Here comes Xmas!!

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (32 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I sold two toys today, this means only one thing.... Christmas is finally here!

I achieved the 7% threshold for the first time this month also, I have a battle on my hands to achieve the 7.5%. It provides me with motivation though.

$328 this month on Amazon, by far my best month on Amazon ever! More than $8000 worth of items shipped (average item value $67!).

Anybody else getting excited by Xmas earnings?

1. Len Cannon profile image88
      Len Cannonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How did you ship over 8000 dollars worth of merchandise and only make $300?  At 7% it should be well over $500.

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You failed to consider the 4% cap for electronics, and the $25 cap for laptops.

I got $25 commissions for a $2349 Macbook Pro.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/53848#post1229651

1. profile image0

Caps which you have clearly always been aware of, I must add, considering your previous claims to have sold numerous electronics and your wide portfolio of hubs selling electronic devices such as games consoles.

1. Len Cannon profile image88

Game consoles don't count as electronics and never sell for more than $600.

1. profile image0

Well the same applies nonetheless. I make 4% on electronics just like you, and $25 maximum for laptops just like you. Not rocket science, if you didn't know this then you do now.

The monetary value of electronics is irrelevant anyway, the cap is 4% if it cost $1 and 4% if it cost $600. I sold lots of electronics, therefore my average is less than 7%, simples.

2. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

commission tier rates are not retroactive - you receive the rate applicable when item ships

you get 7% items only on the items you sell after reaching that tier.

so n x 4% + n x 6% + n x 6.5% + n x 7% = AffSum

1. profile image0

Think you may be wrong their Sunforged?

My commissions for all items that have shipped this month rose to 7% today, with the exception of electronics which remained at 4%. A laptop went up to 6.6%, restricted by the cap of $25 (previously this was of course 6.5%).

So a $10 book which I sold at the beginning of the month is defo showing as earning me 70 cents, etc.

Are you on the same payment plan? Anyway, the most depressing thing is seeing that 1.06% next to $2349.00!!

1. sunforged profile image71
            sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ive been at 6.5% since around day 2 of the month ( i sell a ton of shitty no cost items)- i guess i should peek - but ive never seen a jump in past commissions after reaching a new tier. Sorry if that was misinformation

edit: sorry I never noticed 6% was missing - seems I sell mostly electronics (well actually the asses categorize the accessories as electronics, they are not)  so when I look at my report in full its has a large amount of 4% and then 6.5% again the items are not electronics so until you guys pointed it out, I hadnt noticed it was miscategorized.

I hit 7% last month but was in the very last days, so again didnt put the finetooth comb over the report.

my bad

1. profile image0

Nope, that aint bad Sunforged, that is GOOD wink

But yeah, those damn electronics! I would have rinsed out on that extra 0.5% if only that cap didn't exist!

2. Len Cannon profile image88

I don't think that's true? Maybe it is for foreign accounts.  All of my items are listed as earning 7% this month.  Just to make sure I checked an item I know I shipped at the beginning of the month and it is definitely earning the full 7%, I did the math.

1. profile image0

So you didn't sell a single thing from the electronics category and never have?

2. Misha profile image63
            Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep, it is retroactive within one calendar month - at least for me. smile Though my highest rate never been more than 6.5% yikes

2. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

OH no!!!! to xmas shopping so early. Im not ready for al ltha tyet!!  YEAH!!! for you and sales and it looks like your recovering from surgery. Hope al lis well.   smile

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...good for you and whoever makes money from xmas....

...me, i'm still in summer mode....ack!

4. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I still have not sold one item from Amazon yet. I even have their items as a store in my own sites. Just not good at pushing them I guess. hmm

5. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I've noticed a small upswing in expensive electronics, it still seems a little early though.  Late september/early october is a baby boom month, with October 5th being the most celebrated birthday day on earth.  I usually see a mild drop in late october before it really picks up pace for Christmas.

1. profile image0

Are there any more baby boom months?

I know tonnes of people with birthdays a few days either side of mine. Say 1st March - 7th March.

In fact my birthday is 4th March, so is my best mates, and so is my fiances. At university I had to share my birthday with two other people in our extended group with the same birtday, and one other with a 3rd March birthday.

Is early March well known for this too? Or am I just extremely unfortunate to have to share my birthday with so many others?

2. bayoulady profile image69
      bayouladyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow, thisisoli, I didn't know about the date Oct. 5th. I was a SEPT. baby,though. (Sorry, I just love trivia! Helps out business to know that one,too!)COOL!

3. sagebrush_mama profile image59
      sagebrush_mamaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's an interesting stat!  I have two children with October birthdays, one one just a few days past the 5th. 

My Amazon sales did better this month, hit the 7% mark!  A few holiday related items!

6. Daniel Carter profile image61
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

The Christmas season begins in September in the music world. For schools it actually begins in July/August. Third and fourth quarters in the music biz make up for all the slowness and loss of business in the first two quarters. So, all these new music vids I've been creating are actually a little behind schedule, but at least I'm getting them done this year!

We'll see how they rank and if they help sell that warehouse of inventory....

1. profile image0

Daniel, I was wondering actually. How come you don't sell MP3 versions of your tracks via your Hubpages through Amazon capsules? And physical copies in fact?

7. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I totally agree with Oli. Two of my 3 kids have an October birthday, and it was always a scramble to reserve dates for birthday parties because there were soooo many birthdays being celebrated! That's what happens when you live in a climate where February is so cold and dreary. smile

8. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I just found a list which suggests that the early March week is much more common than any other weeks in Jan, Feb, March and April.

But, you are completely correct. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/19/busin … table.html

September is mental. Strange how the least common is 25th December, big coincidence*

*although probably one which can be accounted for in the unwillingess of a pregnant lady to have an induced or controlled birth around this date.

9. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

Oct. and Nov. are typical baby boom months.

I've done no christmas shopping yet, i have to get through my son's wedding and both of their birthdays...

I have seen some amazon sales so I'm hoping to see more.

10. jenblacksheep profile image69
    jenblacksheepposted 13 years ago

I know 4 people who have birthdays on the 26th September and 3 who have birthdays on the 18th March. I've always thought Sept/Oct were popular months for birthdays. Once when I was in a taxi the driver told me his birthday was 25th Dec, but it is weird that you rarely get people with birthdays on the 25th. Mine's the 23rd Dec and people are always really surprised when I tell them.

Must write some more Xmas hubs. Hopefully last years xmas hubs will start picking up soon ... all 4 of them!

11. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

I'm excited, because I just know there is going to be an increase this year for sure with Amazon and Ebay....Amazon is fluctuating for me as my last months earnings was just below my record Amazon earnings $735 and this months is slightly lower at the moment with $612...still waiting on a few items to ship.

A new laptop is on the cards me thinks!!!

1. thisisoli profile image71
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It will be when it hits Christmas with those earnings smile

1. waynet profile image68
        waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They certainly have increased from what they was last Christmas.

12. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I've already made my Christmas Wish List!  an exercise in futility, no doubt! still . . .

13. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Somebody bought a Santa Suit yesterday and a Christmas tree ornament, so folks are definitely beginning to do their Christmas shopping.

1. Glenn Raymond profile image61
      Glenn Raymondposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have not really dug into it yet, but I do have a few things up my sleave.  Congratulations to all of you for the great sales.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)