jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

If you became a very successful author, would you relish the fame, or would you

1. MarieLB profile image82
    MarieLBposted 21 months ago

If you became a very successful author, would you relish the fame, or would you want to hide ?

Would you prefer a pseudonym to protect your privacy or would you bask in the fame if you published book/s with great success?.

After the success of Harry Potter, author Rowling said, “There was a phenomenal amount of pressure that went with being the writer of Harry Potter, and that aspect of publishing those hose books I do not particularly miss."

When she began to publish crime stories she used a pseudonym and kept her true identity a  secret.

2. alancaster149 profile image85
    alancaster149posted 21 months ago

And she sobbed all the way to the bank with her royalty cheque. Joanne K Rowling (my daughter's got the same first names, and she was born years before Harry Potter came on the scene - is that weird?) is now richer than the Queen and a number of other A-Listers here in the UK. The crime novels haven't brought the same kudos. Whether it was because she used a pen name or because she should have stuck to writing Harry Potter books we might never know.
    It was a complete fluke that young Harry took off in the way he did. Her first novel gathered dust in a publisher's warehouse when an agent dropped by, so I read a while back. He had to wait to see the boss so he went downstairs to look 'on spec', just in case...
    I use my own - full - name here on Hub-Pages and I started here after I'd written the first book in the RAVENFEAST saga series. Whether they'll take off in the same way as magic Harry is not altogether in my hands. As they say, "you can take a horse to water but..."  They're books for adults with some flowery language, earthy, with the uncanny for good measure. In the Middle Ages most tales included things no-one could explain. The names are as other-worldly as Harry Potter's arch-enemy Lord Voldemort.
    I shan't bar the door when the man/woman comes to say "Can I turn your book(s) into (a) movie(s)?" Likewise I won't turn readers away when they ask me to sign their books or whatever else. It's the story that'll sell my name, so why should I hide behind my books?

MarieLBposted 21 months agoin reply to this

If I had attained the calibre of writing you have Alan, I doubt that I'd want to hide. But it might not be modesty that spurs the need for obscurity, but the tax-man and the hoodies lurking around.! Thank you for responding. It is a pleasure to read.

2. profile image0
      LoliHeyposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Is she seriously richer than the Queen?

3. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 21 months ago

I would want to hide.  No way would I want a bunch of people snapping pictures of me, following me around, watching my every move.  I would love the money and the success, but not the notoriety.  I would feel obligated to sign autographs for every fan who came up to me, because I wouldn't want to hurt them.  But I also wouldn't want to be bothered every minute.  I also wouldn't want the expectation of writing another hit book.  Or having to.

MarieLBposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Hi Lolita, you brought to my attention the sordid side of fame, and I cannot but agree that some of that kind of entrapment can be ghastly; even dangerous at times.  I guess , what you say makes a lot of sense!  Thanks for joining in.

2. alancaster149 profile image85
      alancaster149posted 19 months agoin reply to this

Depends on where you hang out. If you spend your time at the hub of society, or stand out in a crowd then it's likely you'll be courted by the paparazzi. I tend to blend in or head away in the opposite direction (Scarlet Pimpernel-like) .

4. Say Yes To Life profile image81
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 19 months ago

I would relish the fame!  I have self-published 3 books.  I used a pseudonym, because as a substitute teacher writing about sex, I was advised to do so.  But I don't mind anyone knowing who I am, as long as it doesn't jeopardize my job.  Or even if it does - so long as I'm rich enough to retire!

Closed to reply

working