jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Would sleeping in a hammock be good for a back injury?

1. RealHousewife profile image76
    RealHousewifeposted 6 years ago

Would sleeping in a hammock be good for a back injury?

2. Joan King profile image73
    Joan Kingposted 6 years ago

I can't say if sleeping in a hammock is good for a back injury but I do know that the hammock is used as a bed in some countries or parts of a country and it seems to work fine for those who sleep in them.

3. fpherj48 profile image77
    fpherj48posted 6 years ago

kelly....It can be.  It actually depends on what "type" of injury and what "part" of the back.   If it's lower back, and the pain is acute, I would think it might be rather uncomfortable just attempting to get in & out of a hammock.   If the person has had surgery at some point for this injury, I would definitely check with the surgeon.

4. Amy Becherer profile image72
    Amy Bechererposted 6 years ago

I think the instability and lack of support in a hammock would cause further pain with a back injury.  In fact, I would not be able to navigate getting into or out of a hammock when my lower back injury flares. Getting into, much less driving, my Mazda Miata, (2-seater with a stick shift) when I re-injured an old injury (torn ligament from weight training) was impossible.

Rest, ice, treating the inflammation with aspirin, ibuprofen or prescription pain meds followed by heat after the initial inflammation subsides is recommended.  When I lived in a gated community in Hillsboro, with mainly retirement aged neighbors, I learned that one of the elderly female residents (who had osteoporosis) fell out of her hammock and broke her neck.

Even when the back injury is simply muscle strain, often the pain is heightened by muscle spasms.  Any sudden movement,  such as, maintaining balance while laying in a hammock, is excruciatingly painful. Having personally experienced a painful lower back injury in my past, getting into or out of a hammock is beyond my comprehension when the injury is acute.  Physicians usually recommend resting on a firm mattress for adequate support with "under the knees" support with a pillow to allow the back muscles to relax.

5. melbel profile image95
    melbelposted 5 years ago

I think it would depend on the injury. It might be a great idea for some back problems and for others, it might do more damage than good.

working