In light of money being everything if your child was kidnapped and you needed to

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (27 posts)
  1. chuckandus6 profile image80
    chuckandus6posted 9 years ago

In light of money being everything if your child was kidnapped and you needed to choose between

losing all your money to ransom or your child? or what if you had to choose between leaving your job and taking a part time job because your loved one needed your care in sickness?

2. dashingscorpio profile image71
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12547549_f260.jpg

I always find these types of questions fascinating in that people always make it seem as though one has to "choose" between money and love. You really can have both!
    One can make more money but they can't re-create that particular child. The only reason I wouldn't pay the ransom would be if I had reason to believe it was a fake kidnapping and my child was behind it. Another reason might be if the FBI presented an alternative viable plan. I would tend to trust the professionals.
    As for quitting a job to help a loved one it would really depend on whether or not I could afford to take the pay cut, if the family member had money to help me with their care, or if I had the necessary skills and know how.
    Most people living in nursing homes have adult children.

1. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

THANK YOU, people can provide for a loved one and still have thriving careers Dashing, I can't believe SOME people, really.Where are their THINKING process and LOGICAL REASONING. One doesn't have to be impoverished to care for a loved one!

3. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12485193_f260.jpg

One can have a thriving career and provide care for a loved one.  That is what nursing care is for.  Also, when a child is kidnapped, one contacts the authorities.  Good God, woman, there is such a thing as logical reasoning here.  One does not have to go into debt to ransom a child nor care for a loved one.

chuckandus6posted 9 years agoin reply to this

what you call illogical i call love ,which you still need money to survive, but you need love otherwise you are worth as much to humanity as the material things you can buy

2. gmwilliams profile image83

This isn't love but askewed reasoning. People unthinkingly become homeless with your attitude.  One can care for a relative and still have wealth/career.  What world are you from? To go into debt for a loved one is beyond preposterous, it is stupid!

4. MarieLB profile image75
    MarieLBposted 9 years ago

I doubt that one can have such black & white solutions.  Life is not like that. 
    However, supposing I had to choose between all the money I had and bringing back my child.

I see it this way.  Could I ever live happy after choosing to give up my child?  Could I ever accept such a move?  Will money ever erase my guilt and my sorrow?  Nah. . .never.

Yet if I gave up all my money, I could perhaps start on the road of recovering from being destitute.  I could even - in time- have enough or as much as I had given up. 

To choose between a top job and caring for someone I love?
    but of course.  A job is replaceable, a loved one is not.

One can lovingly care for a person without going destitute.  The premise in the form of a question was presented childishly and illogically.  The question was asked in an askewed manner.  People with thriving careers have cared for loved ones.

2. chuckandus6 profile image80

I think someone that feels like money is everything is lacking the true appreciation for people.Kind of sad. People always say how happy my husband and I are and its definently not from bein rich

So you have the poverty mentality.  It is "great" to go into debt to care for people.  Well, that isn't logical.  One can be wealthy, have a career, and loving care for people.  What are YOU "thinking", if at all!

4. chuckandus6 profile image80

I have a mindset of ,my family would be my first priority,if i went from wealthy to struggling to be there for them,i would do it.struggling to get by is not the end of the world it adds character and strength

5. MarieLB profile image75
      MarieLBposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Grace Marguerite Williams, I believe that the person who put the question in the first place has the right to decide on how to put that question.  If you disagree, that is fine.  You will have the same right when you are in that position.

6. gmwilliams profile image83

Let's be reasonable here. People can care for people yet retain their careers and wealth.Hello, is anyone HOME?! Dashingscorpio and I are the only sensible, mature, and intelligent ones here! The question is insane in scope!

5. liesl5858 profile image85
    liesl5858posted 9 years ago

If my child was kidnapped and the kidnappers wanted all the money I have then I will give everything up because I would like my child back. That is how much my child means to me. Money is replaceable while my child isn't.

Leaving a job or doing part time job to care for my loved one who is not well. Well for me personally, I will ask the company I am working for if they can give me some time off to care for my loved one who is ill. I would rather care for my loved one than put him in a nursing home which I have to pay for anyway. Also I don't know if my loved one will get better or not so as much as possible, I would like to spend some more time with him and give him my time and care. You can have all the money in the world but if you loss someone you love, it would be painful and is irreplaceable.

Again ad continuum, one can have a successful/thriving career and provide great care for a loved one. How many times must I say this One doesn't have to go into impoverishment to care for a loved one.That notion is beyond ridiculous, even inane.

2. chuckandus6 profile image80

Yes i agree i could never put someone in a nursing home if i was physically able to care for them,why? i worked in laundry at a nursing home and a.nursing home takes away most of their possesions,their privacy,their self esteem.

There are EXCELLENT nursing homes around.If one has wealth,h/she is able to have private nursing care.It is done and has been done.  You have a VERY LIMITED PERSPECTIVE on problem solving.I have NEVER met anyone like you in my life.....

4. chuckandus6 profile image80

Your perspective boggles me too
      but I suppose there is good in indifference in people as proven in the past,in history and today.If everyone had the same perspective we would be all the same

5. gmwilliams profile image83

It  ISN'T indifference. I am not going into debt for anyone. If my child was kidnapped, I would contact the authorities. That is what INTELLIGENT people do. People do not quit working to care for loved ones. They provide the needed care and work!

6. MarieLB profile image75

I have been on HP for nearly a year.  I have never, ever come across someone who puts their view forward in such a rude and aggressive manner as gmwilliams.  I will stay away from that name in future.

7. gmwilliams profile image83

Not rude at all, just opinionated as New Yorkers are.  We say as we see it, straight no chaser.  We are hardcore realists regarding life.  No sugarcoating Pollyanna fantasy but the hard facts!

8. liesl5858 profile image85
      liesl5858posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Grace Marguerite Williams, I was answering the question presented above the way I would deal with the situation that is presented. We all have different views and the above is my answer. It doesn't have to be the same with yours.

6. old albion profile image61
    old albionposted 9 years ago

I would pay the money, I would also give up employment if a loved one needed me. Money is not the main thing in life odd as this might seem to some of us. If you are needed you should respond without doubt and your child should be your number one priority, yes number one.
    What we all seek in life is; Peace of mind, we realise this as we get older of course.
    Graham.

Thank you for your answer,it's good to know that there are people with a heart in the world.

2. MarieLB profile image75

Nichol marie. . . Rest assured, that there are many many more who "have a heart" as you would put it, and very few that would rate material gain over emotional tranquillity.

3. chuckandus6 profile image80

That is a good thing a world full of money crazed people would be a sad place.

7. tamarawilhite profile image83
    tamarawilhiteposted 8 years ago

I'd rather have my kids. That said, hiring someone to hunt down the kidnapper and get the kids back, ideally killing the thugs who likely have no issue cutting off kids' fingers to prove they have the child is not out of the question.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)