Think about this...

Jump to Last Post 51-75 of 75 discussions (401 posts)
  1. BuckyGoldstein profile image61
    BuckyGoldsteinposted 11 years ago

And wilderness is right the camera thing doesn't work.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 11 years ago

(-but, it is hip and cool to be on the left. As it was in the 70's.
    They were the "freaks and hairies" that occupied Hollywood and Sunset Blvd. circa 1969, here in So Cal. I was only 14 at the time and was awestruck when my parents brought me on a stroll along Sunset one day that year! Of course, later I emulated the hippie look, not understanding what they stood for. I only knew I was supposed to be cool and hip.
    It seems to be a problem of the youth. Youth is so wasted on the youth!)

1. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Statistically speaking people move further to the left throughout their lives but do not move as fast as society hence the elderly are statistically more conservative than the general population despite becoming more liberal throughout their lifetime simply because they are left behind by the pace of change.

Studies proving it:
      http://news.discovery.com/human/psychol … 120119.htm
      http://www.livescience.com/2360-busting … l-age.html

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
        Kathryn L Hillposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I really do not know why you bother. You believe your internet sources are so great as far as evidence, but look around you! Talk to people my age and older and you will understand what I'm talking about. Those who bought into the left agenda pretty much killed themselves off with drug use. Those that have survived were not of the left or left the left. Thats my take and I am not going to look at your references, if that is okay with you.

1. Josak profile image60

Facts are facts, I don't know why you bother opining without being aware of them.

I opine of my own experience, real life.  REAL LIFE

1. Josak profile image60

No not real life, your personal flawed and unrepresentative view of it, no match nor replacement for broad scientific study based on actual data. That is what separates opinion from fact.

we'll see... I just posted a pertinent Forum 
                (...if there are any baby boomers my age even participating in these forums! I doubt it much, however. They have better things to do.)

1. Josak profile image60

link?

*See new Forum post.

2. John Holden profile image60
          John Holdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sources please! And not personal experiences either. That is too narrow a picture.

3. Credence2 profile image79
          Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am your age or older, Kathryn and I don't see this great gap between your opinion based on your life experiences verses more universally applied solid scientific evidence and data.

So, I have seen that movie, too........

1. Barefootfae profile image60
            Barefootfaeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So what you have experienced in your life is meaningless and we are supposed to hope the "scientific data" is not faked like they did when they put sensors closer to heat sources to make things appear warmer.

1. Credence2 profile image79

So, why are your experiences any more valid than mine, or anyone else's for that matter. Where is the proof that a discovery  is not substantiated beyond your immediate perception?

I didn't say your experiences were invalid but your statement rather puts forth that one's experiences are meaningless if someone has a set of numbers of some sort.

1. Credence2 profile image79

I did not mean to imply that your experiences or mine are meaningless, but what I accept as established fact has to include more than any one's indivudual experiences. For me to accept something as 'fact' requires just a bit more....

3. WillStarr profile image80
    WillStarrposted 11 years ago

"You have no evidence that he's (Obama) actually done anything that advances anything even remotely resembling a radical leftist agenda."

At the present rate, Obama will have spent more by the time he gets out of office than all the other presidents combined, including George W. bush, whom he accuse of being unpatriotic for spending $4 trillion, in 8 years 'all by his lonesome'. Obama has already spent $7 trillion in just over 4 years, mostly on wealth redistribution..

He's spending us into bankruptcy. He's as radical as they come

1. donotfear profile image83
      donotfearposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yep....sad.....sure looks that way.

2. John Holden profile image60
      John Holdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But that doesn't make him a left winger.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image74
        Jeff Berndtposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, it really doesn't.

Sure, he's spending. He's spending because we need to continue functioning as a country. The deficit is big precisely because of W's unfunded wars and irresponsible tax cuts going into them, and nobody in Washington has the stones to let those stupid, irresponsible tax cuts expire.

But WillStarr still hasn't presented any evidence that Obama is a radical leftist.

How about you list some of his radical leftist accomplishments for us, Will?

