I need to purchase a new vacume any recomendations?

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (40 posts)
  1. katiem2 profile image59
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

My vacume is on it's last leg and I'm looking to buy a new one.  What do you like and dislike about the vacumes you have or have used.  I appreciate your feedback as I really need a good one.  I vacume a lot and have two indoor cats. 

Thanks for your feedback smile

1. Blogging Erika profile image67
      Blogging Erikaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I bought a $50 bagless vacuum at Target and I've been pretty happy with it!  I can't recommend bagless vacuums highly enough. 

I did the math once and realized that my bag vacuum, which I bought for $30, had actually cost me over $500 in 15 years of use, because of the cost of the bags!

katiem2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks I like the idea of no  bags, my old vacume is a Hoover that uses bags and the bags are pricey, plus this vacume cost over $200.00 dollars.  I hate changing the bags, remembering to buy them, having them on hand and on and on.  Thanks for the tip.  big_smile

2. thiruselvamk profile image57
        thiruselvamkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The vacuum systems with bags are expensive in the long run; models change and bags become no longer available and the worst HIDDEN truth is that vacuum cleaners that use bags are now labelled "TOXIN PUMPS" for they spill dust into the air via the bag pores and exhaust. Vacuuming becomes a defeated purpose.

2. Alison Dittmar profile image60
      Alison Dittmarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know if you still need a vacuum cleaner, but I swear by the Oreck. Here is a link to a hub.
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Oreck-Upright-V … e-ever-had

3. pylos26 profile image69
      pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah...if you misspell vacuum...folks may try to sell you a platter pus...

4. profile image53
      sandypalposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I PERSONALLY HAVE USED A DIRT DEVIL FOR THE LAST 30 YEARS.  i JUST BOUGHT ANOTHER "FEATHER LITE", AND THIS WAS BEFORE MY SON TOLD ME HOW HIGH IT WAS RATED WITH CONSUMERS GUIDE.  iT WAS COMPARRABLE WITH SOME OF THE VERY EXPENSIVE AND TOP OF THE LINE.  PICKUP IS GREAT.

2. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

Dyson
    they cost more initially, but they use no bags

3. LeanMan profile image78
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

I too would recommend a Dyson, most reliable vacuum that I ever used..

4. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Dyson all the way. Buy the purple one for pets if you have'em.

5. profile image53
    timpicheposted 13 years ago

I would recommend a henry vacuum cleaner. If you have allergies the filtration on these vacuums is unbelievable! This vacuum is actually endorsed by the British Allergy Foundation. Although the vacuum does use bags, the annual bag cost is roughly $25 for a single household. But remember one thing with vacuums that use bags...you will never have a mess to clean and you will use less filters over time.

6. acupoftea profile image60
    acupofteaposted 13 years ago

Hi I love my Oreck! Only 8 pounds and it comes with a canister...just got my second one this year....

7. JillKostow profile image86
    JillKostowposted 13 years ago

I would recommend a Shark Navigator.  It has the same "no loss of suction" technology as Dyson for a fraction of the cost.  I bought mine at Walmart for aroung $150.00.  Best bagless vacuum I ever owned!!!

8. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 13 years ago

I have a Hoover Windtunnel, cannister and bagless. I love it! It keeps up with the dog, cat, kids and hubby. Best of all it is easy for me to get around with smile

9. profile image0
    Whikatposted 13 years ago

I think it all depends on your price range. I just bought a Bissell
    Cleanview helix a couple months back at Target for around $75.00. I couldn't be happier with this product. I also did a lot of research and this was the highest rated one I found for under $100. It is bagless and you can see how much dirt you are picking up as you vacuum.

10. walshais profile image57
    walshaisposted 13 years ago

Hi
    My Biggest pet peeve is clients who don't have a vacuum or who have one that does not work at all.
    Here are some of the best vacuums i have used.

buy a hose vacuum from Eureka,Kenmore,Miele or Dyson.
    Don't waste your time on anything especially if you have pets.Also there is a hand held vacuum from the Hoover Platinum series that is excellent you can wear is like a handbag as you vacuum.

11. ddsurfsca profile image69
    ddsurfscaposted 13 years ago

kirby or shop vac--both are good for wear and tear, they vacuumm dry or wet, and no bags with either.

12. simonsofia profile image61
    simonsofiaposted 13 years ago

There are lot of good branded ones in the market, but always try to get one that has hepa filters, specially if you have dust allergy or you have kids at home.

13. HomeInsights profile image60
    HomeInsightsposted 13 years ago

Dyson is obviously many people's preferred choice and mine, but if you are looking for something cheaper I would recommend a Henry vacuum cleaner as they are moderately inexpensive, very efficient and most importantly have excellent suction. They are also very easy to use and maintain.

katiem2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks smile

14. Donna Janelle profile image67
    Donna Janelleposted 13 years ago

I see that several other people recommended a Dyson, and I definietly would as well. They are quite expensive, but worth it!

15. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

according to the local vacuum cleaner store owner, Dysons are not worth the expense and over half of the vacuums brought in for repair are Dysons. he said many vacuums are not built to last more than a few years.

I was taking my Bissel in for an estimate and ended up taking it back home and calling customer service and fixed it myself. it was very easy.

the store owner recommended canisters for ease and the most thorough cleaning. Also it depends what kind of floor coverings you have.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is true of many products--it's called "planned obsolescence."  Unethical, IMO.  They deliberately make products that will barely outlast their warranty period, forcing you to keep re-purchasing.
      Luckily, both my husband and I (and my father before me) are very good handy-man/gal DIY fixer-uppers, so we are able to foil this strategy and make our own repairs on most things.  wink

16. profile image64
    alphacleaningposted 13 years ago

I'm in the commercial cleaning field and I recommend Snitaire SC 886 E. It's bagless, it's powerfull, it's build really good (a lot of metal and not cheap plastic) and it lasts for years with minimum maintenance. Search it online, you will be pleasantly surprised with it.

17. enrikm profile image54
    enrikmposted 13 years ago

Seems like a good Black and Decker is recommended as well.

18. david_a_365 profile image60
    david_a_365posted 13 years ago

I'm a professional carpet cleaner. Both SEBO and Lindhaus are brilliant vacuums. Both are available on amazon. You'll pay £250 - £450, but you'll get a lifetime of hasstle free use. My Lindhaus cost £500+ but has served me 7 days a week for over 5 years now, surviving the back of a carpet cleaning van valliantly.

19. lindacee profile image85
    lindaceeposted 13 years ago

I would have to echo the sentiment of several other posters and say Dyson. It is by far the best vacuum I have ever owned. I got my Dyson when they were first introduced in the States. Many other manufacturers use the cyclonic technology now, so I am sure you can probably find one for less that performs just as well.

20. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

I have a Sebo cleaner (5years+) and it is great for families with allergies. It is so good if I ever needed another I would buy the same again. I do n't like cleaners where all the contents are on view and the Sebo does its job well.

21. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years ago

Interestsing group of replies.  We have a Dyson "animal" because it is very good at picking up the sheddings of 4 cats.

Yes, it is bagless.  That said, I view it as the only downside to the machine.  To be sure, there is the argument that bags are pricey.  However, most of the modern vacuums tout all kinds of special filters for everything from germs to allergies.

All well and good--until you need to go to the trash and empty the thing.  Guess what?  All that carefully "filtered" dust is now swirling around in the breeze if your trash is outdoors as ours is--blowing right back into your face--or alternately sitting loose in the trash can waiting for the next item to plop in and stir up all the dust.

Trying to empty the cannister into a bag or newspaper raises the same issues, because dust is so fine, you cannot effectively close the bag or wad up the newspaper without dust "poofing" out into or near your face.

So much for all the fancy filtering!  A lot of advertising hype is all those filters are good for in the case of bagless machines, IMO.  In machines with bags, however, I can see some merit to the filters.

All of that aside, as I said, I view it as the only negative of the Dyson.  It works very well, and is easy to take apart to blow out for a thorough cleaning when needed.  (Don't buy into their ad claim that "it never clogs" ... the built in filters and chambers do experience a build-up of dust after a time that does reduce performance.)

We are lucky enough to have a full shop with a built-in air compressor system, so blowing it out is a simple matter.  Lacking that, you could probably use the 'canned air' products for cleaning computers, or a smaller portable air compressor such as the type that power artists' air brushes.

22. profile image51
    Barbismeposted 13 years ago

hi there, IT IS AMERICAN MADE, so if you really want a good machine, one that is versitile, easy, even if you have to buy filter bags and exhaust filters, i highly recommend Electrolux.  i buy bags once or twice a year.  i have had mine for over 20 years.  no problem, 4 horse power, the suction is fantastic.  you attach the cleaning wand and that is it, you can clean under furniture without changing anything, not like dyson, that ball feature the inventor goes on and on about is a waste, you can't get under your furniture with it.  Electrolux needs no changing.  reverse the head and go from floor to carpet, it also comes with a deep carpet cleaning attachment, runs with its own motor.  but you need bucks.  i have an epic, sells for $900, i think,  the lastest and newest is 2 grand.  but this machine i tell you is worth it.  besides that, like i said it is American made.

