jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (12 posts)

Is paper becoming extinct?

1. stricktlydating profile image82
    stricktlydatingposted 5 years ago

Is paper becoming extinct?

Now we can download books, we have e-readers and Ipads, and tablets and mobile phones, and memory sticks... We can read our newspapers online...  Do we still need a paper copy of things? Are books and paper becoming extinct?

2. JimTxMiller profile image76
    JimTxMillerposted 5 years ago

No. People are an artful, creative species. Paper always will have a place in art.

3. kingsingh profile image58
    kingsinghposted 5 years ago

Not yet but I am hopeful that it does for the environment.

4. PAPA-BEAR profile image60
    PAPA-BEARposted 5 years ago

The internet is still a baby, it has a long way to go to grow. What is interesting is how the old world of paper has been dealt a severe blow, it is reeling from it and will fall, maybe within 3 years it will be dead. Letters in the post, books, all paper will be dead. Indeed it has become good from 'green' issues but also from profits issues. Goodbye my friend the book, yes I am sad to say.

stricktlydatingposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for answering I appreciate your input!

5. John MacNab profile image84
    John MacNabposted 5 years ago

Paper may go out of fashion but I don't think it will become 'extinct.'   There are always reasons for using paper, like having hard copies.  As for the environmental issues, nowadays the forests used for making the paper, are replanted.

6. Alastar Packer profile image83
    Alastar Packerposted 5 years ago

Good question. Trees are the lungs of the planet and are vital for life. As pointed out here they are renewable resources but aren't these wonderful creations more than just "resources." Hiked one of the few old growth forests left in the East recently - what an experience- that were only there because the loggers bridge was washed out before the robber baron timber cos. could saw them down a 100 yrs ago. But we do need paper and the like or a facsimile if were assured of leaving knowledge for the future- recorders that rely on electricity alone are no guarantee of that.

stricktlydatingposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your interesting response.
      I've enjoyed reading everyones answers.

7. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

I'm beginning to think writing is becoming extinct--at least to most people.

8. safiq ali patel profile image73
    safiq ali patelposted 5 years ago

you know paper is used less and less but sometimes I just prefer the good old paper format rather that the digital or computerized. The thing with kindles and ipads and stuff is that if your device is not working your have no access to the things you need. But using less paper is probably good in a world where supplies of paper are running low.

9. profile image0
    VeronicaInspiresposted 5 years ago

I say no, NOT YET.

I think a lot of people prefer the traditional paper because of its convenience and portability. Along with the stories being more detailed and in-depth that you typically don't find with papers online.

Online papers, however, provide a better user experience--they're interactive and they save the reader time.

10. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

nope, papers still exist in this world, that is why trees are still being chopped down. Sigh

working