Ann Romney Changes Tune

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (38 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 11 years ago

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/09/09/a … our-lives/

I thought at the GOP convention she said they had financial struggles?

1. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What's the problem? Your linked article puts words in her mouth.

Romney had stock he could sell, but they still lived frugally. If she said that she knew what it was like to struggle financially, you would be all over her for lying 'because they had stock'.

How about, they lived frugally, but they weren't struggling. How does that sound?

1. profile image0
        Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Would you like to watch the full interview?  Check out Meet The Press's website.  You can decide if the article "put words in her mouth."

I still don't see how being born into money, and never having to worry about paying the rent makes you empathetic, especially with the party she is in.  Human beings can twist their minds into pretzels though.

1. profile image0

She said they haven't had financial struggles, right?

Ok, when did she say before that they had?

If she 'changed her tune', where was the change?

1. profile image0

Eating tuna off an ironing board? LOL.  Lies.

1. profile image0

Why is it lies?

1. profile image0

Because she's attempting to portray her early situation as equivalent with those who actually have had to do such things.  Even if she did that, there was always a safety valve to fall back on that isn't there for most.  It's disingenuous at best to claim she has some sort of understanding of financial struggles.

AND, she admits that in the link I posted.  She changes her tune and talks about different kinds of struggles, which are real, because she is a breast cancer survivor, and she does have MS.  The money issue though is obviously a farce.  You would also think a woman who had the sicknesses she had would be in favor of universal health care for all, so other women who have those diseases don't have to go bankrupt, but that would be asking too much.

1. profile image0

Wait wait wait. Let's make this easier. I'll number my questions, you number your answers.

1 - Even if it's true, it's a lie?
                  2 - When did she say that they struggled financially?

1. profile image0

It's likely a lie, but even if it isn't, it doesn't make the point she wants it to.

From her RNC speech:

"We were very young. Both still in college. There were many reasons to delay marriage, and you know? We just didn't care. We got married and moved into a basement apartment. We walked to class together, shared the housekeeping, and ate a lot of pasta and tuna fish. Our desk was a door propped up on sawhorses. Our dining room table was a fold down ironing board in the kitchen. Those were very special days."

2. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, if she can change her tune, it must mean she has a song and can hold a note... Or not.

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics … ars/56321/

Basement apartment rent $62 but instead of dropping $400 a month for a dump, Daddy George Romney buys them a $42,000 house which they sell 7 years later for $90,000.

Typical life of the starving student couple.

1. profile image0

That was a decade later. It doesn't detract from the life they lived as students.

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The life they lived as students on stock earnings.
        Their next move, instead of another apartment, they got Daddy to front the money for a house. Which, is sounds like, they didn't have to pay back the loand and made money on the house.

It's the difference between being homeless and dumpster diving and going glamping.

They have no clue, no clue, what working families live like. They've never walked in the average Joe's shoes. And attempts to make themselves sound like they were "slummin" just don't ring true.
        Sorry.

1. profile image0

The life they lived on stock earnings was frugal. So what? A frugal life is a frugal life. I spent a year with our family living off money I made in Forex markets. It wasn't a lot, but it was enough. Just cause the money came from trading doesn't make it any more.

As for the loan, I don't know. Generally loans are paid back. However, it has nothing to do with the topic.

I'm actually surprised at you MM... I like it better when you don't defend the petty attacks. Living a frugal life off stock earnings is still a frugal life. The Romney's get attacked  for being rich, and having more than they need. They also get attacked for the times when they actually had very little. Go figure.

But, it's OK for Michelle to talk about the coffee table Barack got out of a dumpster... that just shows how human they are. Come on MM...

1. profile image0
            PrettyPantherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, I can agree with you that both Ann and Michelle talking about their early days made their husbands seem more human.

1. profile image0

But still a bad thing in Ann's case?

1. profile image0

You were denying that Ann was implying that they knew what it was to struggle.  That is a different point than humanizing Mitt.