3. Josak profile image60

US deficit for last budget created by Bush administration (budget for 2009) 1.41 trillion, Deficit for latest Obama administration Budget 901 Billion, Obama has cut half a trillion from the deficit in his time in office.

1. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why did you ignore what I said?

Bush's deficit wasn't actually that high.

4. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You apparently haven't noticed that the "wealth redistribution" in recent years has been from the middle class to the ultra-rich. The inequality of wealth and income in this country now resembles a South American dictatorship or Russia.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Which South American dictatorship or Russia would you say has an equal average standard of living, particularly with regard to wealth?  Homes, cars, TV's, saved money, etc.?

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65

The growing inequality of wealth and income in this country is causing increasing numbers of people to lose faith in our democratic, free enterprise system. Several other countries have much greater equality of income distribution and higher per capita GDP, not to mention much better health care at a fraction of the cost in this country.

Those would be the ones rated as being more prosperous on the Legatum Group's prosperity index.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65

My comment went to inequality of income and wealth distribution. No South American country equals the U.S. in average income. According to Forbes the richest man in the world is Carlos Slim Helu, a Mexican. He's followed by Gates and Buffett.

4. WillStarr profile image80

Josak,

The Debt accumulated by all presidents combined was $10 trillion when Obama took office.

He has added another $7 trillion in just four years by himself. He owns it now, and can no longer blame Bush. Neither can you.

Obama was saddled with Bush's recession which greatly reduced tax receipts on top of a big tax cut for the rich, with two costly wars, an unfunded Medicare drug program written by drug lobbyists, not to mention the need to spend money to bail out the banks and auto companies and stimulate the economy to avert a depression.

Yes.  Two unfunded wars which he pledged to end but has continued to increase the cost of.

An unfunded Medicare program to be replaced with a severely  underfunded Obamacare package that will absolutely dwarf it.

5. WillStarr profile image80

"Obama was saddled with Bush's recession..."

When are you Obama apologists ever going to stop blaming Bush?

Not to mention that the Democrats caused the recession with Freddie, Fannie, the CRA, and making home loans to people who could never pay them back.

Bush didn't cause the recession...Democrats did!

Sorry, Will. You'd better read up on that one. There's plenty of blame to go around for the worldwide recession, Republicans and Democrats. I agree that although the crash came on Bush's watch, others were to blame as well. However, Clinton handed him a healthy economy and a balanced budget. Clinton should never have allowed the Glass-Steagall Act to be repealed. I'll bet he wishes he'd never signed the bill.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image74

Not to mention that the Democrats caused the recession with Freddie, Fannie, the CRA, and making home loans to people who could never pay them back.

An old lie, and an obvious one. Nobody forced any mortgage company to make loans to people who couldn't pay them off. Nobody forced mortgage companies to bundle those loans into mortgage-backed securities, lie about their riskiness, and sell them to unsuspecting investors, but they did it anyway. Nobody forced banks to write riskier and riskier loans to satisfy the demand for (fraudulent) mortgage-backed securities, but they did.
      Your post is a lie. You might genuinely believe it, which means you're not necessarily a deliberate liar, but you're certainly saying something that isn't true.

Educate yourself before you embarrass yourself by repeating this ignorant nonsense again.

6. WillStarr profile image80

"Sorry, Will. You'd better read up on that one."

Oh?

Have you forgotten already that the housing bubble, caused the increased demand based on the bad loans backed by Freddie and Fannnie, finally burst, followed by the collapse of Freddie and Fannie, and the domino collapses of the hundreds of lending institutions left high and dry by the loss of Freddie and Fannie?

The Democrats and the media blamed Bush, and they got away with it, for the most part, but yes, the Democrats directly caused the recession of 2008 by meddling in the housing market.

You'd rather blame Bush, Ralph, but like the other libs, you never  tell us why it was Bush's fault. I just told you who caused it, and how.

You must be feeling a burning sensation in your trousers right about now.

I just [lied to] you [about] who caused it, and how.

7. WillStarr profile image80

Read all about it (or is anyone who disagrees with you a 'liar'?):

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc … nk/249903/

8. WillStarr profile image80

To the left, big government is never wrong, and capitalism is never right.

