Was Obama really off in the debate last night or was it planned?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (46 posts)
  1. Marsei profile image90
    Marseiposted 11 years ago

To me, Obama seemed tired and distracted and Mitt seemed energized.  (Of course, not knowing what the "job" entails and how hard change comes could account for some of that.)  My husband, who is a Republican, is convinced that Obama planned the whole thing (for some yet unknown reason).   Although he will vote against him, he realizes how intelligent Obama is and says he would never let himself get caught offguard.  I'm interested in what others think.

1. livewithrichard profile image74
      livewithrichardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think Obama went in with just a bit too much confidence and he really didn't seize the opportunities that came up to pounce on Romney...  2 more debates scheduled before the election so we will probably see a big change in the next one... I think the biggest mistake he made last night was in saying that he and Romney mostly agreed on Social Security when that just is not the case considering Romney's 47% comments.

Marseiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your comments.  And thanks for being objective and CIVIL!  Don't see a lot of that these days in discussions about politics.  I also think the next debate will be different.   My Republican husband's thinking is that Obama didn't want to be seen as "pouncing."  Who knows?    Thanks again for the comment and your civilized manner!
        marsei

2. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is a copy and paste of my assessment from another thread:

"On demeanor and performance, Romney was vastly better.  Obama was off his game.  On substance, I call it a draw.  Romney lied confidently; Obama's claims were muddled.

Methinks one candidate spent more hours prepping than the other, which makes sense because one is "unemployed" (his words) and the other is POTUS.  lol"

Let me expand on that.  When I say "Romney lied confidently" I'm referring to the ease with which he suddenly claimed a moderate stance on Social Security, Medicare, taxation, and health care after campaigning with extreme positions on all of them for the past 18 months.  I think it is possible that Obama was caught off guard that Romney could so drastically change what he has been saying even as lately as a week ago and do it with such gusto and finesse.

When I say "Obama's claims were muddled" I mean he didn't do a very good job of staying on point while simultaneously addressing Romney's latest sketch in his etch-a-sketch campaign. 

When I pointed out that one is POTUS and the other is self-described as "unemployed," it was a shorthand way of saying that who knows what Obama dealt with leading up to the debates that could have distracted from either preparation or performance.  Mittens, as an unemployed campaigner, has the luxury of time that Obama does not.

No, I don't think Obama planned to underperform, although I do think he is always careful not to appear too aggressive or arrogant as there is a certain segment of the population who is always looking for him to be one or both.  I also think he is methodical and intelligent, and you will see a different strategy in the next debate.  He will be prepared when Mitt reinvents himself yet again to appear more moderate and pivots to claim a stance that is opposite to one he has articulated in the past.

Great assessment.  I have also begun to think something is up that Obama is having to deal with, although we'll never know what or maybe just the daily dealing the POTUS has to do.  It's sad that it's good for one candidate to be aggressive and arrogant and not another, but that's just the way it is and I agree that he's careful not to be. 
        Thanks for your insightful comments.
        marsei

2. Reality Bytes profile image76
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

It was not planned!

Obama was not "off his game"!

What you witnessed was an inexperienced incumbent with no actual success.  yes he passed healthcare, he also ignored the economy in doing so, and most Americans do not want it!  He got schooled, plain and simple!

But. feel free to justify his incompetence if it makes you feel better.  smile

Well, actually, if you read my post, it was my husband who was "justifying" if anyone, and he will vote Republican as always.

1. Reality Bytes profile image76
        Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh yeah, he was just "tired and distracted".   lol

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, he has more experience in being president than Romney has smile

As I predicted yesterday, people will see what they want to see in debates.

Yep, you're right on all counts.  Thanks for commenting. 
        marsei

2. Reality Bytes profile image76

True, although Romney has more life experience.  smile

Al Gore just used the excuse that the altitude was the cause.

Too funny.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It depends what you consider "life".  For many people that would include being in a single parent household, going into debt and so forth to be life experiences.

