jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (18 posts)

Can someone tell me how to replace the bulb in this fixture? I'm not sure how to

1. bravewarrior profile image90
    bravewarriorposted 16 months ago

Can someone tell me how to replace the bulb in this fixture? I'm not sure how to dismantle it.

I didn't install the fixture so I don't know how many pieces there are to it, therefore I don't know what to take off in order to replace the bulb.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13304376_f260.jpg

2. Aime F profile image86
    Aime Fposted 16 months ago

The part at the bottom (the brown thing that looks like a nipple) should screw off.  You have to hold the glass part while you're unscrewing though or it'll fall right down.

bravewarriorposted 16 months agoin reply to this

That's what I was thinking, Aime. Thank you. I'll enlist my son's help.

3. Becky Katz profile image83
    Becky Katzposted 16 months ago

.Unscrew that pretty metal doodad right in the middle of it. It will have two pieces to the metal part. Be ready to catch the glass as it comes off. The bulbs are right inside and available. It is easy if you have a ladder.

Thanks, Becky. We do have a ladder. I told my son it needs to be a two person job because I have no idea where my ex-husband got that fixture. I don't want to risk breaking the globe.

2. mckbirdbks profile image88
      mckbirdbksposted 16 months agoin reply to this

Becky that is exactly right.

Becky Katzposted 16 months agoin reply to this

I had one at the last place I rented. I saw the glass at Lowe's when I went in there once. They probably still have them.

4. bravewarrior profile image90

Becky, your advice was spot on. We've replaced the bulbs. Thank you!

5. Becky Katz profile image83

Happy to help Sha.

4. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 16 months ago

The "nipple" at the bottom probably un-screws in order to release the dome section. Alternatively the dome itself unscrews. The lamp might be a "candle" style  one if the fitting is small. If you can get a LED lamp, it would be a good idea to avoid the hassle of replacement in the future!

This fixture was installed in 2008 and the bulb has just now died. I'm thinking we put a curly-cue bulb inside and I have another. Hopefully, it'll last another 8 years before it needs to be replaced!

5. Backyard Flare profile image50
    Backyard Flareposted 16 months ago

Also make sure you wipe clean the inside of the glass as dust and the occssional bug carcass may be in it.  It'll brighten the light from the bulb.

1. Becky Katz profile image83

This fixture seems to be tighter than most. I only had to clean mine occasionally, usually dust. Now I live in AZ and have to dust the inside of all my fixtures monthly. During the summer, I have to clean them more because of the moths.

2. bravewarrior profile image90

We did that. Thank you, Dan.

6. MizBejabbers profile image91
    MizBejabbersposted 16 months ago

That was a good answer, Becky. We have three of those in our house and my husband changes the bulbs frequently, but it is best a two-person job. Hopefully the new LED bulbs will make changing out bulbs less frequent than conventional bulbs and fluorescent bulbs.

1. Becky Katz profile image83

I always get good quality CFL's and rarely need to change them. Phillips is not good quality, I found out. GE seems to last quite a while. I use them exclusively and only need to change one every 3-4 years now.

2. MizBejabbers profile image91
      MizBejabbersposted 16 months agoin reply to this

Thanks for the tip about brands. The big box store where I buy light bulbs mainly carries Phillips. Not sure where to get GE, WallyWorld? Never, ever buy dollar store bulbs!

Wal-mart does carry the GE. I found that they last for several years longer than the Phillips do. Lucky to get a year out of those, and for the price of them they need to last a loong time.

working