Improvements for America

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (41 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

America is a great nation.   However, the unemployment situation is awry and it is not going change anytime soon as more and more jobs are being outsourced to oversea businesses.   Our educational system is nothing to broadcast about, our children often do not have prerequisite skills to perform a simple job.   There is a growing chasm between the rich and poor with an ever decreasing middle class.    Name some suggestions to improve this situation!

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

America is presently a great idea. However, it's falling apart.
      Foreign investments are going to come, but most of it will be small business providing the Economic structure is changed.

An Economy that isn't operating based on equality is skewed for one-side than it is for the others. In this case, it's Big Business vs Small Business, or Mom and Pop type businesses.
      The problem is our educational system is churning out robots and not creative thinkers. It's producing people who have accepted the norm of working a job. The job mentality is bad unless you love what you do.

The average person wants to provide for themselves and their family(if they have one), put food on the table every night, have money to hopefully put their kids through college(if they have kids), make sure everyone has clothes on their backs and a place to sleep from the elements. Yes, most want a few luxuries, but some over indulge and when that happens, it puts a strain on the entire economic structure.
      Of course the middle class is becoming smaller. Over taxation and top of double taxation is enough to pound anyone into the payment if their income isn't high six figures or higher.
      Yes, pass one simple Law- Corporations are not allowed to pass along Federal or State taxes it is supposed to pay to the consumer. Second, appeal the Law which grants Corporations rights as individual person.

Cut back on the military industrial complex, move spending into reforming social security, medicaid, medicare and the educational system. Increase grant money and cut out the red tape, for honest small business expansion. Better regulation on price gouging. Better supervision over Wall Street and market manipulation from the upper 1% of the world's wealthiest.

It's understood that the upper echelon of the world's wealthiest have the power to move markets, just by shifting money from company to company, thus effecting the pricing structure of the world's products/goods and services. These people control ALL banks on the planet. The Federal Reserve Bank is not nor has it ever been owned or operated by America's government. It's an independent Central banking source made up of a Community of World Banks(the most powerful).

America doesn't make a surplus because it's too busy creating a deficit it apparently cannot handle. The more money printed by the Federal Reserve Bank is more weight add to America's economy, and it isn't a trickle down effect. It's massive, because the Federal Reserve Bank doesn't actually answer to anyone in particular.

There's a lot wrong in America. And government is only contributing to more wrong being done. How is it that people are unwilling to do what is truly needed to make the real change that is actually required. sad

1. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Corporations have to pass expense increases on to their customers. Otherwise they would go bankrupt. You cannot have the government dictating prices.

1. Cagsil profile image71
          Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Bankrupt? Seriously?
          I didn't say government had to dictate the prices. I simply said that government should implement a law which doesn't allow a Corporation to force the consumer to pay the taxation it is supposed to pay.

Yes price does have something do with taxation, but the accounting practice is what should be changed. If the company has to increase the price because of taxation, then through accounting taxation should be paid via the company, not the consumer. It can pay it's own damn taxes.

If it increases the costs of R&D, then so be it. It would give a damn good reason to give them tax breaks then. Because doing so is completely ridiculous because they don't pay taxes. The consumer does.

1. profile image0

Yes, bankrupt. Every single one of them.

Companies have two different items they have to look at. Revenues and expenses. If they don't make up for expenses in their revenues, they will go bankrupt. Every. Single. Time.

Every successful business factors in its expenses in its pricing. Including taxes. It's not as big of an item, but they account for it.

That's price fixing, an artificial price ceiling. Never mind the fact that it would be impossible to enforce.

Yeah, the consumer pays for the taxes, the rent, the electricity, the salaries, the R&D, the product/service. That's the whole system. Every cost is passed onto consumers.

I honestly am not sure exactly what you mean by having the company pay the taxes and not the consumer. The consumer purchases products or services, and the company uses that money to pay its expenses, including taxes. Corporations do pay their own taxes.

2. Josak profile image61
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The truth is the are no small fixes, it involves a total rewrite of our economic system and governmental system, they can be fixed relatively quickly but only by taking big steps. I don't expect anyone to agree with them.

#1) Unemployment: There is enough demand for services, natural resources and investment capital in the USA to give everyone who wants a job a decent one. The reason it does not happen is because the capital holders don't want to risk creating jobs that would almost certainly be profitable when they can simply put that money to earn massive interest in foreign accounts with zero risk. The tough answer then is to make the public the capital holder, the public would then have the investment capital to create profitable jobs for everyone and eliminate unemployment entirely. Aside from that tough restrictions on outsourcing would help but also does damage.

