jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Who is the better judge of your writing...you or the reader?

1. Wayne Brown profile image83
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

Who is the better judge of your writing...you or the reader?

2. Christopher Floyd profile image61
    Christopher Floydposted 7 years ago

The writer has the fortunate position of knowing more intimately what his or her characters look like, sound like, et cetera. Also, the writer knows his or her intent better. But, if the writer does not convey these things in a credible or comprehensible (or passionate) way, then he has failed his readers.
    The reader, on the other hand, not only has the discretion to read or not read a writer's work, but can also judge from their own experiences or tastes whether or not the writer did his job well enough. For a given piece there is one writer, and an uncountable number of readers. I think the readers are the better judge. For my own writing, I depend on input from readers. It is crucial to me as a writer. I know I can write, but I want to be better.
    A point of order: Slush readers and editors, though readers, do not necessarily get to be good judges of writing. They often get too many good pieces for a given submission period and simply can't publish them all. 
    At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

3. Jarn profile image73
    Jarnposted 7 years ago

Depends whether or not the reader regards my work as a piece of literary genius. If so, then their judgment is better. If not, then mine is clearly superior smile

4. HubCrafter profile image69
    HubCrafterposted 7 years ago

Jarn's tongue-in-cheek answer is a pretty good one. The question of what "good" writing is...depends on what you're looking for (if you're a reader) and about what you intend (if you're the writer).

One way to answer this is to find out how "popular" the readers decide an author is. But popular may also mean the lowest common denominator...it appeals to the greatest number of readers. But that doesn't mean the work is "good". It just mean a lot of people read it.

My idea of "good" writing might turn off most readers...like classic literature does to most readers.

Writing has so many forms and purposes...prose, fiction, biography, poetry, journalism, editorial, etc...what's "good" in one form is, perhaps, "bad" if used in another form.

5. skyskater profile image55
    skyskaterposted 7 years ago

aha, a tough question. but when you say judge, there should be an audience too, right? the better judge is the one who can best read and judge it like (based on) the audience it's meant for

6. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

I'd have to say that in the end it's the reader(s), as most everyone could think that they were brilliant without feedback from others.

7. Apostle Jack profile image61
    Apostle Jackposted 7 years ago

Feed-back from the world give more awareness to what is written.

8. eBuddy profile image74
    eBuddyposted 7 years ago

We write for readers, in the end readers judge everything, thanks to readers we all seek income in writing.

working