jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

I broke the handle off my favorite ceramic mug, any idea how to glue it back on?

1. wordscribe43 profile image92
    wordscribe43posted 6 years ago

I broke the handle off my favorite ceramic mug, any idea how to glue it back on?

My sweet daughter bought me a cool Nightmare before Christmas coffee mug when she went to Disneyland a few weeks ago.  Yesterday I accidentally dropped it in the sink and the handle broke off.  Fortunately, it was a clean break so I think there's a good chance it can be reattached.  Any ideas what kind of glue works well on ceramic?

2. carcro profile image93
    carcroposted 6 years ago

Any kind of super glue or epoxy glue will work, apply to both surfaces and be prepared to hold together tightly for at least 20 minutes.

3. Sharon McConnell profile image72
    Sharon McConnellposted 6 years ago

Super Glue or Krazy Glue.  There are a variety of products out there.  Go to that section at your local hardware store and look for the one that is most appropriate for ceramics.

4. profile image0
    no mac saladposted 6 years ago

I would recommend PC-11, it's a two part epoxy, it's white, permanent. It has excellent resistance to detergents and fresh water, as it's a marine grade adhesive. It will even cure underwater. Mix according to instructions. You can find it in most hardware stores. I actually worked in a hardware store and sold many adhesives, this was one of the best for ceramics.

5. peanutroaster profile image72
    peanutroasterposted 6 years ago

The best of the "superglues" is called "Dr. Mike's" - although what great opportunity to go out stimulate the economy!  Look around for a local artists or crafts fair and put your money directly in to the local economy instead of sending it to China.

6. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

What works well to hold two sections of ceramic together is one thing, but what will hold up indefinitely to being filled with hot liquid is another.   I pretty much don't trust once-broken handles on cups to hold hot liquid ever again.  I turn special-but-glued-together mugs/cups into something that does something (hold flowers, plants, pens, etc.) else (or else I just use them for decoration.

I know that's not the answer you want/need here (sorry); and maybe I'm just paranoid about the chances of being scalded.  There's always the "it's too special to use, get stained, or run always be washing" kind of thing.  hmm

7. Sottway profile image78
    Sottwayposted 6 years ago

If some of the best super-glues you have don't fit the bill, perhaps you could try some ceramic adhesive... it may work!

8. Daisy Mariposa profile image87
    Daisy Mariposaposted 6 years ago

To quote Benjamin Franklin, "Glass, China, and Reputation, are easily crack'd, and never well mended." - but good luck fixing it!