How long have you been writing seriously?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Laura Schneider profile image84
    Laura Schneiderposted 10 years ago

How long have you been writing seriously?

Not writing for grade school or a journal, but writing your own content whether for publication on HubPages or other online venues or for print publication or for some other serious purpose on a regular basis.

2. jabelufiroz profile image70
    jabelufirozposted 10 years ago

I have been writing seriously for a year now, but have been writing for a hobby since high school about ten years ago.

I enjoy writing; it relaxes me and helps me to escape the reality for a short while.

Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think most of us on HubPages enjoy writing and find it relaxing--you've hit the nail on the head, so to speak. It also helps me to relax and "escape the reality for a short while"--great line! Thanks for sharing your comments, jabelufiroz!

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 10 years ago

I wrote my first novel back in 2009. I would say that's the first serious writing and I'm not about to stop writing those any time soon. I've tried both blogging and having my own website, but for some reason neither held my attention for very long. I really think I found my on-line home here at Hubpages. I like the format and the people. I'm taking writing hubs seriously even though not all of my articles will be serious.

I'm totally jealous that you write novels! I love what you said about writing for HubPages--about the people and format and everything. I feel the same way. Cheers! Best of luck in all of your writing endeavors!

4. DDE profile image46
    DDEposted 10 years ago

I have been writing seriously since 2008  for many writing sites and finally got to HP which above all is my best

Hi DDE! I know what you mean--HubPages almost pulls the great writer out of the inside of all of us. We're a helpful and intelligent bunch of diverse personalities and topics, and the feedback is so helpful! I've learned a lot here! Cheers!

5. profile image52
    DMSTYLESposted 10 years ago

Since I was 11. But seriously for two years.

Excellent! And you've already got a score of 77--sounds like you're a natural to me, DMSTYLES. Don't get discouraged if you trip and fall on a given piece, (my advice for "new" writers): we dinosaurs turn out just as many losers. :-) Cheers!

6. MPG Narratives profile image61
    MPG Narrativesposted 10 years ago

I started copywriting in my 20's for various companies and publications but I feel my real writing started later when I wrote stories and articles for my own enjoyment more than about products. Joining Hubpages has helped, so including my time on Hubpages I'd say about 10 years. I've enjoyed every minute because without writing I don't know what I would do.

I think many of us share your sentiments, "without writing I don't know what I would do." and "I've enjoyed every minute". Thanks for inspiring use, MPG Narratives! It's always nice to hear that one can do the same thing for years and not get bored.

7. Chris Qu profile image75
    Chris Quposted 10 years ago

I would like to say three or four years. However, I question whether this answer would be appropriate. The truth is that I have seen so much improvement in my recently penned articles that my earlier stuff embarrasses me, and it's only material from the past six months to a year that I feel okay with having available.

I am now at a point where I am comfortable with the quality of my writing. However, I have to wonder if further improvement will make me feel as bothered by this work as I am by my previous work...

Chris Qu, don't over-think it: you had to learn. Your earlier works were simply part of that process. We all go through it if we stick with writing (or anything) long enough. Accept your earlier works and be proud of your progress since then. :-)

8. milleramanda53 profile image78
    milleramanda53posted 10 years ago

I have been writing for 4 years and have published 4 books on top of what I write and publish on HubPages.

WOW! I'm always blown away by someone who can write a book. I'm a tech writer, so I've written a few hundred manuals, but nothing fiction aside from short stories. Four years + 4 PUBLISHED books--"you go" milleramanda53! You're inspiring to us all!

9. kj force profile image60
    kj forceposted 10 years ago

Laura....I have always enjoyed writing, however after acquiring this auto-immune disorder and losing the precious art of walking, and " normal " everyday taken for granted abilities 5 years ago , I knew there had to be others facing the same frustrations. Since my retirement from Medicine, I have done Medical Research,so I started a website and began to write about the issues many have to deal with on a daily basis and have published two books, of which I took a  " tongue in cheek" humor approach. Using the metaphor of " weeds " as survivors in the garden of life and I have heard from many people whose lives have been changed by my writes, so in this way I have found my " purpose " in life... letting others know they are not alone in this world.
    Great question...looking forward to hearing other responses....

kj force, if you touch even ONE life in a positive way, you are a hero in my mind. "letting others know they are not alone in this world" is such a positive thing that I'm sure you've touched even more than you realize. Thank you for your good works!

10. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

I've been writing for my own purposes since 1958, starting out writing science fiction.

I've published a novel. I've won first place honors for an essay ("Outsiderness in the Scientific Community," Krupnick Award, Los Angeles), and first place honors for a short story ("Toady," Dutton Books Award, Los Angeles).

I now have over a dozen websites and six blogs. I also write for clients all over the world, including Paris, France, Sydney, Australia and Houston, Texas.

Now, I'm working on several science fiction novels and two non-fiction books.

WOW!! An inspiration to all of us (at least to me)! You're smiling in your picture, so life as a writer must be pretty good. As a professional tech writer, I share your smile--get paid doing what we love. I have to look up your other works! Cheers!

11. wisdom25 profile image60
    wisdom25posted 10 years ago

I've been writing poetry since I was 12 years old. As far as short stories and articles I've only been writing for 6 years total.

wisdom25, "only" 6 years gave me a chuckle; and, poetry counts as serious writing! Best of luck on your upcoming years of writing. I hope you never tire of it because you're obviously a versatile writer with a wide background. That's cool!

2. wisdom25 profile image60
      wisdom25posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Laura. That mean a lot. I'm still trying to improve my writing as much as possible. Much Love and Respect.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)