jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Are rechargeable batteries (AA & AAA) really worth the hassle?

1. brintd09 profile image60
    brintd09posted 6 years ago

Are rechargeable batteries (AA & AAA) really worth the hassle?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6289627_f260.jpg

2. bborrello profile image77
    bborrelloposted 6 years ago

Yes, they will save money and resources.  We have used them for our household and have plastic bags with marked "need charging" or "fully charged" so we can keep track.

3. darrensurrey profile image73
    darrensurreyposted 6 years ago

For low-use items like torches, I use a solar-powered battery charger. It can charge two at a time so is suitable for my cheap head torch. It's very useful when I need to pop outside and means I don't have to use the garden light so saves on electricity. :-)

It could probably work with an MP3 player that ran off such batteries.

4. Cassie Smith profile image68
    Cassie Smithposted 6 years ago

I have rechargeable batteries and I think they are very cost effective considering all the electronic stuff we have now.

5. eugbug profile image99
    eugbugposted 5 years ago

For high drain devices which are used regularly and soon after the batteries are charged, then rechargeable devices make economic sense considering the cost of alkalines and lithium batteries. Newer AA NiMh cells have a capacity of up to 2700 mah, comparable to that of an alkaline cell.
    The disadvantage of rechargeable cells is their self discharge rate. Some cells are woeful and discharge within months whereas newer types have a very low self discharge rate.Therefore they are not suitable for devices which are going to be left for a long time before use. Alkalines on the contrary can last for ten years.

working