Time ~ The Mystery of Fast & Slow by Brenda Arledge

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 2 months ago

This excellent poem poses some very valid questions, that I often ask myself as well.

https://hubpages.com/literature/time-th … -fast-slow

Good work, Brenda.

1. Brenda Arledge profile image81
      Brenda Arledgeposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Thanks so much John.

This one kept me awake last night until it was penned.

1. Jodah profile image90
        Jodahposted 2 months agoin reply to this

You are welcome, Brenda. Good to see it published here at HubPages.

2. Brenda Arledge profile image81
    Brenda Arledgeposted 2 months ago

Thanks. I figured I'll get back to posting here too.
    I am going to share this one though, because for some reason I think it needs to be out there.

3. Vlado - Val Karas profile image70
    Vlado - Val Karasposted 2 months ago

Excellent poem, Brenda. In my opinion it's a distortion of the sense of time caused by the eventfulness of younger age, giving a sense of "more time was needed for all that" -- whereas in older age, life becomes one big routine, things repeating themselves and giving a sense of time rushing. When this year looks pretty much like the last, and the one before, we wonder "where did all that time go", because not much has happened to use that time.

Hey Val...
      Nice to see you.  Always glad to hear your input.

There's alot of times right now where I wish time would slow down just a bit & let me get caught up on everything.
      It's not routine...it's more like a juggling act.

But perhaps some days seem faster because I didn't utilize my time.

I hope Canada is treating you and your family well.

4. surovi99 profile image84
    surovi99posted 2 months ago

Loved your poem a lot along with the videos. I feel during our childhood, we don't have much to do and have less on our plate, therefore, time seems to go slow. As we grow older, we become busy and have a lot to shoulder, so time goes fast. I am not sure if time goes slow again as we approach our journey to heaven. Could be true. Thank you, Brenda, for sharing with us an insightful poem. I enjoyed it, starting my day.

Thanks to John, for sharing the link.

Thanks so much Rosina.
      I suppose we don't have alot of demanding things to do as a child, but I for one was constantly busy.

Even when I colored with crayons, I had to do like 2 other things at once, like watch TV, and eat a snack.

So glad you enjoyed this one.
      Have a great day....smile.

5. Venkatachari M profile image82
    Venkatachari Mposted 2 months ago

Hi, Brenda! Your poem is a good take on the elusiveness of Time.

When we wish for more time to rest, it won't let us. But, when we are in a depressive mood and wish the day to pass quickly, it will keep lagging like a turtle and won't move quickly.

Nowadays, my time passes too much quickly and I don't find time to read books.

Thanks Venkatachari...
      I like your analogy of the turtle when the day is lagging.
      I've had trouble reading too, but for some reason...I can read a book on Kindle faster than with one in my hands.

Have a great day.

6. PurvisBobbi44 profile image90
    PurvisBobbi44posted 2 months ago

Hi Brenda,

I can relate in many ways and yes, time is flying by my country door. I pray all is well in your world. I slow down once in a while and talk to someone on here.

Your Hub friend,

Bobbi Purvis

Hey Bobbi...
      I've thought about you often during these Winter months.
      I hope all is well in your world too.

Slow down now and then and let us know how you are doing.

Sending hugs.  Spring is on the way.

7. Peggy W profile image96
    Peggy Wposted 2 months ago

Hi Brenda,
    Your poem about Father Time is one that undoubtedly resonates with everyone who graduates from childhood to adulthood, and especially senior years.  Thanks John for sharing her work with us.  Good work!!!

Thanks Peggy...
      It does resonate with all of us as time keeps moving forward.
      I hope you both are doing well.

8. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 2 months ago

Hi, Brenda, loved your poem. Several years ago a coworker-friend and I had a long lunchroom discussion of this very subject. Since we were both long in the tooth, we pretty much agreed on what you had to say so poetically. I've done some research on the subject, and the psych people seem to agree with you. Then I noticed that the soothsayers were saying that time had actually sped up, and today's 24 hour day was the equivalent of 18 hours time 50 or more year ago, so we were actually missing 6 hours out of each day. Oh well, that was the soothsayers, channelers, etc. But then I started reading what the astronomers had to say. Seems they are agreeing, and that it has to do with the elliptical orbits the heavenly bodies make. The earth's elliptical orbit around the sun, the sun's orbit around the galaxy, the rotation of the galaxy, etc. In other words, time is not static. It comes and goes, kind of like a woman's weight. What non scientists are trying to pass off as imagination, scientists are saying is real. Lots of scientific books are written on this subject, so heaven forbid that my little nonscientific mind should try to explain something that nobody's going to believe anyway.
    Anyway, your poem describes this dilemma very well. So, well done.

Thanks so much Doris.
      I think I heard something about how the earth loses time each year...thus what you are talking about.
      It has something to do with the orbits.
      Yet...we sense these changes before and during them happening.

Enjoy life...appreciate each moment.   If a closed door stay closed...let it alone.  God has your back

9. ChitrangadaSharan profile image91
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 2 months ago

Hello Brenda,
    Good to read your post after a long time.
    I liked going through your insightful poem, and I believe most of us think and reflect on this subject as we age.
    Time is always running out, more so as we are getting older and aging.
    At least, I think that there is still so much to be done, and perhaps I don’t have that much time left.
    Thank you for sharing this in your own poetic way. Enjoyed reading with more thoughts and reflections.
    Thank you for sharing this John.
    Happy Weekend to both of you.

Thanks Chitrangada....I appreciate you reading this one.
      Time certainly plays a part in living one's life.
      We never know just what might happen.
      Take care & have a great weekend.
      As for me...I'm good.  I'm  lying in bed waiting on the snowflakes to start.
      Oh how...I wish it would miss me.

10. Genna East profile image82
    Genna Eastposted 2 months ago

Thanks for this thread, Jodah.  Brenda, I can so relate to your poem, which I just loved!

Genna...
      Thank you so much for your kind words.

Have a great day.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)