Before your child goes to sleep, what do you say to them?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 52 discussions (85 posts)
  1. nataliemarie71 profile image61
    nataliemarie71posted 13 years ago

Since my 5-year old began really talking, she and I have had a tradition of saying our good nights and sleep tights in our own special way. Once she is all tucked in and the night lights on I say "Who loves you?" and she says "mommy loves me." Then I say "Who loves mommy?" and she says, "Katie loves mommy." When we do this I know she feels a sense of security.  Do you guys have special ways of tucking those little ones in?

1. content profile image61
      contentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

nite nite
      sleep tight
      don't let the bedbugs bite.

2. Misfitmom423 profile image58
      Misfitmom423posted 13 years agoin reply to this

After I tuck him in, I ask him for a kiss, then say "night night" and walk out.

3. Tanna profile image58
      Tannaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure to tell my kids that I love them every night before I shut off the light ..

4. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I Love You.

5. kerritl123 profile image60
      kerritl123posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I say love you, goodnight.  I can't sleep if I didn't tell my boys that I love them.

6. 2ToddlersMom profile image61
      2ToddlersMomposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nighty Night... I love u... sleep tight and don't let them bed bugs bite... and I blow kisses b/c I am too short to lean over and kiss them in the crib (I have two in cribs still)

2. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Mine is nine months old and usually falls asleep in my arms or on the couch. When I move her to her cot usually the last thing I say as I try to put her down without waking her is "Don't wake up please!" smile

nataliemarie71posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I remember those days! Now I can't get mine to go to sleep! Thanks!

2. Misfitmom423 profile image58
      Misfitmom423posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I remember when my 2 year old was 9 months. Treasure those days because they don't last very long.

3. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Hey Kids.... If the house is on fire.... make sure you wake me up and put the beers in the deep freeze...

LOL!

2. MPG Narratives profile image61
      MPG Narrativesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey PD, that's exactly what I say....oh and I love you, good night.

3. Denise Handlon profile image85
      Denise Handlonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@ Pearldiver--LMAO  smile

4. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 13 years ago

I lovingly tuck my kids in and tell them not to get up or the people under the bed will take them away.

LOL

5. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

When they were little I'd say, "Night night, Sweetheart" or "Night, night, my love".  When they were a little older I'd say, "Night, Love".  That signaled the end of whatever talking we were doing.  If they had a cold or stomach bug or some other reason they may be waking up I might add something, "If you have to get up don't be up alone.  Call me."  That was pretty much it.

Well I think that's beautiful! Thanks!

6. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

Before they go to sleep?  After we read, pray with them and tuck them in, it tends to sound something like this:

From the oldest:  "Hey, it is bed time.  Shush!  No more noise. #2, that goes for you too!  Quit tattling, I'm not listening."

To the middle boys:  "I did too hug you, but I will hug you again, now shush!  Go to sleep."

To the littlest:  "I love you too, now be quiet.  No, you can't sit on my lap, go back to bed.  No, you don't need another drink, go back to bed.  It is time to sleep.  Okay, one hug for your bear.  NOW, Go To Sleep!  Love you too."

Your littlest sounds just like mine! She hates to go to sleep! Thanks

7. Diane Inside profile image73
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

ha ha, kids, I don't have any, but I remember giving my mom and dad a hard time. I hated going to bed, partly I was scared but I also thought I might miss something. At my house something was always going on so if I went to bed that meant I'd miss something and I layed in bed for hours before falling asleep just listening to anything I could hear. Not much got by me.  Although somehow I still got a little sister and brother so I guess something got by me. ha ha.

LOL! Thanks

8. sunbeams profile image61
    sunbeamsposted 13 years ago

I have to read a story to my 11-year old or at least narrate a story , else he will NEVER fall asleep.If the story is effective enough , he will fall asleep midway.If it is not , I fall asleep midway.

If I sleep before him , I can feel him fidgeting , eyes wide open.

In such cases my last line is - "Chotu , close your eyes.Turn over.Now sleep"

This always works.

Kids !!

My 2 13-year olds never sleep!  I understand! Thanks!

9. H.C Porter profile image80
    H.C Porterposted 13 years ago

As I tuck my two 2 year olds into bed-I ask them if they had fun today. I tell them that I love them and that it is time to close their eyes and dream, and when they wake up in the morning- there will be another day of having lots of fun. Then I kiss on them and say I love you about 3 more times before I turn out the lights... I really do love them both---a whole lot   big_smile

That is great! Thanks

10. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

yikes  Thanks for that Marie smile

Yep I add that too ... just after I tell them not to roast marshmellows before they wake me. smile

lol! thanks

11. hexingvixen profile image61
    hexingvixenposted 13 years ago

i used to say "goodnight, god bless, sleep tight, see you in the morning!!

Thank You!

12. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

every night, the last thing we say is... "good night, buenos noches, hasta mañana, Ill see you in the morning, I love you."

That's cool! Thank you!

13. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

i used to say do not wake me up early pleeeeease.

