jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

The News

1. ThompsonPen profile image84
    ThompsonPenposted 4 years ago

Ever get inspired by the news and think "Wow! That's awful! I'm going to write a story with this as a premise!" and then feel bad that you're personally getting something good from something bad?

1. psycheskinner profile image81
      psycheskinnerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

There is a series of murders from the 70s and 80s I think could be fictionalized into a great novel.  But I hesitate to do so.  The killer's motive was interesting but it is recent history that affects real people.

2. Zelkiiro profile image87
      Zelkiiroposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That's exactly what some writers do, though I forget what they call it. I'll call it "nonfiction murder mystery."

But those writers who write nonfiction murder mysteries can offer a good deal of insight to a case, and potentially help solve a crime that had long gone unsolved. I have no examples to pull out of my rear-end, however, so I'll be going now.

1. ThompsonPen profile image84
        ThompsonPenposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I'd never thought of that. I'm not a mystery writer, though what got me thinking about this and actually inspired me was the whole Supreme Court taking out Section 5 of the Voting Rights, which protected the voting rights of minorities. It got my wheels-a-turning.

working