Does anyone know of any good modern poets?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (29 posts)
  1. emmajayne89 profile image56
    emmajayne89posted 13 years ago

Every book shop that I have ever found has a SERIOUS lack of modern poetry and, being a passionate and eager poet myself, I'm super eager to get my hands on some good books! Or even just internet links to interesting websites or poets?
    I get my weekly fix by attending poetry readings but if someone can help me with this dilemma, I will be very much appreciative! Thanks.

1. santosh1946 profile image60
      santosh1946posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The greatest modern poets are T.S Eliot and Ezra Pound. T.S. Eliot's greatest works are The Waste Land, The Hollow Men, Ash Wednesday, Four Quartets. These are easily available on every bookstore. Other important poets are ee cummings, W.H. Auden, Stephen spender, Dylan Thomas, George Barker.
      Best Wishes
      Santosh Kumar

2. Sab Oh profile image57
    Sab Ohposted 13 years ago

alternate poet, right here on hubpages is a good modern poet!

3. H.C Porter profile image80
    H.C Porterposted 13 years ago

Blonde poet is a great poet-and she us here as well

1. blondepoet profile image67
      blondepoetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh gee thanks heaps for that H.C you put a big smile on my dial. xo

1. H.C Porter profile image80
        H.C Porterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile   You are more than welcome big_smile xo

You know HC you are a great writer and so beautiful too. You light up Hubpages. smile

4. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 13 years ago

There is a vast number of writers at Writing.com including me where they write also sort of articles, from short stories, poetry and they expect people to give their best because they do judge you and rate you.

5. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image88
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 13 years ago

If you wish, next time you're on You Tube run a search on John Siddique - an excellent contemporary poet.

6. emmajayne89 profile image56
    emmajayne89posted 13 years ago

thanks so much for your suggestions! I will definitely look this stuff up smile you've all been so helpful. thank you! x

7. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I do not consider myself a poet much less even a good modern poet, however, I am sure that you can find all sorts of poetry on HubPages as well as the Internet for that matter. I hope you find what you are looking for. smile

8. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

well if you like here's the fan page to show you some of the many poets we have on hubpages.

http://hubpages.com/topics/books-and-wr … poetry/604

9. Awful Poet profile image68
    Awful Poetposted 13 years ago

Their All Hiding

Woo hoo another fellow poet smile smile

1. profile image0
        blake4dposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know a poet but I don't know their name
        So I just call out hey Mr. Poet and it rhymes
        With everything...
        Blake4d

10. profile image0
    blake4dposted 13 years ago

Blonde Poet Forever!!!!

http://i0006.photobucket.com/albums/0006/findstuff22/Best%20Images/Love/kiss21.jpg

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

wow, that's the first time i've ever seen golden lipstick before.

It is dazzling isn't it?
          Straight from the shelf at Goldfinger Bargain Makeup Counter smile

1. profile image0
            Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

yep it sure is.  it's almost dazzling as yourself.  wink

Aww Steve you are a sweety, sweeter than a toffee apple smile smile

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o173/sxcemo/apple.jpg

By the way that shade is called glazen granny smith apple gloss available from the same shop lol.

1. profile image0
                King Larryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that's because you haven't tried my toffee apple yet? wink lollollol

I reckon your toffee apple would be something King Larry...

1. profile image0
                    King Larryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

damn straight!  wink tongue lol lol

11. Ben Evans profile image65
    Ben Evansposted 13 years ago

Monte Merrick is a very good contemporary poet as well as writer.  I like alternate poet and kflippen who are here on hubpages.

A cherished moment
    is not afraid
    to give words
    a will
    by way of the writing hand.

Great poets paint with words.

12. Zenith of Emotion profile image61
    Zenith of Emotionposted 13 years ago

Francesca Lia Block has a couple decent books out there, such as "The Rose and the Beast" and "Psyche", in which the stories are told in a very "Into the Dust" fashion, but she's not for everyone.

I like her, but I've met several people who don't...

13. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Leonard Cohen

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)