Government meddling in the housing market resulted in its ultimate collapse, but the left will never admit it, labeling anyone who points it out as a 'liar'.

Only because they're liars.

Big government didn't commit fraud; the capitalists did that all on their own.

Note that this does not make capitalism wrong. Rather, the capitalists who committed fraud are criminals--bad acters in an otherwise worthy system.

The government never required anyone to create a single mortgage-backed security, nor did it ever require anyone to lie about the level of risk involved in said securities. That is what caused the housing crisis, and either you know this to be the case and are telling deliberate lies to defend your ideology, or you don't understand the crisis at all and aren't worth listening to anyway.

9. WillStarr profile image80

Republicans tried to rein in Freddie and Fannie, warning of an imminent collapse, but were attacked by angry Democrats who said  both institutions were just fine. Watch the hearings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OtCCJERaIk

10. WillStarr profile image80

"The government never required anyone to create a single mortgage-backed security, nor did it ever require anyone to lie about the level of risk involved in said securities."

A straw man. I never said they required it.

What they did was encourage lenders to make risky loans by buying up any bad debt. By doing that, they created a false demand that drove up prices and encouraged speculators to buy and flip houses. When the bubble finally burst, Fannie and Freddie simply collapsed and the lenders were caught holding the toxic debt.

No one is innocent here, nor did I claim that. But unlike you, I recognize that government (read Democrats) bungling led to the current recession, and as you can see from the article you ignored, so do many others.

In any case, my original statement is absolutely true...this is not George Bush's recession at all, and Obama damn well knows it. He, sir, is your liar.

"I never said they required it."

So you admit that the lenders created the risky loans all on their own, and bundled those risky loans into mortgage-backed securities all on their own, and lied about the risk involved with those securities all on their own?

Good, then you're placing the blame where it belongs: on the people who wrote the risky loans and defrauded investors by lying about the risk of the securities created from those loans.

Stop pretending the government held a gun to the bankers' heads and made them defraud the people; it just ain't so.

I mean, seriously, I thought conservatives were supposed to be big on personal responsibility. Now you're saying that because Fannie and Freddie bought securities, it's their fault that the banks created more and riskier securities and lied about the risk? That's like saying because people want to buy orange juice, it'd be their fault if Sunkist started watering down the orange juice they sold and lying about the juice content thereof on the label. You're putting the blame on the wrong people.

Or, perhaps you're admitting that the only thing keeping bankers from routinely defrauding their customers/investors is strict--and strictly enforced--regulation?

Because if you blame the bad actions of the bankers on something the government did or didn't do, that's exactly what you're admitting.

Correct.

2. Credence2 profile image79

That's a big 10-4, Jeff

11. WillStarr profile image80

Jeff,

When someone like you finds it necessary to continually put words in my mouth, it's actually an admission that you know I'm right.

Democrats created the environment that resulted in the housing collapse and the resulting recession that we are still in.

And I can tell by your constant squirming that you know its true.

The Democrats never do anything wrong.

You know that.

2. BuckyGoldstein profile image61
      BuckyGoldsteinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, he knows its true.

3. Jeff Berndt profile image74

What squirming? You mean all that bit up there where I destroyed your argument so thoroughly that your only recourse is either to admit your error or to take refuge in a sad state of denial? 'Cos that's what happened just now, and everyone saw it.

Did "Democrats" write risky loans, bundle the loans into risky securities, and  sell those securities while hiding the level of risk of said securities?

No, they did not.

Do you agree or disagree that in the absence of coercion, the person who takes a given action is the person responsible for that action?

If yes, then you can't blame anyone for the housing crisis but the people who committed the securities fraud.

If no, then you must concede that strict--and strictly enforced--regulation is needed to prevent people from committing fraud.

If "Democrats" are guilty of anything, it's of complicity in the repeal of Glass-Steagal, which, if left in place, would have made the fraud a lot less easy to commit.

"If "Democrats" are guilty of anything, it's of complicity in the repeal of Glass-Steagal, which, if left in place, would have made the fraud a lot less easy to commit."

What do you mean "if"? They did exactly that!

