. We used to lay the kids' stockings on their bed Christmas Eve after they went to sleep. They would get up and open up their stockings, delaying the inevitable rush to the tree and giving me and my hubby a little more sleep! And stockings, well, still HUGE thing with my kids!

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

my 2 sons are older also, and I still do the 2 different kinds of paper so they know which is which!  this year there won't be as much, but they will look for their stockings to see what Santa left, I hang them on the fireplace which usually isn't lit in December. I have no idea what I will get them this year.
      hmm 
      always a magical time regardless of how many presents are under the tree.

12. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

We start early, while out for weekends, loking for the unusual. I also make crafty things.

Curious what kind of crafty things do you do?  I love craft and handmade things too! Last year a friend of mine made a train out of cookies, and candy...she gave those away as Christmas Cookies to her friends.

13. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

In terms of writing hubs, you should get your Christmas ones written by the middle of next month. Especially if you are hoping to sell some items through Amazon or Ebay.

I've already finished my Christmas shopping this year, everyone is getting books...

1. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

UW I would love you forever if you and I were family and you got me a book! smile

Thanks for the tip:)

14. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

I'm a bit of a Scrooge this year. Last Christmas was incredibly depressing, and I haven't had the courage to make any plans this year. And my two kids got married, which drained the coffers big time. (But they were beautiful weddings and I'm so glad to have doubled my number of rational adults related to me.)

So, I'm thinking of just hiding my wallet. [Sigh...]

But maybe the next month will help. I wrote my Christmas hub, a story. But I have NO desire to write any Christmas music this year. I cancelled my traditional concert. Just can't do it.

Boy, I'm in a fine mood about it, ain't I???

Maybe it'll get better...

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

found it, here's your cure~~ sit back and listen to the magic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_m054tL … re=related

Music?  Would like to hear some of the music you composed.  Even if you don't have your concert, you should play to lift your own heart this Christmas:) You have a month and a half to relax from your spending free!

15. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

daniel, it sounds like you are in need of a good dose of The Velveteen Rabbit. try to find the reading done by Meryl Strep~
    it will cheer you up.

16. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
    GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years ago

Yeah it is certainly...

But I wish Christmas will be everyday though wakikik smile

17. LRobbins profile image45
    LRobbinsposted 14 years ago

It seems strange writing about Christmas before Halloween, but I just finished my first Christmas hub.  It will be here before we know it!

That's great your first Christmas Hub:) Looks like your doing well, your points look good, and you have some interesting topics:)  Keep on Hubbing!!  After tonight, it will be easier to get into the Christmas Mode:)

18. myawn profile image61
    myawnposted 14 years ago

I didn't recieve a lot of Christmas gifts last year because of the economy. I got my warm cozy slippers and a nice blankie yeah! What I got I really cherished . I will be making gift baskets to give this year.

I've given gift baskets at Christmas to my brothers, they loved them, it was their favorite gift:)  It did have homemade cookies, and lemon cake and other goodies.  They are allot of work, but worth it if you have the time and little money.  Have fun, your family will love you even more! They do warm the heart:)

19. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

Im not ready, I got to get stuff made to stock the store, get my special orders for gift baskets, special candles and jewelry started, and get my online store going...and save some money to buy my daughter something special..
    Im not excited over Christmas, but I hope my business really taks off for the season..my adopted mom passsed away christmas eve, 2000...ever since, and even before that really, I never got excited because of bad christmas memories as a child and a teenager..this christmas may be mentally worse, my husband has been drinking heavily and started becomig overly abusive the past 6 months and its geting worse, we even had an episode tonight where my house got destroyed and I had to call 911 for help..and he got out of it, he is a goood lier to cops and courts..he didnt get me a birthday present this year, so I doubt Ill get anything for Christmas, heck, I might get divorce papers from him..who knows

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through.  Remember safety is first.  You have to feel safe in your own home.  Do you have a friend or family member you can confide in? 

I have faced situations not with a drunk, but a controlling ex-spouse and a family member who was a hostile person.  It wasn't till I left, did they look at getting help.  A person can only take so much...and sometimes we enable them, by putting up with their actions.  I will be praying for your safety and that God can help you make the right decisions.

20. bearnmom profile image68
    bearnmomposted 14 years ago

Ok I concur -- I actually love Halloween better than Christmas.  My point is that it takes time and is expensive to make all those Christmas delights so you have to spread it out so you can do all the baking you want to do.  Baking is an expression of love.  Yes, enjoy each holiday in and for itself but it never hurts to be prepared.

21. Betty Reid profile image60
    Betty Reidposted 14 years ago

I use to go in order of holidays, but greeting cards are cheaper if you buy them early, and shutterfly.com offered 30% off calendars if you bought them before November 1.

Great something new to know.  I'll check out your hubpages too:) Merry Christmas!!

22. zmansfam profile image57
    zmansfamposted 14 years ago

Here is a gift you can give Please consider and pass it on!

VOTE HAVOC
    http://radiobase1.clearchannel.com/fron … filterby=H

Check out my hub for more info

23. K Partin profile image60
    K Partinposted 14 years ago

Been all decorated for a while.....shopping now that's another story! yikes

24. profile image51
    IrvingHebertposted 14 years ago

All the more reason to write Christmas hubs as soon as possible and get your amazon items in gear.Recently I came to know that there is a website named AmazingWatcher.Com which is a free website that will “watch” items for you on Amazon and let you know when amazon has them in stock at regular retail price.It got so awesome!
    Good luck everybody!

25. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Now is the time to be writing Valentine's Day hubs, the Christmas window is all but closed for this year...

1. blue dog profile image60
      blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

maybe he means xmas '10, or '11...

Great Suggestion!  Valentine's will be here before we know it!

26. profile image49
    kate_smithposted 13 years ago

Christmas is almost a few months away from today. For cool christmas gift ideas, you can check out the most popularchristmas gift ideas today as voted by the user community on itsThoughtful.com. Its cool to see what other users find interesting.

27. M.s Fowler profile image43
    M.s Fowlerposted 13 years ago

Yes it truely is. It is always important to get started early. When it comes to Christmas because most of the time if you don't. It will be the most exspensivve holiday ever. It all depends on where you go and how much stuff you plan on buying!

28. zzron profile image57
    zzronposted 13 years ago

Santa Clause is comming to town. Are you ready?

29. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

oh my....it's waaaaaaay too early for me to think of this holiday....i'm still hoping for a bit more summer.

30. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Boooooooyacka! cannot wait until Santa arrives with all my bloody presents....I wanted a train set, I wonder if he'll bring it!!!

Merry Christmas!

31. privateye2500 profile image40
    privateye2500posted 13 years ago

I cannot express how much I dread the coming of this commercial holiday.  It has for at least 2 decades been 98% about buy buy buy - money money money.

I have watched people who barely get by day to day go into massive credit card debt over it.  I have a friend who went bankrupt over it - trying to "keep up with the Jones".

No matter what one says about "oh it's all about family and we only give out homemade gifts, blaa blaa blaa...tell that to the kids who have been so brainwashed by TV and friends that if you gave them a homemade gift - they'd be sent spinning into depression for a year.

Nope - my plan is to go to the soup kitchen and help out as much as I can.  It's just another day...AND...if you have *enough* - SHARE IT.  Not just on holidays but EVERY DAY.

32. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

Christmas is no fun anymore, I have no children and my husband isn't into anything that requires gifts.

My mom always want to get me something, but she asks me what I want and I tell her it doesn't matter. I like a little mystery, yet she insists so I tell her, and so I always know what it is.

Christmas just isn't very magical anymore.

33. lcg4jc profile image71
    lcg4jcposted 13 years ago

I am excited this year for Christmas. I too am in a very tight budget as I think most people are, but it doesn't matter. I feel the joy of celebrating with my sons, their girlfriends, friends and singing carols, playing the piano and enjoying one another's company. I look forward to spending much time praising the Lord together as a family and thanking the Father for sending the Son.
    Last year was a blur, no decorating, no joy, it was only a month since my husband left after 32 years, but the Lord has restored my joy. This year my heart is elated to celebrate Christ's first advent with people that truly love me.
    We have decided because we are all on a budget, we would simply do Kris Kringle. Everyone decided to place three things they would like on a piece of paper with their name on it and that would be the only gift one would have to spend money. We also placed a limit that all of us would abide by so no one would feel less important than another.

Yet, upon reading some of these great ideas, I think I will add a little extra to the celebration and maybe try the basket giving, or making special things that would touch their hearts, perhaps even a letter from my heart just thanking them for being who they are in my life?
    I don't know the possibilities are endless.
    If I was excited before, I am even more excited now. Yay

1. profile image51
      MapleBlossomposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What a beautiful post...I understand about the joyless Christmas...happened to me a couple of years ago too. But it's always great to see someone inspired enough to rise above it and be so grateful for what/who they do have in their lives. Also love your idea of a letter from the heart. May it be a blessed Christmas for you and your loved ones.
      And thanks "heart4theword" for the hub...reminded me how little time there really is to get going!

34. rihamah profile image61
    rihamahposted 13 years ago

I agree with your post that we should all get ready for Christmas soon enough to avoid the rush, that is what I personally do. I've written some hubs about Christmas decorations and Christmas gifts but my favorite one is a hub about Harry Potter Christmas gift ideas for fans from all ages @ http://hubpages.com/hub/Harry-Potter-6- … Wands-Fans with the new movie being released and all. My son is a great Harry Potter fan and I'll get him one of the Harry Potter LEGO sets.
    If you have the time please check it out and leave me your comment I'd love to know what you think of it.

35. Christine S profile image60
    Christine Sposted 13 years ago

I used to love christmas when my children were small, but now they are grown and have children of their own. Although I still love christmas and all that it entails, sadly for me it isn't the same. I use to love the look on their faces when they woke up and the excitement that was for everyone to see. It used to be held at our place and getting together with everyone was wonderful, big family get togethers, eating and laughing all day. But now everyone has their own family commitments and trying to organise it all it a nightmare. I still spend christmas with my children and grandchildren but it has a different feel about it now. Life goes on.

36. ashergben profile image42
    ashergbenposted 13 years ago

it is very busy time for me to decorate christmas tree and buying christmas gift but  i am happy.. merry christmas to all people in the world

37. jokeapptv profile image60
    jokeapptvposted 13 years ago

yes its a fun time, just listening to the radio, fixing lites.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)