This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

My tomatoes keep splitting. What is the cause?

1. michiganman567 profile image82
    michiganman567posted 5 years ago

My tomatoes keep splitting.   What is the cause?

I am talking about tomatoes plants in my back yard.  They look good when the tomatoes are green, but once they turn orange the skin splits.  What causes this, and how do I avoid it?

2. xanzacow profile image73
    xanzacowposted 5 years ago

They may be getting too much water, or they may be over fertilized.

1. michiganman567 profile image82
      michiganman567posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, I've been watering daily.  Maybe I will cut back and see how that works.

3. backporchstories profile image80
    backporchstoriesposted 5 years ago

I would agree...too much water.  You can pull them when they are green and they will continue to ripen on a window sill.  Fried green tomatoes are good too.  What a twist in your apple pie?  Along with the usually apples add 2 medium size green tomatoes to the filling with a sprinkle more of sugar.   Delicious!

4. rasta1 profile image83
    rasta1posted 5 years ago

I agree with Xanzacow. The genetic design of your particular tomato may not be designed to absorb so much nutrients and water. It may be the smaller version of tomato's that is used to growing in the wild. You can try other larger varieties or cut back on the fertilizer. ()

5. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 5 years ago

Hybrids, especially of the German Tomato variety, often do this and especially if you add too much plant "food" (nutrients). If you do have a hybrid plant this year I'm not sure if there is anything that can reverse the problem, although I would suggest going with a non-hybrid next year. The suggestion someone else gave about picking them green is worth a try - and fried green tomatoes are delicious. Good luck!

working