Who are your favorite two poets?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Poethepoet profile image68
    Poethepoetposted 11 years ago

Who are your favorite two poets?

2. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 11 years ago

John Donne, Gerard Manly Hopkins, closley followed by John Lennon, Bob Dylan.

1. Rod Marsden profile image67
      Rod Marsdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

John Donne and John Lennon are so radically different from one another yet they are both excellent choices. They are also separated from one another by quite a few centuries.

3. Goody5 profile image59
    Goody5posted 11 years ago

I would have to go with your namesake, Edgar Allen Poe. Who else could write a poem way back in the 1800's which continues to be so popular today that an NFL football team would borrow their name "The Ravens" from it? Now for the second poet, I don't even have to stop and think about that answer for one second. It would have to be the world renown and beloved children's poet Dr. Seuss.

I would have to say Edgar Allen Poe is an excellent choice.

4. carol3san profile image59
    carol3sanposted 11 years ago

I've always liked the poetry of Langston Hughes and James Weldon Johnson.  They are both from the Harlem Renaissance Era.  I also like Nikki Giovanni who started her poetry writing back in the late 60's and 70's.  In her poetry, she tells the story of her life as a young girl and as an adult.

5. LauraD093 profile image71
    LauraD093posted 11 years ago

Plath and Piercy are two of my favorites...I enjoy poetry and exploring the work of newer poets is always fun . It is really hard to narrow it down to two.

6. Atiquemr9 profile image44
    Atiquemr9posted 11 years ago

Two of my alltime favorite bengali poets are Rabindranath Tagore & Jibanananda Das.

7. eHealer profile image64
    eHealerposted 11 years ago

Lord Byron was totally dreamy and E.E. Cummings were my favorite, followed by Bruce Springsteen, Mayo Angelou and Tupac Shakur. An honorable mention goes out to Bob Dylan and James Joyce.

Lord Byron was a bit of a radical in his time and James Joyce would have to be one of the strangest of Irish 20th Century poets. Both are lively choices.

8. Rod Marsden profile image67
    Rod Marsdenposted 11 years ago

I would say British poet Alfred, Lord Tennyson for a start. His poem 'Flower in the Crannied Wall' was written in the 19th Century but, oddly enough, within it you glimpse some of the directions 20th and then 21st century natural science would and in fact has moved in. A plant can hold the secrets of the universe? In this poem you can see how that might well be possible.

I would next add the great 19th Century poet, Banjo Paterson. His poems about the bush remind an Australian of the swashbuckling past. There's 'The Man from Snowy River', and of course 'Clancy of the Overflow'.

If I had a third choice I would throw in American poet Robert Frost.

A fourth choice would definitely be John Donne. I really like his poem 'The Flea'.

John Lennon's poetry used to crack me up so put him down as number five if you like.

1. MickS profile image60
      MickSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

John Donne, Where do you find the words
      Go and catch a falling star
      Get with child a mandrake root
      Tell me where all past years are
      And who cleft the devil's foot
      Teach me to hear mermaids singing
      And to fend of envy's stinging...
      Song.

9. profile image0
    swagata misraposted 11 years ago

Rudyard Kipling and H L .Derozio for me...

10. chef-de-jour profile image94
    chef-de-jourposted 11 years ago

A poet who has fascinated me for years is Wallace Stevens, so playful, deep, puzzling and textured. Man On The Dump is a classic poem.
    Another favourite is Paul Muldoon, the Irish poet; his form, knowledge, humour and tongue in cheek roughness make him very entertaining.

11. KiriLiz profile image60
    KiriLizposted 11 years ago

Alfred, Lord Tennyson... love his "Charge of the Light Brigade!"

And for the second... I love reading the parodies of Lewis Carroll, author of the Alice in Wonderland books.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)