To be kind and gentle or brutally honest ?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (20 posts)
  1. profile image52
    derekchristieposted 9 years ago

Occasionaly during an "overflow"period i appraise "works"submitted by aspiring writers to a "Publishing House"..The last one after reading,i wrote, "A dull,uninteresting read,to be returned,re-wrote and possibly resubmitted at a later date"..I could have wrote "It was a tsunami of incoherent mind vomit ,which should be sent to a re-cycling plant"....Which would you do,offer delusional hope or be brutal and truthful.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image91
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think it is possible to be truthful without being brutal. Your first comment is truthful, is it not?  Being polite is still an important value.

2. peachpurple profile image81
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

i say, politeness and truth but don't be rude. Everyone is here to interact

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
      Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Why do you get to appraise "works" at a "Publishing House" when your own writing is so full of grammatical errors? These errors include missing commas, jumbled spacing, uncapitalized letters, needlessly capitalized letters, needless quotation marks and incorrect use of English. Are you paid for this work?

I have given myself permission to to edit your post to understand it better. I hope you don't mind.

Occasionally, during an overflow period, I appraise works which were written by aspiring writers and then submitted to a publishing house. After reading the last one, I wrote, "A dull, uninteresting read, to be returned, re-written and resubmitted at a later date." I could have written, "It was a tsunami of incoherent mind vomit and should be sent to a re-cycling plant!"

Q. Which would you do: offer delusional hope or be brutal and truthful?

Regarding the comment: "It was a tsunami of incoherent mind vomit and should be sent to a re-cycling plant!" If you even have such negative thoughts about the sincere efforts of others, you should not accept this type of work.

A. I believe this kind of brutal criticism is completely uncalled for in a civilized society. Honesty is the best policy. Furthermore "dull and uninteresting" is not much help. It is too vague. You need to be specific and give examples. For instance, "Your work could be more inspiring if you indicated how you managed to dig your way out of the collapsed mineā€¦" or whatever.
      KLH

1. profile image0
        M L Morganposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well written!! I want to steal your mind and run away with it smile xx

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Dear M L Morgan, 
               Its easy! Just edit, edit and edit again! Its all about the visual presentation. I think being an Art major helped me. Its also quite fun with this "new" computer/keyboard technology. (There really is no excuse for misspelled words and bad grammar.) Everything is based on what is logical. Don't be afraid to edit after posting. I'm not.

2. Samantha Sinclair profile image54
    Samantha Sinclairposted 9 years ago

I was always taught to point out a positive, then the negatives when giving a critique. Be truthful, even brutal, if needed. So, a little bit of both, to answer your question. Sometimes, you need a kick in the butt to get better.

3. profile image0
    M L Morganposted 9 years ago

Is this Simon Cowell in disguise? wink

4. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 9 years ago

I try to be kind and gentle at first and it also depends on the individual .
    A jerk would probably get the brutal treatment if they don't appreciate my kindness...wink

5. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

When I use feedback language such as your first example, people on this site consider that to be brutally honest.

6. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

I think you job is to be clear and specific.  That is not really a matter of kind or cruel--it is unemotive.

7. honghanhvt1182 profile image93
    honghanhvt1182posted 9 years ago

I think you should use the appropriate feedback language like many other people suggest. It not only is more helpful to the writers but also helps you to appear more professional. In the end, it is hard to completely judge the value of a works, and your opinions regarding it are just your opinions anyway. Many bestselling books including the Harry Potter have been deemed as uninteresting and turned down many times before. So imagine how you would feel if the author you brutally offend ends up  becoming even way more successful than you!

8. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 9 years ago

I think you should be as objective, professional and truthful as possible, while using correct English. (Such as, "should be rewritten"  and "I could have written".) No need for delusional hope, if you don't see any.

9. profile image52

In the midst of the word he was trying to say.In the midst of his laughter and glee.He had softly and suddenly vanished away-For the Snark was a Boojum ,you see.(Lewis Carrol)........The correspondence was "in house"so to speak,not to the writer.,sorry called away,continue later.

10. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

I hope your appraisals use correct grammar and punctuation.

11. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 9 years ago

Oh my....Looks like you set yourself up for some honest feedback.  That you are appraising the work of others is rather comical.  My mind wandered off to imagining Charles Manson's mother teaching parenting classes.
    In response to your needless-to-ask question:  Which one of your comment examples would you be more likely to appreciate?  The truth that most people prefer not to hear, is brutal enough without adding a sharp stick in the eye.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

if its an April fools joke, its a little early.

1. fpherj48 profile image61
        fpherj48posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Kathryn......or terribly late!!  LOL

12. profile image52

K.L.H,never start a sentence without a capital letter,even i know that.Do you think there is a kind of seity in condemnation of grammar used by others when we make mistakes ourselves.Quote,  if its an April fools joke,its a little early.  List your own grammar mistakes.

13. profile image52

fpherj48.It was reverse psychology at its best,to draw honest feedback from this audience and i have to state your comparison to Manson was superb .I would never dream of insulting or to degrade an aspiring writer.There are quite a few here who don't pull their punches and would make excellent critics.Good Luck.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)