You do know that Glass Steagal was repealed in 1999, right? When the GOP controlled both houses of congress. If Republicans wanted to keep Glass-Steagal in place, they could have done it. Instead, the bill repealing it was introduced by Senator Phill Graham (R), Texas.

Eight Senators voted against its repeal: 7 Democrats and one Republican.
          57 Representatives voted against its repeal: 51 Democrats, 5 Republicans, and 1 Independent.

This is the only thing that you can conceivably blame "Democrats" for, but you can't even really do that, because more Dems realized that this was a bad idea than Republicans did: only one Republican Senator voted against repealing Glass-Steagall (two did not cast a vote), and only five out of 222 GOP Reps voted no (10 didn't vote). So if you want to blame the Dems, you can blame them for not fighting hard enough against the Republican-sponsored repeal of Glass-Steagal. You could blame Clinton for not vetoing the bill, too, I guess, but the bill already had a veto-proof majority (made up of a lot more Republicans than Democrats), so you could also argue that there wouldn't have been much point.

Partisan scoundrels will grasp at any kind of straw to blame the other team for anything bad that happens, and will say darn near anything to try and convince people that their team is blameless.

Luckily, there are these handy things called facts, that exist in the real world, and that rational people can look at and compare to the rantings of the partisan scoundrels, and when we see that they don't match up, we can see who is talking out of their nether orifice, and who is not.

How about if we just blame a stupid if well meaning congress?  Instead of the evil banksters that, willingly or unwillingly, accepted the wants of Congress?

All we can blame Congress for is the repeal of Glass-Steagal (and perhaps the general trend of deregulation--which has turned out badly).

We can't blame Congress for people who aren't even in Congress committing securities fraud.

You DO know who signed it into law don't you? Clinton the democrat President. Unless now you want to claim he was a republican.

You obviously aren't even bothering to read the posts you're responding to, because if you'd read my last, you'd know it says:

You could blame Clinton for not vetoing the bill, too, I guess, but the bill already had a veto-proof majority (made up of a lot more Republicans than Democrats), so you could also argue that there wouldn't have been much point.

True, didn't read that part. Doesn't change facts already presented.

Democrats did everything they could to prevent regulation!

The idea of course is to try and make it look like the Republicans and the evil bankers were the only ones with their fingers in the pie.

Just like the sequester......

The sequester? Oh yeah, the new Bush.

The sequester made Rosie O'Donnell fat
                    The sequester causes guns to kill
                    The sequester causes Obama to go on vacation
                    The sequester made Rachel Maddow ugly
                    The sequester sank the Titanic

That damn sequester.

Now we're talking about the sequester? Why change the subject (again)?

Oh, it's cos you've thoroughly lost the argument and are trying to save face, maybe?

Another false statement.

Count up the numbers. More Democrats than Republicans opposed the deregulation.  Or have you decided to pretend that you don't know how to count, now?

12. WillStarr profile image80

I see I now have three hard core liberals blindly denying the truth, despite the video of Democrats in Congress angrily defending Freddie and Fannie and resisting the regulation that might have prevented the collapse.

You can lead them to water....

Do you have any video of Democrats committing securities fraud? Nope, 'cos they didn't.

You keep blaming the bad actions of one group of people on an entirely different group of people.

Morally. Bankrupt.

Are you saying all of the bankers were republican?

Why would anybody have a video of people committing securities fraud?

There is video of democrats doing everything they could to convince the world there was nothing to see. Do you need those videos?

Are you saying all of the bankers were republican?
          Nope. I'm saying that congressmen didn't commit securities fraud. Bankers did. But Will wants to blame congressmen (and absurdly, only Democratic ones) for a crisis that happened because  of bankers committing securities fraud.

Tell me, if I put a pie on my windowsill to cool, and it gets stolen, who is guilty of theft? Me? Or the guy who took the pie?

If your answer is anything other than "The guy who took the pie," then we can understand how you can reach the conclusion that "Democrats" caused the housing crisis: It's because you don't get how responsibility works.

If your answer is "The guy who took the pie," then you're merely living in denial, 'cos you know darn well you're wrong about who's responsible for the housing crisis, and you're just trying to blame the other team because, hey, you gotta blame someone, and bankers don't have to run for reelection. But if you can convince people that the fault lies with the Democrats (even if you have to ignore basic morality to do it), then woohoo!