OK, Romney has been in more positions that his views have been challenged.  Obama has been pretty much coddled during his adult life, he is more used to the lecture scene than the debate.

1. psycheskinner profile image83

I don't think you could describe his first term of office as being at all like that.

He does not even do press conferences, how many times has Obama been actually drilled with questions?  He has not been challenged since John Mccain was run over.

When Barack is on the attack, he is flawless, make him defend his actions, he falls flat.

2. Marsei profile image90

Going into debt with a small business has been a large part of mine.  I can't imagine life without it and will be paying for it for years.  Thanks for this slice of reality. 
            marsei

3. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am no Mitt fan but I believe Romney made great progress in pointing out the fact that if in 2009 the economy was so important and it was, why was it that Obama had not concentrated all his efforts in making that turn around. Instead a long drawn out debate and battle was waged to make the heathcare bill pass all the while the economy remained stagnate. That was Romneys big talking point that Obama totally let slide by like a missed missle while it was the most poignant thing Romaney said all night.

I have no doubt Obama underestimated Romneys stiff robotic demeanor as something he could charm his way though but Romney whether factual or fractual was up for the challenge while Obama was left snoozing.

Lets see round two!

i noticed in the taxcut discussion.  While renewing the Bush taxcuts, Obama said that raising taxes during a recession was foolish.  Yet Obama cannot seem to acknowledge a reality without higher taxes on someone.  Romney stated that lowering unemployment, broadening the tax base, would raise revenue.  It seemed that Obama could not fathom the concept, it was in his body language.

Besides losing the war on words, Obama looked anything but presidential last night, he appeared to be suffering a scolding and meekly accepting it!

3. pisean282311 profile image64
    pisean282311posted 11 years ago

yes

Thanks,
      marsei

4. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

Overall, I thought it was a good debate and felt that Romney was more confident and better prepared with specific hits. His weakness to me was his repeated suggestion that states take on more fiscal responsibility/decision making when most are already struggling w/ serious economic and fiscal problems. This seemed idealistic and impractical. Obama's most confident area was healthcare. I think the next debate will show changes in both as their "handlers" tweak their strengths and weakneses. A little more eye contact toward his opponent would have served Obama better than his head-hanging/note-taking stance.

5. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image74
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 11 years ago

Obama is left with making Big Bird jokes. Kind of like taking a morning after pill after you get you know what.

Next Ryan will make Biden look like Cookie Monster without a cookie.

6. shagwalla profile image61
    shagwallaposted 11 years ago

Wake up!  These two CEO's are nothing more than political hacks who work for (ALEC) corporations and banks.  We, as a people need to realize that the US Gov is a corporation (1871 Act) and they do not work for us...  We are sovereign citizens of our respective state, not Washington, D.C. and unless we consent to their power - they have NONE!

Future with either one of these front-men:  More wars - Bigger Military - More Taxes - More Rules & Regulations - Police State Surveillance .... and more.

Welcome to HP, you have brought up more than can be handled by the HP forums.  lol

2. psycheskinner profile image83

So you suggest what to remove power?  Not voting or voting for a third party?

Good point.  And what are our third-party choices?

7. Marsei profile image90

Thanks, Cat.  Very good points.  I noticed the lack of eye contact and head hanging also.  I hope that changes next time. 
    Also agree about the states taking on more fiscal responsibility.  Louisiana is struggling along
    with many other states.

8. Marsei profile image90

Rhamson,
    Thanks for your comments.  I noticed the exact thing you did and still don't know why Obama let it slide.   I, too, am waiting for round 2.

9. crazyhorsesghost profile image69
    crazyhorsesghostposted 11 years ago

Obama did seem off and was far from his usual self. Maybe there is a problem we don't know about. I know I wouldn't want his job.

I think you may be right that something is up that we don't know about and likely never will.  He was not himself at all.    Thanks for commenting.
      marsei

10. kathleenkat profile image82
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

Either of these two:

-Felt distracted, for whatever reason.