My daughter asks her children for one good thing of the day and one bed.  If she forgets they remind her.  Some nights they say no bad things, and lots of good i.e.  it's nice to hear them comments when i am round out there house.

Thank you!

14. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

I love you my baby, I whisper it in her ears then matching hugs tight and kiss, then sleep tightly

Thank You!

15. Sunshiney31 profile image68
    Sunshiney31posted 13 years ago

Well I say I love you,very simple and to the point.Each of my kids are very different and I use a different body launguage with each one.Lots of hugs and kisses.6 to be exact.It's so fun to watch how your relationships change as each gets older.My two that are under 6 still get tucked in,my others say "Mom we are to old for that".Every once in awhile I still sneak a tuck in.

That's sweet! Thank you!

16. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

After all of the usual good night hugs and kisses and tucking in, I used to say to my kids the same thing my Mom said to me and her Mom to her and so forth.... "Sleep tight. Don't let the bedbugs bite." smile

1. swapna123 profile image61
      swapna123posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I start with bed time stories, then tell them it's sleep time and give a good night kiss. After that, it's quiet time ,and i insist she close her eyes.  I sit with her till she sleeps and then, 5 mins after she is asleep, i tell her that i love her and that she is a happy, sweet child. And that she will get up in the morning happily and give mama a big hug. This is because before somebody goes into deep sleep, subconsciously they are still aware of what all they hear.

That is one of the sweetest things I've ever heard!  Thank you!

2. nataliemarie71 profile image61

Thank You!

17. BanjDog profile image59
    BanjDogposted 13 years ago

Kids have very astute memory. They remember the smallest things that we do for them, whether it's just kissing them before they go to sleep or telling them "I love you." Aside from these things, I always make sure to tell my daughter to pray first before going to sleep for higher guidance. This too can mold a child's values.

You are 100% right! Thanks!

18. TamCor profile image80
    TamCorposted 13 years ago

When my kids were little, we'd gather around one of their beds, and read a story--they loved Berenstein Bears the best.

Then I'd get them into bed, give hugs and kisses, then take their hand and kiss the inside of it, then closing their fingers around the kiss, and tell them to "Keep it ALL night!".

They loved that, and it always brought smiles to their faces.

Mine are all in their 20's now--gosh, I miss those days!!!  smile

I'm sure that you do! But that was really nice! Thank you!

19. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

"I love you with completely with my heart" (they - "I love you completely with my heart")
    "Have a good sleep" (they - "I will.  You have a good sleep too with sweet dreams")
    "I will see you in the morning" (theyy - "Wake me with a kiss before you go to work.  I'd like to say good bye before you go")
    a couple of kisses and a real hug (they - always returned)
    a tuck in (they - big smiles)
    a smile (they - big grins)
    and one last kiss (they - bigger smiles)

then, they fall asleep immediately.

smile

That is so sweet! Thank You!

20. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

sad you are all making me sad - I miss my babies now!  Oh how I loved to cuddle with both of them before bed.

I say "I love you, sleep well & don't stay up too late"

Wow! I'm so sorry! They will always be your babies! Thank You Though!

21. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

When mine were young I used to say:

Nite, nite
    Love ya
    See ya in the morning

Now, when I go to bed, I say:

Good night.  Don't stay up too late!  (never works though hmm)

Yeah that doesn't work well with my 2 13- year olds, sometimes it doesn't work with my 5-year old! Thanks!

22. yiso123 profile image62
    yiso123posted 13 years ago

This is yanni from yiso furniture(www.gdyiso.com)

23. yiso123 profile image62
    yiso123posted 13 years ago

Have a nice day.
    Yiso furniture

24. IntimatEvolution profile image67
    IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years ago

I love you.

25. wytegarillaz profile image59
    wytegarillazposted 13 years ago

used to say after reading them a story -- I love you goodnight !

26. the clean life profile image71
    the clean lifeposted 13 years ago

Make sure I tell them Just how much I love them first. I am always there for you for anything you may need or just want to talk about whatever. Resure them that they are loved and tell them just how proud you are of them.

27. JillKostow profile image88
    JillKostowposted 13 years ago

I start in the attic with my 9 year old daughter, I give her a hug and kiss, tell her I love her, then we put our fingers up in a "L" shape and we say "L", because "L" stands for love. Next comes my 5 year old son who I kiss and hug, tell him I love him, then my 9 year old stepson who I say goodnight and he says goodnight.  Last is my 2 year old who I tuck into bed after he makes his grover jump into bed, then I hug and kiss him, then I have to kiss him on both cheeks, and when I get to the door we have to blow each other kisses, and he also says "L" to me.

28. Christene profile image60
    Christeneposted 13 years ago

I love you, goodnight, don't let the be-bops bite.

When she was tiny she tried to say 'bed bugs' and it came out be-bops. It stuck. smile

29. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 13 years ago

I usually sing softly.....then holding close, whisper I love you...
    there is something about sleepy children that pulls at one's heart...
    it's definitely one of the best moments of my day smile

30. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

SHUT UP AND GO TO F!@#@%@@^@ SLEEP BEFORE I GET THE BELT!!

31. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 13 years ago

"I love you kid.  Thanks for being my kid."  Then I kiss her good night. big_smile  Every night.

32. maudine_05 profile image59
    maudine_05posted 13 years ago

" I love you, don't forget to pray.."

1. sofs profile image77
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Kiss and tell them " the angels watch over you ,so good night,  sleep tight!!"

33. spiderpam profile image73
    spiderpamposted 13 years ago

Say your prayers, love you, goodnight

34. profile image52
    atendofropeposted 13 years ago

I would tell my daughter every night when she was young and to this day still tell her momma loves you even when you were naughty...so she know I forgave her and my heart stil belong to her

35. lizmoss71 profile image61
    lizmoss71posted 13 years ago

My husband has a special saying in German which he uses on the children (even though they don't speak German yet).

Schlaf Gut
    Traum Suss
    Bis die Engelchen in Paradies

(Sleep Well
    Sweet Dreams
    With the little angels in paradise)

36. Lita C. Malicdem profile image60
    Lita C. Malicdemposted 13 years ago

When my 2 girls were still young, I would help them get to bed, listen to their prayers, tuck them in, and before clicking out the light, I said, "Love you, good night, sleep tight!"

Now that they are grownups, I rouse from my sleep to find them still up, so I say, "What time is it? It's quite late! Hit the bed. It's time to sleep not work. Tomorrow will do it's own task!".

37. Denise Handlon profile image85
    Denise Handlonposted 13 years ago

Love you. Have a good night.

38. profile image0
    Anonymusposted 13 years ago

my kids too sleep after hugging, kissing and saying good nite:)We have to say love u kids...only then do they go to sleep.

39. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 13 years ago

I would say "I love you so much remember in this life you can be anything you want to be."

40. zoey24 profile image76
    zoey24posted 13 years ago

I always say night night, godbless, see you tomorow, love you, (in that order)and they say it back at the same time bless them. i'm sure as they get older the most i will get is Night Mum lol

41. ddsurfsca profile image71
    ddsurfscaposted 13 years ago

I said different things to each of the three boys I have, and it changed as they got older, but it started out with things like -night night, see you in the morning,--night, I love you, -- nighty night, pleasant dreams, -- nite, dream with the angels, --and as they got to be adolescents, it was more like-- night guys, dream of good things, --pleasant dreams--know that I always love you,-- first guy up makes breakfast--

and it was never the prayer about dying before you wake....!!!

42. DebtFreedom profile image75
    DebtFreedomposted 13 years ago

my 2y old girl hates sleeping. she even tells me "I don't like sleep." But, she'll follow me to bed anyways. Then, she says, "stories about _____." So I have to tell her stories about whatever she says. I usually have to say two stories that I make up about "apple juice on airplanes" for example. Then, I say, "last one, mommy's sleepy now." She'll say ok. Then, after the story, I kiss her on the forehead, and tell her "I love you." she offers me a hug, which I take of course, and then she lies down. On a good day, she goes to sleep. On a bad day it will take another hour and half before she falls asleep and I have to keep urging her to sleep. I still sleep in bed with her, and my 3 month old.

43. profile image50
    mheljimpengsonposted 13 years ago

Also,Play a lullaby music for a change!

44. starme77 profile image78
    starme77posted 13 years ago

before my children go to sleep the last thing I say to them every night is I Love You and Sleep Well smile Not always in that order - some times I say sleep well and I love you smile Mine are not small children anymore they are 15 and 17 but ... they will always be my little children to me smile

45. xixi12 profile image68
    xixi12posted 13 years ago

I say i mummy loves you and give a kiss on the head. Its now routine that even if i forget, they come to me and remind me. Didn't know it meant that much to them

1. starme77 profile image78
      starme77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's the small things that mean the most smile

46. katiem2 profile image59
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

The very last thing as I'm walking out of their room having tucked them in, kissed them good night and listened to all they have to say is

"Good Night, Sweet Dreams, I love you"

47. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

my mother says " you should sleep tonight"

48. Pro Design Source profile image61
    Pro Design Sourceposted 13 years ago

Ours goes like this
    "Good night" then she says "Good night"
    I say "Sleep good", she says "Okay"
    I say "I love you", she says "Love you too"

Then I walk out & she usually says again "I Love you", and I say "I love you".

In not only makes her feel comfortable, but me too!

49. profile image0
    cosetteposted 13 years ago

when my son was really little i would say 'nite-nite, don't let the bedbugs bite' or 'sweet dreams'.

when he got older sometimes i would say in Morticia Addam's voice 'scream if you need anything' and he would laugh big_smile

or simply 'good night' or 'sleep well'.

50. Loveslove profile image60
    Lovesloveposted 13 years ago

My 3 are all grown up and married with children of their own..I say the same to my grandchildren when they visit as I did to my children...
    After their goodnight story,I kiss them and say,Love you sweetie,sleep well see you in the morning ..later when I go to bed I pop back for a kiss on the cheek just to make sure they are ok.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)