What is your favorite poetry genre?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (25 posts)
  1. wayne barrett profile image73
    wayne barrettposted 10 years ago

What is your favorite poetry genre?

Do you prefer; narrative, satirical, inspirational...? it is hard to choose, but if I had to pick, I would go with what I most like to read and to write: speculative poetry.

2. PHILLYDREAMER profile image78
    PHILLYDREAMERposted 10 years ago

All poetry has is worth reading with the exception of Haiku.  Just kidding on the last part, but I admit I'm not a fan of short poetic forms.

wayne barrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Haiku is easy to read, but unless it is very exceptional, there is just not enough substance to entertain me or edify me.

2. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much, Wayne, for choosing my answer as best smile  I am so sorry, Phillydreamer, as there was no other comment section listed under my question area.  Hugs, Faith Reaper

3. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 10 years ago

For me, any form of poem is interesting if it hooks me, challenges then sends me some place emotionally I've not been before. I get enjoyment from a broad range, from romantic to dark to blank verse to, yes, haiku.

Personal preference is for Nature poetry but I read lots of poems from different genres. Too much sweet confessional stuff tends to put me off unless it's got something magical up its sleeve.

Innovative poetry - the ultra modern stuff - is a bit of a brain churner but the use of language is unusual and cutting edge.

So, it's Nature poetry for me.

Again I agree. The positive thing about Nature poetry ( If it is presented well) is that it is a very 'feel good' genre.

4. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

Hmm, that is a hard choice to make, as I love all poetry of course, and especially inspirational or dramatic, but if I had to choose just one, it would be narrative, as I am for the most part a non-fiction writer, so I love to write poetry from my own experiences.

narrative would have been my second choice...mmm, maybe ( :
      I am a short story-prose writer, and to me the line between narrative poetry and the aforementioned is very fine.

2. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it is.  Your poetry written here on HP is really amazing, Wayne.

5. xstatic profile image61
    xstaticposted 10 years ago

I don't really have a preference. Speculative poetry is a favorite, along with narrative. I enjoy poems that highlight the little ironies of life, and haiku too, if it is well done.

And poetry and prose is the best way to express those little ironies.

6. Cantuhearmescream profile image76
    Cantuhearmescreamposted 10 years ago

As others have stated, I too like all forms! But, if I had to choose one... it would be whatever that kind is that the talented Wayne Barrett writes big_smile

Its called, 'The Weird and Wacky Wayneism's of Waynes' World!' ; )

2. Cantuhearmescream profile image76
      Cantuhearmescreamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Holy Macaroni! Sounds like you're on to something with that one big_smile

7. profile image0
    Rayne123posted 10 years ago

I love poetry and especially so if it tells a story, or leaves us with a bit mystery.

I in all honesty do not know the different types of poetry. I did however read about them from a hubber.

I know my poems are just whatever is in my mind and I usually like them to rhyme and for some reason I can not seem to write short poems.

I think you are referring to styles. And when it comes to styles, I also prefer just writing what is on my mind which is generally called 'free form, or free verse poetry'
      It sounds like your genre preference would be narrative.

8. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

For me it would be narrative or "free form." Although I do like all other types of poetry. But, for me when a poem really tells a story, that's what gets me.

thank you Jeff.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are very welcome Wayne.

9. Aadom23 profile image59
    Aadom23posted 10 years ago

I really don't have a preference i like all genre but the most i have read is narrative and inspirational.

You can't go wrong with inspirational!

10. shanmarie profile image71
    shanmarieposted 10 years ago

To read? Or to write? I think I prefer to read humorous poetry, or anything particularly moving or thought provoking.  To write. . .something more lyrical in nature or that expresses emotions I'm having at the moment and can't really express to random people in any verbally articulate fashion.

...and you seem to do that so well. I would probably define that as 'speculative".

2. shanmarie profile image71
      shanmarieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How do you figure that?

11. profile image0
    MrsBrownsParlourposted 10 years ago

I like unconventional free verse poetry that uses words and punctuation symbolically or or uniquely. My favorite poet is e.e.cummings. I like when poets use the visual structure (the layout) to enhance the impact of their words.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)