-Agreed with Mitt, but didn't want to admit it.

I have seen Obama with much more energy, and fight. This was surprising. Something is up, but by no means did it appear "planned" to me.

I don't agree with my husband that it was planned.  Obama seemed and looked extremely tired and preoccupied and lacking his usual conifdence.  We'll likely never know what it was all about.  Waiting for next round.  Thanks for commenting.
      marsei

11. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

It's starting to look like it was a strategy. The media has found lots of "inaccuracies" in what Romney said in more than 50% of his statements and for the first time he rambled on about what he would do as president, like taxing everything while cutting taxes for the rich.

I just told my husband someone else sees it his way.  He's delighted.  That's what he's been saying, that Obama just let Romney rip and waited for the media to point out the inaccuracies.   He even says he saw a little smile on Obama's face each time it happened, but I think that's a stretch! 
      Thanks for your comment.
      marsei

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Obama is much smarter than he may appear at times.  I'm surprised the media pounced on him so quickly.  He will come on much strategically stronger in the days ahead.  Most of us knew that it was going to be a good night for the opponent.  He really had no choice, but like Obama says on this video, the Mitt that showed up wasn't the real Mitt Romney. lol   

http://www.upworthy.com/was-that-debate … eed?c=ufb1

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As I said in another thread, Obama let Romney prattle on, just a little too long for Romney's own good. wink

1. Denise Handlon profile image86
        Denise Handlonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol   Love it!

2. Marsei profile image90

Oh, my, Joe will love hearing someone else agrees with him, Hollie! 
        Thanks for commenting.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
          Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your husband sounds like a fair-minded man smile

After 46 years of marriage, I'll say he is objective, which is unusual when dealing with politics.  He's better at it than I am.

12. Denise Handlon profile image86
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

Great post debate topic, Marsei and follow up discussion here.  I watched the debate; I was disappointed with Obama's lack of energy and I just rationalize it as a man who wanted to be home with his wife to celebrate their anniversary, lol      (of course, I'm not serious!)

I agree with Rcrumple:  people will see what they want into the debate.  The debates will prove who's a slick speaker, however, in the end...I believe most people have already made their choice and are just counting down the days...

Thanks, Denise, it's been a fun discussion.  You're right; we all see what we want.  And likely we'll never know why Obama's energy and usual confidence were off last night.   Joe and I stopped canceling out each other's votes years ago and just stay home.  We just don't let the other out of sight on election day!  We voted together once when David Duke was running against Edwin Edwards for governor or Louisiana, the year bumper stickers said: "Vote for the Thief; it's important." 
      Will likely never happen again that we'll vote for the same candidate!
      Thanks for commenting. 
      marsei

13. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

"Wake up!  These two CEO's are nothing more than political hacks who work for (ALEC) corporations and banks.  We, as a people need to realize that the US Gov is a corporation (1871 Act) and they do not work for us...  We are sovereign citizens of our respective state, not Washington, D.C. and unless we consent to their power - they have NONE!

Future with either one of these front-men:  More wars - Bigger Military - More Taxes - More Rules & Regulations - Police State Surveillance .... and more."

Shagwalla,
    While being concerned about the power and political influence of banks and corporations, don't be snowed by the behemouth unions that are sneaking in the rear while all eyes are on Occupy Wall St.

Thanks for your commenting, Cat.
      marsei

2. shagwalla profile image61
      shagwallaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not fully understanding the OWS movement and tend to believe that it is some sort of premeditated distraction, rather than organic. I'm just not sure. By no means to I excuse or take my eye off the union component. Corruption from the bankers, corporations and most unions are equal in many ways. They are obviously vying for control and influence to line their own interests and pockets, so to speak.  I feel we should always question all things and at the end of the day; Cui Bono?   Who benefits?

Thanks for your comments, Shagwalla.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)