1. profile image50
      EloiseQposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to burst your bubble but Electrolux is a Swedish company. Their vacuums are expensive and so-so as far as cleaning. My mom used to have one. I still can't believe people will spend that much money for a vacuum. Electrolux and Kirby are way, way overpriced.

The best vacuum I have ever had is a Dyson canister. No vacuum has ever picked up dirt like this one does. Love it!

1. profile image51
        Barbismeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hi eloiseq, swedish yes, but still made here.  hard pressed to find things made in this country.  that said, i just don't see the alure of dyson, i used one at someone elses home, thing weighed a ton, hard to manipulate, and as i stated you can't get under anything because that famed ball gets in the way, as far as picking up, i went over a piece of thread several times before i just bent and loosened it and then the dyson sucked it up.  oh they clog also.   i don't know of any machine with the suction of electrolux.  i have cursed it numerous times as it has sucked up something near where i was cleaning on a shelf, the vortex it creates is wider than expected. 

the furniture attachment is fantastic, carpet brush beats the heck out of the carpet pile, really lifts it up.  as far as price, yes it is high, but you get what you pay for.  as i said mine is over 20 years and still going.  the suction is the same today as the day i bought it.

but, as i guess we will never agree, good luck with yours i'll keep mine.  happy vacuuming.

23. thiruselvamk profile image57
    thiruselvamkposted 13 years ago

Vacuum cleaners with bags pose several issues. Frequency of bags change is costly over two,three or more years. Availability becomes a problem as years progress and models change. One may have to carry stocks at home or office. Secondly, fine dust escapes the pores of the bag and via the exhaust back into the surroundings.
    Thirdly, as bag gets filled with dust and dirt, suction drops as air flow is hindered by obstructive dirt in the bags. (Only so long as air is flowing from the front end of the hose, via the pores of the dust bags and out the exhaust will suction persist). When bag is clogged, suction drops, particles do not get picked, the motor "screams" louder and very often gets ruined.
    The best choice is the durable USA made RAINBOW known to stay with owners for 30 years or more, easy to maintain. only needs a basin of water, has a multitude of functions, reconditions pillows, beats and scrubs mattresses and doubles up as an air purifier with an AHAM certificate. May be pricey, but stays with you faithfully.

24. IN2Deep profile image68
    IN2Deepposted 13 years ago

I have a Bagless vac and I love it-it makes me happy knowing i don't have to worry about running out of bags-they get pretty expensive.It is amazing to see how much dust and dirt you are actually pulling out of you carpets.And you never have to worry about the bag ripping or breaking. So have you bought a new vac yet? What did you decide.

25. cheapsk8chick profile image46
    cheapsk8chickposted 13 years ago

So what vacuum did you choose?

26. phoenixarizona profile image65
    phoenixarizonaposted 13 years ago

If you want a good vacuum cleaner then I personally would go rainbow all the way.
    Rainbow vacuums are american made and yes they are expensive, however, I have owned a Rainbow vacuum cleaner for eight years and have never had a problem with it.
    Rainbow's work on the idea that "wet dirt does not fly". I have seven asthmatic kids 5 cats and we all breathe easily with the rainbow. I vacuum twice daily and have done so for eight years.
    Hope this helps.

1. evacuumstore profile image58
      evacuumstoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Electrolux is one of the best vacuum cleaners made today. You can save 10% @ evacuumstore.com with coupon code TAKE10

27. LeeWalls profile image60
    LeeWallsposted 13 years ago

Bagless and when you clean it out make sure you where a mask and do it somewhere that's airy because dust will be flying out, dog hair and anything you can think of. Better yet stick to a wooden floor; it's easier to clean and you're better off with allergies. Anyways, aren't carpets antiques?

28. zduckman profile image61
    zduckmanposted 13 years ago

I would recommend you purchase a used Rainbow vacume off of Craigslist. They are above and beyond the BEST on the market. They use water filtration, so you are no just blowing dust and dander around your house like a hepa or regular vacume. I did an experiment and vacumed a 3x3 section of my carpet 3 times....then vacumed it with the Rainbow.. the water still turned black . It will amaze you what you pull out of your carpet that you have just been living with all these years... I say buy it used ...cause they are quite pricey...I got mine for $500...but worth every penny. They are like $2400 new....and I heard the new models dont filter quite as well....they were sold to a chinese company. So buy one for $3-500 ...and you cant go wrong.
    :-)

29. randomcreative profile image88
    randomcreativeposted 13 years ago

My husband and I have this vacuum:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bissell-Power … m/11039508
    We've been very pleased with it.  It does a great job picking up cat hair.  Unlike many vacuums I've had, longer hair does not get wound around the brushes.  It's very easy to clean the filters.  The only draw back that I've found so far is that the cord is fairly short.  We've had it for over a year and have not had any other complaints so far.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)