I don't think it's a bad thing when anyone does it.  However, in the case of Ann and Mitt, it's pretty absurd given the reality of their background.

1. profile image0

I don't think that is what she was implying. She called it a special time. Not a difficult time. Not a time of hardship. She directly said(more than implied) that it was a good time. How does what you think she was implying trump what she actually said?

What about the reality of Barack's and Michelle's backgrounds? Expensive private schools, lucrative job offers, even with little experience... Why the double standard?

1. profile image0

I have not defended either of them.   You are defending Ann.  Where is the double standard?

2. Credence2 profile image80
            Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mitt and Ann are getting attacked because their effort to make it look like they have lived like the rest of us is disengenuous. Romney's father owned GM and was Govenor of Michigan. That is like Trump tellling me that he was a self made man when he inherited 400 million from his father. don't you think with such a tremedous advantage that you have to work really hard to be unsucessful? Crude analogy, but you can see where it leads. Mitt and Ann are not every man and everywoman and for them to sell that is a lie.

3. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 11 years ago

The point is that Ann Romney has tried to make it sound like she and Mitt know what it is to struggle.  One can argue over the fine points, but it is clear that, in an effort to show that she and Mittens can empathize with the less fortunate, she has implied a struggle that didn't exist.

1. profile image0

She didn't say anything to imply that it was a struggle. She didn't say they struggled. She didn't say it was hard. She just said it was a special time.

It's not arguing over fine points, it's people who don't like Romney putting words in her mouth. The article OP linked to called it a 'flip flop', because she said the same thing at the RNC that she said in 1994.

1. profile image0

It is common among politicians to frame a story about their background to imply some sort of experience to connect with a particular audience.  It isn't just Ann who does it. 

Why are you arguing about it?  It's clear that was her intention.  Just because she was clever enough to not use the word "struggle" doesn't mean the intent isn't crystal clear.  Seriously, Jaxson, you've been bending over so far backwards to defend the obvious that I'm surprised you can still stand up straight.

1. profile image0

Ok... you want to put words in her mouth, fine. Go ahead.

Rational discussion is almost impossible to find on HP.

You know what I got out of it? They know what it's like to live off a little. They had stock to fall back on, yes, but they still lived a very modest, frugal life together at the time.

The whole message that this is a flip-flop though, requires claiming that Ann said things she didn't say.

4. LauraD093 profile image70
    LauraD093posted 11 years ago

Sooner28 I always have to reply to your threads...this one made my day if not for the thread itself for the dialogue generated. I have lost quite a bit of political steam since getting older but reading your hubs/threads remind me of a time when I too could really burn hot over political deceit and lies. I suppose too may lies and false-histories like Ann Romney's fall flat for me today.  To widen public appeal a speech writer will make both her and Mitt the poster children for Middle America. Most people with IQ's over 2 know its BS but buy into the fantasy anyway. Ah...politics it still is great to be an American in other countries both our heads would have already been put up on spikes. Keep the" home fires burning!"

5. Petra Vlah profile image60
    Petra Vlahposted 11 years ago

Let me be real cynical here.
    WHAT IF by saying “those were special times” Ann was implying that they were “poor but happy”? Shouldn’t the rest of us get the clue? Shouldn’t we get over ourselves and leave them alone to enjoy the millions they worked so “hard” for?
    And by the way, since tuna was good enough for them, it should be good for us, so let’s eat more of it and maybe we can save enough money to buy a horse and take it to the next Olympics in Rio. By eating plenty of tuna, we will not even need health insurance…. Just think about it

1. Ralph Deeds profile image64
      Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ha!Ha!

6. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

It appears that "student loans" to the Romneys really is that $25K Romney encouraged college graduates who can't find a job to borrow from their parents to start a business!
    Only in their case it was $42,000.
    But they more than doubled in in 7 years ... so why can't everyone else?
    roll

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)