2. Barefootfae profile image60

Morally bankrupt? Really?

You have the stones to say that standing behind a party who has as one of their biggest heroes a man who brought about the death of a woman he was philandering with and oh yes walks away from the situation?

Don't preach to people about their morals Jeff. Straighten the Donkeys out first.

"You have the stones to say that "

Yes, I do. And I stand behind it.

Great. Your hero is a murderer.

[citation needed]

Who are you even talking about?

Stop making stuff up to win arguments (it's both dishonest and ineffective).

Sen. Edward Kennedy deceased

He's not my hero; nice use of the strawman gambit.

Morally. Bankrupt.

That man is an icon of the Party you stand behind.
                    You said so yourself.
                    But you don't care about HIS moral bankruptcy.....nor does the rest of leftdom....because he is after all who he is.

13. WillStarr profile image80

Who created the conditions that resulted in the housing crisis? The Democrats, with Freddie, Fannie, the CRA, and Fair Housing.

That is the truth that the libs here try to avoid! Without that Democrat meddling in the housing market, the loans would never have been made!

And why did the Dems do that?

To buy votes. That's the key to everything the Dems do.

In any case, I've made my point, so you libs are now free to twist my words all you want.

It's what you do best.

14. BuckyGoldstein profile image61
  15. WillStarr profile image80

You'll notice that the one thing Jeff and the others will not deny is that the Democrats, with Freddie, Fannie, the CRA, and Fair Housing set up the situation that encouraged the high risk loans that led to the collapse.

They don't deny it because they know it's true. So they divert.

Jeff admits that the Democrats baked the housing pie and deliberately set it in the window to tempt the thieves, but he attaches no responsibility to the tempters at all.

Typical liberal.

If I put a pie on the windowsill to cool, and someone steals it, who is guilty of theft? Me, or the guy who took the pie?

Your argument above blames me, and not the guy who took the pie.

Morally. Bankrupt.

Typical partisan scoundrel.  (True conservatives have moral integrity.)

I'm pretty sure the sequester took the pie.

Losing an argument? Just change the subject--maybe you can make it look like you won this argument by starting an entirely different one.... lol

Not even close Jeff. There is no sense in debating who is at fault with you, you like every other liberal will deny the facts. The only thing left is brevity.

2. wilderness profile image95

If you take your cooling pie of the window sill, push it into a hungry man's hands and turn your back, did he steal it?

16. WillStarr profile image80

"Your argument above blames me, and not the guy who took the pie."

No. Unlike you, I'm not blaming one while ignoring the other...both are to blame, and I think that despite your deliberate obtuseness, you know very well that it's true.

Okay, I'll accept that you're blaming both acters for the theft of the pie (even though only one person stole a pie).
      Now if you want anyone to agree that the person who put the pie on the windowsill and the pie thief are both equally culpable, you must construct an argument for why putting a pie on a windowsill is morally wrong.

Can you do so? I doubt it, 'cos it isn't. But go ahead and try.

You don't think its morally wrong to guarantee all mortgages with someone elses money?

2. Josak profile image60

So a guy cooling a pie is morally culpable for doing so if someone steals it? What universe do you live in?

Only you two would compare the billions lost to a pie!

1. Josak profile image60

Which is weird since: "Jeff admits that the Democrats baked the housing pie and deliberately set it in the window to tempt the thieves, but he attaches no responsibility to the tempters at all. "

Was what started the pie analogy and was posted by WillStarr.

No he didn't you should read more.

1. Josak profile image60

I did and it appears he indeed did not start it but he most certainly used it which means he did in fact "compare the billions lost to a pie!" as apparently only Jeff and I would do...

I have already explained the sequester stole the pie.

1. profile image58
                  Education Answerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The sequester caused this thread.

The sequester caused you to post.

17. WillStarr profile image80

"Okay, I'll accept that you're blaming both acters for the theft of the pie (even though only one person stole a pie)."

Why do you insist on putting words in my mouth? That's the hallmark of a dishonest debater!