#2 Education: Simple we need to make education something worth while for more kids, we spend more than other countries per child but have comparatively low results. I think the main reason for this is simply that for many many kids finishing school and doing well is largely pointless because they know they won't be able to afford college unless hey get astounding grades for scholarships, those who can't simply drop out or stop caring so much, a universal amongst countries with excellent scores is publicly funded education for university/college, in New Zealand where I am currently the University/college is free (paid back over time after one begins to earn more than 50 000 and automatically taken off the top) but living expenses when one is in university are covered publicly so that students can concentrate on studying, as long as their grades are good their living expenses are covered for their first degree, economic studies of this policy since it has been running have showed an improvement in school grades, a massive increase in university entrance and have been calculated to be economically very profitable.

#3) The wealth gap is easily corrected by the first measure mentioned, nationalization of industry and the legislation of a maximum wage.

1. Quilligrapher profile image73
        Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi there, Josak.

May I interrupt your discussion with a question? What kind of a foreign account earns massive interest with zero risk to capital holders? It seems your whole solution for unemployment is based on a false premise.

Thanks for clearing this up for me.
        http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

1. Josak profile image61

Well I have a zero risk term deposit account earning 9.5% yearly on a relatively large sum in NZ, I am sure you can do much better with larger sums, banks want large sums to invest with on long term.

I also forgot to mention that a lot of that money is invested in non job producing places (like housing) which separately harm people (we have millions of empty owned homes and millions of homeless) or simply kept in liquidity, to give an example: I am a former coal miner and I have friends in the industry, not far from where I live there is a perfectly good mine site which no one is working, it's a moderate profit site but needs some starting capital but because the returns would be slightly less than what a non jobs investment is worth no one does it and as a consequence we miss out on more than a hundred jobs, the same thing happens all around the country.

1. profile image0

Where do you have a zero risk deposit account that earns nearly 10%?

1. Josak profile image61

Five year term deposit in an NZ bank, it's not even very good comparatively anymore.

1. WD Curry 111 profile image58
                WD Curry 111posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Have you ever heard of a Ponzi Scheme? Hello? Someone will lose their money before it is all over. Besides, it seems odd that a die hard communist is so wrapped up in capitalism. What's up with that?

1. Josak profile image61

It's a major bank, they want to money so they can make money with it it's a pretty simple thing not a Ponzi scheme. Also I am not a communist and yeah I own a business etc. when in Rome and all that, I play the game because I have no choice but to participate in capitalism in some way and I try to do it as morally as possible. I would rather not but that's how it goes if I want to be near my family.

Excuse me. You told me you were a communist freedom fighter, and (as a man) I respected you for the courage of your convictions. Major bank? Good luck with that.

So, in other words, you sold out? Communism just doesn't work.

2. profile image0

The only thing I could find at those rates is investments in finance companies, which includes risk.

What bank?

1. Josak profile image61

What sum deposit are you looking at though? I worked it out with the bank because it's a relatively large sum it's with ASB and actually it's 8 years looking at it, there are 5 years left (my bad). None of this is really the point I am sure you can do much better in certain places.  (can we please stop discussing my finances tongue ?)

Hello? You brought it up.  cool

2. profile image0

I was looking at all investment types in NZ. Banks seem to offer a maximum of 5.5% currently. ABS lists 5.1% as their highest rate.

I'm just wondering where you found such a high return with no risk. I've worked hard in the past to find 8% returns, to do better than that with no risk would be wonderful.

2. WD Curry 111 profile image58

Yeah, right. Work for the government and it will be peachy keen.         

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYobSXQkw3tIrPUGAteKtNLNnvcEcQQ-0kVXLjxtH1wS5TskYG

3. rhamson profile image72
      rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The biggest inprovement America can make is to revamp the political system we now have.  The "money elects the candidate" system we now operate under is doing a diservive to the country.  Instead of problems and issues being the "real" issue, special interest machines take over and cloud the issues and problems with propaganda.

As long as the politicians can keep us polarized and fighting among ourselves the status quo continues.

Too late. Buddy Roemer dropped out.

2. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 11 years ago

Simple answer - remove the whole government SYSTEM and replace it with a real government that stands between the people and the corporations who are the new robber barons.   A real government that stands for actual freedom of speech, actual humanitarianism, abandons making money for a few of its barons by sending its miltary all over the world to cause trouble.  The kind of govenment that does not need a small army to protect it from its own people.

3. WD Curry 111 profile image58
    WD Curry 111posted 11 years ago

Our education system is one of the best and most well rounded in the world. Hello? People flock here from all over to take advantage of it.

Quit spreading propaganda and get to work. The jobs we lost overseas are not worth having. Here in Central Florida, we are making our own jobs. Washington DC isn't there to create jobs. We want to keep them out of it as much as possible.

1. Josak profile image61

Our education system gets some of the worst results in the developed world it is currently ranked 22nd.

At the moment all jobs are worth having but I was not really talking much about outsourcing, the problem is capital is not being used to create jobs.

As for the Soviet I don;t support that system or even a very similar one but their unemployment did fall rapidly.

4. aware profile image67
    awareposted 11 years ago

stop waring for free.

1. Josak profile image61

or just stop warring.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)