Who is your favorite poet author of all time?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (38 posts)
  1. lovebuglena profile image86
    lovebuglenaposted 11 years ago

Who is your favorite poet author of all time?

2. mismazda profile image61
    mismazdaposted 11 years ago

I would have to say Maya Angelou....her poetry is influential, thought provoking, ageless, timeless, spiritual and intellectual...

lovebuglenaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maya Angelou poetry is timeless and influential indeed.

3. Mhatter99 profile image66
    Mhatter99posted 11 years ago

I have a lot, but I keep coming back to Poe.

1. SkySlave profile image72
      SkySlaveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Poe has always been one of my favorites. His bone chilling poetry has entertained me sense i was a child.  Such a great mixture of horror, suspense and romance. I think every horror movie writer has riped off a little piece of Edgar's works.

2. lovebuglena profile image86

Poe is one of the greatest poets out there...

4. jdrury profile image56
    jdruryposted 11 years ago

This is a difficult question.  Dickinson and Baudelaire come to mind, among others, but my all time favourite would have to be Poe.

5. SkySlave profile image72
    SkySlaveposted 11 years ago

Jim Morrison is by far my favorite. Most people know him best for his vocals with the Rock and Roll band the Doors. Not only is Jim's poetry incorporated the the Doors lyrics, but also in amazing poetry anthologies that can be found in just about any book store. Jim's poetic style is completely unique and personal. Jim's poetry really allows reader to tap into his mind and far beyond. If you've heard and enjoyed his music, i would strongly recommend picking up one of his poetry collections. Even though he died at the young age of 27, Jim Morrison's legacy lives on in his poetry and music.

1. toys-everywhere profile image59
      toys-everywhereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree. Jim Morrison had such talent, such skill. His mind was frightening at times, but always amazing. I just wish I could've been around to see him smile

2. Zayleen Pain profile image70
      Zayleen Painposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile glad to see someone else recognizing his talent!

6. jhamann profile image90
    jhamannposted 11 years ago

Recently I have been enthralled by W.H. Auden.  He writes such beautyful verse.  But I would have to ultimately say Theodore Reothke and Adrienne Rich.

7. Mike Dennis profile image61
    Mike Dennisposted 11 years ago

I love Edgar Allan Poe.  Love Maya Angelou.

BUT WALT WHITMAN is my all time favorite.   He's deep, passionate, wrote of everything....what a dear soul..   Love Emily Dickenson too.   blessings.

8. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

Stevie Smith, Dylan Thomas, Robert Service...all favorites and so many more.

9. HaleyMCruz profile image60
    HaleyMCruzposted 11 years ago

Geoffrey Chaucer, one of the fathers of the English language, and really showed the world how the English language could be beautiful. He wrote the Canterbury Tales, one of the best books/poems/stories I ever read! And Poe, because he's in the same boat as Chaucer in my opinion smile

10. toys-everywhere profile image59
    toys-everywhereposted 11 years ago

Edgar Allan Poe, for sure. Something about his works, every one, just fascinates and entrances me, every time smile

My second would be Sylvia Plath...her work is so cryptic and dark in such wonderful ways.

11. PurvisBobbi44 profile image90
    PurvisBobbi44posted 11 years ago

Elizabeth Barrett Browning and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

12. tnderhrt23 profile image73
    tnderhrt23posted 11 years ago

My all time favorite poet is Epigramman, ei, Hubpages very own Colin Stewart, hands down. He is colorful, clever, versatile, funny, serious, quirky, prolific, and just plain awesome!

13. bensen32 profile image78
    bensen32posted 11 years ago

Actually I dont have a favorite I just like to read poems and see what I like.

Sometimes it's hard to pick a favorite poet especially when more than one stands out to us.

14. AnnNoE profile image60
    AnnNoEposted 11 years ago

My favorite poet author of all time has to be Edgar Allan Poe. His Poetry is haunting; His stories are dark and dismal - just like his life. He was always true to his art, and his works are timeless. His star is fixed surely in the firmament.

Great answer. There is something special about Poe that attracts readers to his work...

15. vtwilli profile image78
    vtwilliposted 11 years ago

Edgar Allen Poe. I love his style. How could anyone not reverence in his skill

16. ytsenoh profile image61
    ytsenohposted 11 years ago

Ah, Emily Dickinson.  I like so many poets, but Dickinson's writing influenced me early on, including her life history.

I am  not a huge fan of Emily Dickinson for some reason. Can't quite put my finger on why.

17. GPAGE profile image58
    GPAGEposted 11 years ago

Leonard Cohen, Maya Angelou....I write poetry too and it seems to flow like a song......

Some poetry does have that song quality to it...

18. profile image0
    cynamansposted 11 years ago

My personal favorite poet is Maya Angelou. she is simply amazing. I also enjoy reading the poetry of Emily Dickinson, Robert Frost, Langston Hughes and Paul Laurence Dunbar. As for my favorite Author, I would have to say Steven King without a doubt. He is the greatest story teller ever. I just adore him.

19. Thelma Alberts profile image91
    Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

My most favorite is Edgar Allan Poe besides many others.

20. Zayleen Pain profile image70
    Zayleen Painposted 11 years ago

My favorite poet woukd overall be jim morrison , but I can't decide between edgar allen poen kurt cobain, charles bukoski, and my newest fav awful poet.

21. Radikum profile image60
    Radikumposted 11 years ago

Hmmmm... My favorite poet? I would say William Blake. This guy is left-field with his poetry and I like it.

What do you mean by "this guy is left-field with his poetry"?

22. Mama Kim 8 profile image83
    Mama Kim 8posted 11 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7057865_f260.jpg

I enjoy many of the poets mentioned by others here. However one of my favorites has yet to be mentioned and he deserves a huge shout out... Shel Silverstein! His poems were a big part of my childhood. My sister would read them to me as bedtime stories and now I read them to my own children.

23. profile image0
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 11 years ago

Unfair question. There are just too many great poets to mention all. Guess Edgar Allen Poe comes to mind, Dylan and a lot of others because each has at least a few poem which especially inspire. It wouldn't be write not to mention my dad who was a famous Latvian poet and unfortunately all of his works which have also been published are in Latvian. I'm considering on how to translate and share. I guess translating poetry is one of the most difficult things.

There are many poets out there and it is true that more than one can some kind of impact on our lives, can connect with us on some level or another.

24. KiriLiz profile image61
    KiriLizposted 11 years ago

I love reading classic poets like Tennyson (Charge of the Light Brigade) as well as humorous poets such as Lewis Carroll. I love his parodies!

25. BEAUTYBABE profile image67
    BEAUTYBABEposted 11 years ago

I love Elizabeth Barratt Browning, Keats and Banjo Patterson. There are others I love just as much, too many to mention.

BB

26. krillco profile image86
    krillcoposted 11 years ago

Few realize it, but Jim Morrison of the Doors fame started as a poet. He was very good.

Wow! That is interesting information. I didn't know he was a poet.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)