KatyWhoWaited profile image 82

Baby Boomers: What moral codes do you carry with you from the 60s when you were in your 20s?

Baby Boomers were born b/t 1946 and 1964. The Vietnam War and Environmental Movement played a great role in shaping our ideas, many of which seem to have been strict moral codes that we imposed upon ourselves. I realize that I still live by many of my beliefs of that era. I would never, COULD never buy an SUV because of the environmental impact. Few of my friends have more than 2 children since we believed it was irresponsible to over-populate the planet. Many of us are liberal in our politics,peace activists,social justice proponents. What are the moral codes you carry w you from that time?

BuffaloGal1960 profile image85

T. Clifton (BuffaloGal1960) says

• KatyWhoWaited profile image

KatyWhoWaited 3 years ago

ah, the true environmentalist!

Craan profile image83

Sheila Craan (Craan) says

• KatyWhoWaited profile image

KatyWhoWaited 3 years ago

Craan, that must be cute! I still do the jean thing of the era - triangle headscarf, jean shirt. I love the scarves and long skirts and colors! Thanks so much

Diana Lee profile image80

Diana L Pierce (Diana Lee) says

• KatyWhoWaited profile image

KatyWhoWaited 3 years ago

I once belonged to League of Women Voters and our discussion of landfills was very depressing. That group was/is so active in some really "un-romantic" issues that need addressing. Glad you brought up landfills, Diana!

carlajbehr profile image90

Carla J Behr (carlajbehr) says

• KatyWhoWaited profile image

KatyWhoWaited 3 years ago

Love that phrase "Can't we all just get along?"It's perfectly worded and does something when you hear it. A young friend gave me a scarf recently with a peace symbol. I use it as a dresser scarf. That is the 1 symbol has really lasted thru the yrs

simondixie profile image87

Nancy McLendon Scott (simondixie) says

• KatyWhoWaited profile image

KatyWhoWaited 3 years ago

Simondixie, I think turning out lights, etc., etc. are wonderful ways to express our knowledge that as Carl Sagan said, "We live on a tiny blue dot," in the universe. This is our only home for now. We need to think of those who come after us

Credence2 profile image86

Credence2 says

• cat on a soapbox profile image

Catherine Tally (cat on a soapbox) 3 years ago

If you kept your ears open at the demonstrations, you'd hear/see the same people cheering for peace& love as were cheering for the violent /gun-toting tactics of the subversive. It was definitely easy to persuade w/ crowd mentality.

cat on a soapbox profile image82

Catherine Tally (cat on a soapbox) says

Barbara Kay profile image86

Barbara Kay Badder (Barbara Kay) says

• cat on a soapbox profile image

I definitely agree that a mistrust of authority and government came from the 60s, and I too believe in more personal accountability/ self-sufficiency. It amazes me why voters keep saying yes to more programs and still higher taxes!

jada67 profile image2

Maxine Daniels Foster (jada67) says

• KatyWhoWaited profile image

KatyWhoWaited 3 years ago

Thanks Jada67. Values and morals once taught, really stick I guess.

ParadigmEnacted profile image80

ParadigmEnacted says

• KatyWhoWaited profile image

KatyWhoWaited 3 years ago

Paradigm, thanks for your comment. That didn't happen in my group. They got the engineering jobs, but continued marching for causes and kept many of the virtues. Maybe it was the city we're were from or the water or something (tee hee)

GlendaGoodWitch profile image87

GlendaGoodWitch says

• ParadigmEnacted profile image

ParadigmEnacted 3 years ago

Yeah? Did it happen overnight?