jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

How often do you write the old fashioned way, pen to paper?

1. DanaTeresa profile image84
    DanaTeresaposted 5 years ago

How often do you write the old fashioned way, pen to paper?

It seems everyone these days has a desktop, laptop, or tablet. We use them to write articles, books, emails, ecards, ewhatevers. So much of what we write exists only on a screen. Unless you print it out in that cold hard text. We even download and read books electronically. How often do you actually put pen to paper???

2. geoffclarke profile image83
    geoffclarkeposted 5 years ago

Almost never. The last time I actually penned a letter was just before Xmas about one year ago. I had just finished reading the excellent novel 'The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society' by Mary Ann Shafer and Annie Barrows. The book is very cleverly written in the form of letters between the key characters in the story. At the same time, I received a hand-written letter from an ex-journalist friend of mine. Immediately I was inspired to reply with a hand-written letter.

I really enjoyed putting pen to paper again although I must admit that my hand-writing is still terrible, and I made a few mistakes. The impact of the book quickly wore off, and I have not written a letter since.

3. Xenonlit profile image59
    Xenonlitposted 5 years ago

I write every day. I write down the titles to my articles in a little notebook. Something felt wrong about losing the ability to write by hand, so the note taking fills the bill!

4. xstatic profile image61
    xstaticposted 5 years ago

It used to be the only way I would write, but now, even my poetry is written in word.
    It is so easy to move things around and change formats.

5. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Every day.

6. Craig Suits profile image77
    Craig Suitsposted 5 years ago

Only for notes, and that's always in print. At 70, I almost forgot how to write in script...

7. Charu Bhatnagar profile image82
    Charu Bhatnagarposted 5 years ago

Almost everytime I write I prefer writing first on paper, maybe after that I copy it on computer. Sometimes I start writing on paper, then in order to save time, I end up finishing it on PC/laptop. Actually I find it easier to write on paper, and  think also alongside.

8. Pennypines profile image61
    Pennypinesposted 5 years ago

I can't live without pen & paper.  My thinking progresses as the fingers move.  I buy stacks of legal paper & write & write, think about it some, come back, correct, change, re-word, sleep on it, correct and re-write again.
    Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

9. Joyette  Fabien profile image89
    Joyette Fabienposted 5 years ago

Oh, all the time. I am old school so I try it out on paper and refine it on the screen. I like the way my thoughts flow when I have a pen or pencil in hand. On the other hand, I find the mistakes stand out better on screen so I do my editing there. Besides, it is much easier to move things around on screen than on paper.

10. Randy J Bradley profile image60
    Randy J Bradleyposted 5 years ago

I keep a daily log for my work and that is with paper and pen. But when it comes to communicating with someone. . . sorry it is all electronic. I wrote a blog post about this very question. http://lifesgoldenrule.com/2011/03/27/write-a-letter/ It quotes the author Terry Tempest Williams I would like to share just a part that we quoted.
    “The physical contact of pen to paper, the time set aside to focus thoughts, the folding of the paper into the envelope, licking it closed, addressing it, a chosen stamp, and then the release of the letter to the mailbox – are all acts of tenderness. And it doesn’t stop there. Our correspondences have wings – paper birds that fly from my house to yours – flocks of ideas crisscrossing the country. Once opened, a connection is made. We are not alone in the world.”

One of the reasons I like the written word is because, for the most part, some thought has to go into it. It just isn't what ever comes to our mind or tongue first. Even now I have hit the "Backspace" key more than anyother single key on this board!
    Great question. I am going to write a letter this week!

11. blessedp profile image81
    blessedpposted 5 years ago

For me everyday although the core of my job is the use of the computer.

12. profile image0
    alloporusposted 5 years ago

All the time. It seems it is the only way my fiction comes to life. Then, of course, I have the problem of transposing it onto the screen, only this gives it a first edit. Just goes to show that writing can be a slow process whatever the technology solutions.