Who is your favorite all time poet?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

Who is your favorite all time poet?

I have said it before and I will say it again -- some of my favorite poets are right here on HubPages. Some of the are Romeo's Quill, Wayne Brown, Gypsy Rose Lee, Ken Snowden, Nellieanna, and arijitm2000. There are many more here that I wish I could mention, these are just a few. My favorite poets of the past are William B. Yeats, Oscar Wilde, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Robert Frost, and Edgar Alan Poe.

2. Elizabeth Bowers profile image72
    Elizabeth Bowersposted 9 years ago

My favorite poet of all time is Alfred Lord Tennyson, but I also like Robert Browning and Edgar Allen Poe.  There are many other poets that I enjoy, but these three are my favorites.  I'm excited about getting to find new poets to enjoy on HubPages!

Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Elizabeth, you will certainly enjoy reading the poets on HP.  We have some of the finest you can find. Thank you for contributing to this question.

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

Okay, I will mention a few more very fine poets I enjoy reading: Jodah, Tony DeLorger and Frank Atanacio.  Still a lot more to mention as time goes by.  To all poets on HubPages, I thank you for being here and bringing me joy with your poetry.

I cannot choos a "Best Answer", for everyone has favorites based on their personal interests. So, each answer is the best one for that person.  Thank you, everyone, for participating.

4. jhamann profile image89
    jhamannposted 9 years ago

Theodore Roethke and Elizabeth Bishop are my two favorites.  But I read more hub poets than any others.  Jamie

I have not read Theodore Roethke and Elizabeth Bishop. I will have to look them up. Thanks, Jamie, for your reply.

2. jhamann profile image89
      jhamannposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Try Roethke "The Waking" and "My Papas Waltz", Bishop: "The Filling Station" and "The Armadillo"

Thanks, Jamie.

5. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 9 years ago

I don't read enough poetry to pick a favorite, but most of what I've read by the professionals and the amateurs has been enjoyable.

Thanks for your comment and participation, Sheila.   smile

6. The Examiner-1 profile image59
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

Since I was not a follower of poets the only one that I can say is William Shakespeare because his name jumps to my mind for writing poems, sonnets and plays. I also have a couple of books about his work so I guess that I have reason to say that.
    I do not remember why I purchased the books, it was quite a while ago, but I must have had a reason for selecting his name.

Well, Kevin, you selected one of the best of all time. Thank you for participating and sharing your thoughts.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image59
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ah yes, someone mentioned Poe. I never thought of him as a poet. When I was a kid I remember he wrote scary stories and remember him for "Nevermore, nevermore."

Yes, Kevin, The Raven by Poe is a very popular poem. I love it. Poe is one of my favorite poets. Annabel Lee is another great poem of his -- and he did write a lot of scary stories, The Pit and the Pendulum is very tense and scary.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image59
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think that the 'Pit an the Pendulum' and "Nevermore, nevermore" (not the poem, just those two words) are all that I remember of him.

7. chef-de-jour profile image95
    chef-de-jourposted 9 years ago

I read many poems each week, some cutting edge new and innovative, both US and UK, others from poets since deceased. I'm always dipping into Norton's anthology.
    It's not easy to pick a favourite poet - easier to pick a favourite poem!!?? I guess all poets should be praised in some form for their efforts?
    But I'll go for Wallace Stevens because he's a challenge.

Ah ! good choice then, chef. Thanks for participating.

8. Dee aka Nonna profile image61
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 9 years ago

I love the questions that are asked...so often, they just make one think and remember.  Who is my all time favorite poet?   That is a hard one.  I truly never met (or read) a poet that I did not like.  There are poems that I either did not like, or they just did not speak to me. I have a long list of poets works in my personal library---each one I enjoy for different reason.  I will keep the list here short and only mention those that spoke to me for different reasons and in different seasons of my life, but something about their words remained with me.   Beside many of the poets already mentioned---I love this all...I will add:  Rita Dove, Lucille Clifton, Nikki Giovanni, Langston Hughes, Paul Lawrence Dunbar.....and, I must add with great respect Maya Angelou....who spoke to her readers simply and eloquently, and with love and compassion.

Hi Dee, thank you for your thoughtful answer. I will have to check out those poets you mention.

9. profile image0
    mbuggiehposted 9 years ago

I would have to say Robert Frost and for these words:

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

Thanks, mbuggieh.  I love the poems of Robert Frost.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)