jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What plants should I grow for my patio container garden this spring?

1. Kristen Howe profile image89
    Kristen Howeposted 2 years ago

What plants should I grow for my patio container garden this spring?

This month, I'm planning to add two patio chairs and maybe a table for my empty patio of my new apartment. I'm also planning to grow some plants, maybe some herbs and veggies and some flowers that would help with cleaning the air. Any ideas on what's easy to manage and grow for a beginner?

2. chuckandus6 profile image75
    chuckandus6posted 2 years ago

Pansies are easy flower to grow and they seem to survive anything.

3. Robert Beyer profile image80
    Robert Beyerposted 2 years ago

I like to grow mint, it is easy and there is a good chance that it will continue to come back year after year.

1. RTalloni profile image87
      RTalloniposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Mint is an excellent choice and there are many varieties.  Other herbs, as well.  Mixed with coleus you would have color and fragrance with little care!

4. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 2 years ago

I have a pot on my back porch that is 2 feet wide. In it I have 2 large elephant garlic, arugula, basil, and lettuce. They will grow together very easily. It is a deep pot so the roots will have plenty of space. They require little to no effort. They only need a small amount of sun each day and some evening water. In another pot I have cherry tomatoes. All are fairly simple to grow. I don't do much flower growing so I have no advice in that department. I prefer growing stuff that can save me money! smile Another added benefit of growing basil other than being able to cook with it, it smells amazing! You can also get it in a beautiful purple variety to bring some color to your porch.

5. Rachel L Alba profile image94
    Rachel L Albaposted 2 years ago

It depends on if your pot will get a lot of sun nor not.  If it does, I have one that I found begonias  and coleus leaves grow very well together and if it's in the shade, impatiens do really well.

working