I blame the Democrats for knowingly tempting lenders to make bad loans, while you pretend that only the lenders are to blame. Without the Democrat's schemes, those loans would never have been made, a fact that you will not admit.

1. Josak profile image60

Anyway this whole argument is based on a false premise that guaranteed loans caused the GFC this is factually untrue, indeed guaranteed loans performed much better than completely independent loans taken out by people with no government support or aid, the government insisted that anyone receiving it's help had to have an income capable of repaying the loan within 25 years with the interest.

The crash was cause by NINJNA loans (no income, no job, no assets) which were entirely created by private institutions and it collapsed when these failed to make returns, unfortunately these were packaged and sold all over the place spreading those irresponsible decisions to those too greedy for short term profits to consider the risks.

Exactly so. According to Will's logic, if a rich guy gets robbed, it was his fault for being all rich and tempting thieves to steal his wealth.

Again: Morally. Bankrupt.

Why do you insist on putting words in my mouth?

I didn't put words in your mouth. You said: "Unlike you, I'm not blaming one while ignoring the other...both are to blame,"

So both the thief and the victim are to blame, according to YOU.

Morally. Bankrupt.

18. healthyfitness profile image73
    healthyfitnessposted 11 years ago

Thats a great quote. It makes a lot of sense. In my opinion anyone can be successful in a capitalistic society.

1. WillStarr profile image80

"Was what started the pie analogy and was posted by WillStarr."

Do try to keep up, Josak...the pie analogy was Jeff's idea, not mine

2. WillStarr profile image80

"I did and it appears he indeed did not start it but he most certainly used it which means he did in fact "compare the billions lost to a pie!" as apparently only Jeff and I would do..."

(sigh)

What is it with liberals and putting words in your mouth?

My point all along is that without the deliberately tempting provisions provided by Democrats, the lenders would never have made loans they knew could not be repaid.

The Democrat meddling in the housing market was the necessary stimulus that created the housing bubble and the disaster that followed. That much is undeniable.

1. Josak profile image60

Simply not true since most of the failed loans had no government involvement whatever they were simply private institutions gambling on a housing market that they thought would continue to grow.

The failing from both sides was failing to regulate NINJNA loans and sub-prime loan packaging.

And yet they keep denying it.

The sequester made them deny it.

3. Jeff Berndt profile image74

without the deliberately tempting provisions provided by Democrats,

Lemme get this straight: even though the repeal of Glass-Steagall was done by a Republican majority congress, with the GOP voting almost unanimously in favor, it's the Democrats who did it? And what's more, they did it to deliberately tempt people to commit fraud?

Seriously? Is that what you're going with?

lol

You're looking really ridiculous now.

3. BuckyGoldstein profile image61

Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act Had overwhelming support of both Parties and the democrat Presidents signature.

4. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 11 years ago

If what I have been reading is representative of the conservative brand, it is no wonder that they are and remain in trouble with the American electorate. They have been diverting from the relevant topics throughout this thread. Yes, Edward Kennedy was a great legislator, regardless of what the rightwing political geniuses have shared with us. There is no negotiating with them. Having a more evolved sensibility,  we must simply resolve to defeat them at the polls at every opportunity, knowing who they are and what they REALLY represent.

I am just afraid that they will resort to lock and load tactics once they are sufficiently bored with the democratic process, and there is no way for them to reach people with their nonsense. I would never put it past a rightwinger!

Its more evolved to justify killing? I see, thanks for the tip.

5. Barefootfae profile image60
      Barefootfaeposted 11 years ago

Ok I will just say that i only brought Ted up for a couple reasons. Firstly no one of either party has any sort of business telling anyone else they are morally bankrupt. Any politician alive is morally bankrupt. That's the nature of the business.

Second: I know you have hears this before but had that been GW Bush or any other politician perceived as Republican or Conservative the screaming and yelling and rending of clothing and holding of breath till you turn purple and what ever other manner of public display of mad pissofffedness the left could have demonstrated would have been until that individual left office and was never heard from again.

But it's Ted Kennedy and he was a great Senator. That's the left.

And they should be reminded of their hypocrisy every minute of everyday!

