What's the Bigger Problem in America?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Sychophantastic profile image85
    Sychophantasticposted 10 years ago

Sexual promiscuity or scientific illiteracy?

This argument came up in one of my other questions and there appeared to be disagreement. I'll frame the question:

Is it a bigger problem that people are having too much sex (before marriage, unprotected; etc.) or a bigger problem that people don't understand basic scientific principles and how scientific inquiry works?

Support your position by describing what you think the outcome will be and what it's doing to society as a whole.

1. TwerkZerker profile image73
      TwerkZerkerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'd say it's a tie between scientific illiteracy and single-issue voters.

Basically, take any given contentious issue, assume that many of the people who have an opinion on that issue have very poor scientific understanding and/or reasoning ability, then present your side using only appeals to pity and other emotional responses and use as little actual logic and as few hard facts as possible. Proceed to win votes. Guaranteed.

Unfortunately in America, the most compelling case and the most well-reasoned case don't necessarily have to have anything to do with each other.

1. profile image58
        Education Answerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"single-issue voters"

I think this is a good point.

2. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Of course, scientific illiteracy.  Unfortunately, in this postmodern 21st century society, there are those who vehemently eschew evolution and other scientific advances such as stem research.  These people proclaim that evolution is not preordained and that stem research is inhumane.  They still believe that the world is 6 thousand years old.  Scientific illiteracy is abhorrent in the 21st century.  This world is becoming increasingly advanced and we need those with a high degree of scientific literacy in order to thrive in such a world.   People who have a high degree of scientific literacy have the tools(if used properly) to improve society in many aspects.   Sadly, many people are mire in the religious indoctrination and ideology of the middle ages.

1. Zelkiiro profile image88
        Zelkiiroposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Who are you, and what have you done with gmwilliams?

1. gmwilliams profile image85

I AM GMWILLIAMS.........If you did not know it already, I am a Liberal, thank you kindly.  My synopsis of the situation at hand is true and it STANDS.  America sadly in this postmodern era has an issue with science.  The level of scientific illiteracy is beyond appalling.  There are people who are quite fearful, even highly apprehensive of scientific advances.  These are the people who proclaim that humans have preordained as to how far to advance scientifically.  They proclaim that to go further is to "play God."   With such thinking, American will remain scientifically where she is, even regress into a scientific quagmire.   This is highly unconscionable if you ask me, Zelkiiro.

1. profile image0
            HowardBThinameposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I understand what you're saying, GM. There is a sector that seems to be frightened by certain advances in science and claims the scientists are "playing God," as you say. They are where they are.

There is another sector that pushes so hard against the anti-science sector that they actually begin to view science in a cult sense. Science is fluid, it changes, it corrects itself. Science is not a fact but a series of theories to be tested, retested and revised as new information becomes available.

Both sectors have some things right and some things wrong, but they are where they are. Consider that science gives us wonderful medications that can help us eradicate different diseases, but consider also that science has given us medications with promises (like fen-Phen) that were incredibly wrong.

When we reach the level where we blindly accept all science, just because we don't like those people who don't accept science - we've become what we were pushing against to begin with.

1. TwerkZerker profile image73
              TwerkZerkerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Very well put!

1. gmwilliams profile image85

Thank you.

2. gmwilliams profile image85

Thank you.

3. profile image0
      HowardBThinameposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Of those two - I'd say sexual promiscuity is probably the "bigger" problem, but neither are truly close to the biggest problem, which is our inborn "need" to force what we think is right - on others. If we could all just back off a bit - it would help tremendously.

4. GA Anderson profile image88
      GA Andersonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No! I think I have a good comment to offer, but my school days, with edits of what to do and how to do it are long behind me.

You offer an opinion and support why you posted this topic. It must mean something to you or you would not have introduced it for a discussion.

GA

5. sannyasinman profile image60
      sannyasinmanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What is the biggest problem in America?

The privately owned company known as the "Federal Reserve".

The fed as federal as McDonalds hamburgers. Abolish the Fed, allow the US government to create its money itself, and in a stroke you remove the vast majority of the USA (and the worlds) problems.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

From the point of view of a scientist, how is sexual activity in itself a problem?

I think sex is like anything (driving cars, work, pets, sports, etc).  Problems surround it and can occur in that context.  But the thing itself is not a problem.

So by default I would say the other option.

1. profile image58

I understand what you are saying, but there are possible consequences.  Your argument is kind of like saying that drugs aren't bad. . . .unless you use them and have an unintended consequence.  Driving 120 miles per hour isn't  a problem. . .unless you crash.  Yes, sex isn't bad unless there are consequences.  However, nothing is bad if there are no consequences. 

I think I can come up with a few reasons promiscuity isn't that great.

According to the CDC, more than 110 million Americans have an STD, and half of new infections each year are among young people. Promiscuity has possible consequences, such as: chlamydia, cytomegalovirus (CMV), genital warts, gonorrhea , hepatitis B, herpes, HIV & AIDS, human papillomavirus (HPV), molluscum contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), pubic lice (Crabs), scabies, syphilis, and trichomoniasis.

How many unplanned pregnancies result in abortion?  How many children are born with no father in the picture?  How many young mothers struggle to go to school or hold down a job, because they were unprepared to take care of a baby who isn't much younger than they are?  How much public assistance do we offer to help people who keep having unplanned pregnancies?

3. Sychophantastic profile image85
    Sychophantasticposted 10 years ago

I probably should elaborate because I think  the issue was more sexual promiscuity combined with the promiscuous person then relying on the government or private sector to solve their issues when a "problem" arose, like pregnancy.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think anyone who has a kids just to get welfare needs mental health treatment.  It is not a trade off that really makes sense.

So perhaps you simply mean "unplanned pregnancy".  Yes, that is any issue.  But if the country did not have the 50% of pregnancies that are unplanned I would argue we would be worse of, not better. The economy would most likely still be in recession.  So--still not really a problem overall, at the national level.

1. janesix profile image59
        janesixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, I personally know people who HAVE gotten pregnant just for the government benefits. This was a long time ago, though, when there was money involved, back in the 80's I think. Sad, really.

These days, it's a lot harder to squeeze out benefits from the government.

1. profile image58

It's harder but not that hard.

4. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 10 years ago

I don't think either is a big problem in America.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Biggest problem

War of the classes No 1.
      Not enough drug and sex education and treatment vs War and imprisonment over it
      3. Green power for the people vs polluted greed for profit
      4. Throw away products and relationships

5. maxoxam41 profile image64
    maxoxam41posted 10 years ago

Or is it laziness when it comes to hunt for information?

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Being an artist with a clairvoyance ability, it's a good part of my life's work.
      What is laziness?, sound boring.

6. Zelkiiro profile image88
    Zelkiiroposted 9 years ago

Scientific illiteracy is a heinous crime against intelligence that serves as a reminder that post-birth abortions should be legal. So yeah, I'd say it's the bigger problem.

7. sabo27 profile image57
    sabo27posted 9 years ago

I think sex is like anything driving cars, work,

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)