jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Does watching the news or reading the daily newspaper make you depressed?

1. nina64 profile image82
    nina64posted 5 years ago

Does watching the news or reading the daily newspaper make you depressed?

With all the negative stories on the news and in the newspaper, it just makes you think that life is shown in such a terrible light. Of course, there are some positive news articles as well that will uplift your spirit. There is no right or wrong answer.

2. mactavers profile image90
    mactaversposted 5 years ago

Stories of natural disasters, violent crimes, and wrongdoings are always a downer; however, medical breakthroughs, human interest stories, business information, home decorating, sports, movie and restaurant and book reviews, keep me reading the local and statewide news.  For real comedy, and tradgedy, read about politicians everywhere.

3. Hayley Richardson profile image83
    Hayley Richardsonposted 5 years ago

Yes, I find the news alternately depressing and anger inducing.

4. Levertis Steele profile image84
    Levertis Steeleposted 5 years ago

Once I felt that it was my duty as a good citizen to stay informed about what was going on around me and throughout the world. What a better way to do that than through the media, especially television at that time. I complained to my doctor that negative news caused me depression and anxiety problems. He said, "Try punching that on/off button the next time it makes you depressed. You might want to think about not watching it at all." Easy. I tried it. What therapy!

5. Seeker7 profile image97
    Seeker7posted 5 years ago

Yes these kinds of stories do make me feel very down and if you are bit under the weather or a bit low in mood anyway, reading the newspapers/watching the news doesn't help. To counter act all the doom and gloom I look out for good news articles or articles that are amusing. The internet has some excellent, good-news sites.

6. wearing well profile image76
    wearing wellposted 5 years ago

I think that it is about time that we had a yin and yang channel which had equal amounts of negative and positive news;after all it is the reality of life.
    To answer your question, I personally find that I can find myself glued to the tv when traumatic events are taking place in the world and unfortunately not being able to do anything about it to help people in need, other than to pray or donate dependent upon the situation.
    Although it does make me feel depressed about the world at large,the flip side is being able to also feel grateful for being safe and well at home with my family too !
    P.S.Thank goodness for the humour to be found here at Hubpages too smile

7. privateye2500 profile image44
    privateye2500posted 5 years ago

Yes.  I stopped watching the news.  One could say "Well, you are just uninformed!" or the like, but it is so depressing and miserable; and I can't change it!

What is the POINT of watching it?  It really does not affect my life -  I cannot CHANGE it so why burden myself with it?

My life has enough to deal with in it already without other people and things external thrown into the mix!

8. Teylina profile image61
    Teylinaposted 5 years ago

I gotta go w/ wearing well. Maybe it's because I'm older and have been through and seen so much--not sure. I may cry at the time, feel so blessed, and want to help others so much, it could be depressing. But it's not. To me, it's symbolic of all wrongs in this world heightening exponentially at the same time (also exponentially). Just glad I know how to laugh and be grateful I'm (nor friends) are on the screen! And, no, I NEVER laugh at other's misfortunes only my own stupid mistakes that could have put me there. As far as a yin-yang channel--not a bad idea. Brian Williams started w/a hero or heroic event each evening, so why not. He had a great idea. Maybe somebody should look into it.

9. ytsenoh profile image87
    ytsenohposted 4 years ago

Watching local news is depressing because of all the emphasis on bad news and sad news.  I like reading the news on-line or watching cable news to see what's going on everywhere.  Unfortunately, the flavor we receive from local news is almost what the majority tunes in to hear, so it seems.  There needs to be more of a balance of what's being delivered.  The CBS Sunday Morning News program has so much positive appeal because it's a calming resource that has journalistic stories and interviews.  Check it out if you haven't seen it yet.

working