Not that it matters to them.

Well it is always they are supposed to beat you over the head with stuff but they will just sort of sniff and shrug their shoulders if you turn it around on them.

They don't like to be reminded of the odor from when they defecate. A true liberal leaves no odor.

It is amazing how they do not recognize in themselves what they see in others.

6. WillStarr profile image80

What to Cut: Calls to shed debt-burdened Fannie, Freddie

More than five years after the housing bubble burst -- sending the U.S. economy into a tailspin from which it has yet to fully recover -- the two government-backed entities at the heart of the bust remain deeply in debt.
      At a time when the government is struggling just to pay its bills, the sustained troubles of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac continue to lead to calls from many to privatize the mortgage giants.
      "The biggest problem with Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac is that they are financial institutions with a social mission," said Tom Schatz, president of Citizens Against Government Waste.
      That social mission, critics say, is to heavily subsidize mortgages for people who don't meet sound lending qualifications. "Lower income homes have a tougher time paying mortgages and when the housing market started to go under, that was the first to go," Schatz said.
      Both Fannie Mae, which was founded in 1938 during the Great Depression, and Freddie Mac, created in 1970, had historically been restricted to so-called prime loans -- or high-quality loans. That ended in 1992, under the George H.W. Bush administration, when Congress passed the Safety and Soundness Act, which required the Department of Housing and Urban Development to promote affordable housing.
      American Enterprise Institute scholar Edward Pinto said this "actually planted the seeds of the destruction of Fannie and Freddie" by feeding "the boom and the bust."
      Pinto said that bad choice led to another when, in 1995, the Clinton administration created  the National Homeownership Strategy. "Its cornerstone was doing away with downpayments. So you had now Fannie and Freddie, instead of doing prime loans, were doing progressively more risky and risky loans."
      The George W. Bush administration also pushed low-income homeownership, but sounded alarms about the health of Fannie and Freddie as early as the fall of 2003, when ex-Treasury Secretary John Snow told a congressional committee: "We need a strong, world-class regulatory agency to oversee the prudential operations of the GSE's (government-sponsored enterprises)."
      Some refused to pay heed to Snow's warning. The then-ranking member of the House Financial Services Committee, Barney Frank, told Snow: "The more people, in my judgment, exaggerate a threat of safety and soundness, the more people conjure up the possibility of serious financial losses to the Treasury, which I do not see ... then the less I think we see in terms of affordable housing."
      Today, taxpayers are stuck with the bill for the government's poor judgment.
      "In June 2011, the Congressional Budget Office said that taxpayer liability for Fannie and Freddie had reached $148 billion and could go up to $317 billion," Schatz warned.
      Pinto believes the government further distorts the mortgage market through its 12 federal home loan banks, the Federal Housing Administration, and Ginnie Mae.
      The departments of Agriculture and Veterans Affairs also provide mortgage assistance.
      But Pinto singles out FHA, in particular. "It has really become the escape valve for riskier lending," he said. "They could take the riskiest loan that they'll do, and they'll price it the same in terms of a guarantee fee or an insurance fee as the least risky product they'll do. That's because Congress won't let them price for risk. They basically said we don't want you to price for risk, we want you to have these distortions."
      Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., said this was all done "in the name of doing good" but described it as a "misdirected compassion for something that you couldn't actually accomplish."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03 … z2OsGme2OY

7. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 11 years ago

"The evidence of the wreckage of the Bush years can be found everywhere. Under this conservative president, federal spending rose from 18.5 percent of GDP in 2001 to 21 percent in 2008, while a $125.3 billion surplus became a $364.4 billion deficit. Median family income, which had grown from $42,429 in 1980 to $46,049 in 1990, and which grew again during the Clinton Administration to $50,557 by 2000, shrank under George W. Bush, standing at $50,223 in 2007 before the start of the recession. During the Bush presidency, three million jobs were created. That compares to 23.1 million during Bill Clinton's two terms, and 16 million during Ronald Reagan's. The rate of job creation under Bush was the lowest under any post-World War II president."

Pulitzer Prize winning journalist Thomas B. Edsall in Huffington Post.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)