jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Do people still use the word "posthaste" any more?

1. BlissfulWriter profile image66
    BlissfulWriterposted 6 years ago

Do people still use the word "posthaste" any more?

I've heard the use of the word decades ago.   Is the word still being used?  I don't want to embarrass myself (and show my age) by using a word that is no longer being used anymore.

2. Robephiles profile image90
    Robephilesposted 6 years ago

I use it it but then again I enjoy using anachronistic words and idioms.

3. Frank Atanacio profile image81
    Frank Atanacioposted 6 years ago

I hated when folks used it almost as I hate when people say Having said that.. drives me crazy...  Good question my friend

4. profile image47
    AliciaLouiseposted 6 years ago

I too enjoy using words like "posthaste".  However, I have to admit my enjoyment is in no small part due to how much I annoy my family with this sort of verbiage!

5. Rob Winters profile image86
    Rob Wintersposted 6 years ago

It's not something i hear everyday but it's definately still in relatively common usage.

6. Naomi's Banner profile image79
    Naomi's Bannerposted 6 years ago

I have read this word but have not ever heard this word used in education, conversation or otherwise.  I am thinking this word is rather dated but could be used if the written work is appropriate for aged content.

7. Rochelle Frank profile image96
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

I'm thinking the same as Naomi. There may be regional differences. I doubt that you would hear or even see it written in the US. I don't think I have ever heard or used  it in conversation.

8. The Ghostwriter profile image74
    The Ghostwriterposted 6 years ago

I only use it in a sort of mimic "fear not, I shall execute this posthaste".

It's a bit of a strange word really, does it mean 'after speed'?

9. truthfornow profile image84
    truthfornowposted 6 years ago

I have never heard this word used in "real" life.  But, it might just be that the circle of people I am around don't use it.

working