ASU won't give Barack Obama an honorary degree

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (29 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Leave it to McCain country!

Arizona State University has invited Barack Obama to give the university's commencement address, but decided he "has not achieved enough" to be awarded an honorary degree despite being the so-called leader of the free world and our first black president.

WTF? Is politics at play? Why would the university invite him in the first place?  ...Now I guess they are saying "they will consider him" after he finishes his presidency.  I think this all is clueless and insulting.  What do others think?

1. JamaGenee profile image78
      JamaGeneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think the more interesting (and funny) issue is that their own senator isn't giving the address.  I don't think President Obama will lose sleep over not getting an honorary degree from ASU.  After all, he IS the leader of the free world and our first biracial president - not to mention he gets to sleep with Michelle, and McCain doesn't.

2. countrywomen profile image60
      countrywomenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The core issue is honorary degree.

Now first of all coming to Degree Mr Obama has Law Degree from one of the best schools in the world (in fact in any Top 10 lists in the world Harvard would be there in Law/Business programs). Hence an ASU degree isn't something great to look forward to for a Harvard degree holder. Of course the flip side is that some folks may say even Mr Bush was a Harvard graduate(although for his MBA I strongly suspect it had more to do with his family connections unlike Mr Obama's personal achievements).

The second part is honorary and for a man as you rightly mentioned who is holding such a powerful office as the President of the US then does he need any more honor? In fact if they would have offered him the honorary degree and if Mr.Obama would have accepted it then it would be a honor for ASU to have Obama as holder of that degree instead of Mr. Obama being honored by the degree. I usually have this analogy when Mahatma Gandhi who successfully led hundreds of millions to one of the most unique non violent (peaceful) revolution is denied the Noble Peace Prize then it is not Mahatma Gandhi's loss but the loss of the Noble Prize not to have one of his stature among there ranks.

Some folks may get added value from the award but there are others where the award gets value based on who holds it. And as the lawyers say I hereby rest my case smile

1. JamaGenee profile image78
        JamaGeneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good point, Countrywomen.  I also didn't realize Gandhi was denied the Peace Prize.  What were the Nobel people thinking???

3. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60
      VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 14 years agoin reply to this

First inviting for a honour and then refusing does not look good. It looks as if ASU has no moral value enough to honour a president. ASU seems to have degraded itself by refusing it. It would have been written in history books if ASU honoured him. Short-sights-- small hearts--

In our place in India, even an actor was awarded doctorate degree, which looked funny enough for school children. The University Grants Commission, governing body for universities had to get clarifications on this later.

Compared to this, the ASU has missed a golden chance to boost its image. Students from all over the world have flocked there, looking for admissions.

Electing a black President and honouring him with doctorate degree are not  small things.

2. RKHenry profile image62
    RKHenryposted 14 years ago

Screw'em!

3. imadork profile image72
    imadorkposted 14 years ago

Why should he get an honorary degree?  Did he go to that school?  No.  I think honorary degrees are dumb.  What's the point?

There are more important things to worry about and whether or not Obama gets a degree from ASU or Notre Dame are pretty low on that list.

1. profile image0
      jjrubioposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I think that is pretty lame

4. goldentoad profile image60
    goldentoadposted 14 years ago

I wish someone gave me an honorary degree

1. profile image0

I would give you one....in Herbology!!!

1. imadork profile image72
        imadorkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have a Master's in that one.

1. profile image0

you are too funny...LOL

5. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

I dont have a masters but i have hundreds of hours as a test subject..

6. profile image0

Arizona would not recognize Martin Luther King day until the state was boycotted. In 1992, it was finally allowed as a holiday.
    This was 9 years after it was officially a NATIONAL holiday.

But, yeah, WTF, right?  It's just symbolic.

Use herbs here and they make you wear a pink jump suit in prison for 10 years.  No lie.  Google Arpaio. 

Get it now?

lol  'Night.

7. Drum Master profile image57
    Drum Masterposted 14 years ago

Degrees are over rated.. Didn't he go to Harvard? that Arizona Degree wouldn't be worth using as extra TP

1. RKHenry profile image62
      RKHenryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep, President of his Senior Class at Harvard too.  Screw ASU!

8. profile image0

Yes, all, but it is a horrible slight, nonetheless.  And I live here.

I'm sure Obama will approach his upcoming commencement address at ASU with class, humor and dignity, as he always does, sans the honorary degree.  Of course an honorary degree is just that--an honor to the individual they have invited to speak to the students.

If I worked at ASU, I'd be ashamed.  If I worked in PR or public information there I'd really be questioning the ethics of my superiors.

I'm sure he will have plenty of teleprompters to keep him from going "aaahhh" and "eerrrr" too.

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Aaaaaaaah, eeeeer.  Oooooooh.  Obama hater.  Or just totally politically disenfranchised.  LOL.  I get it!  Well, I support your freedom of expression, I do!

wink

Thanks!  Cuz from what it looks like, you seem to be quite the Obama fan.  I expected the usual vehement berating from the Messiah worshippers.

1. profile image0

Berate, berate, berate.  Vehemently!

1. profile image0
              pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Careful, he dissolves into profanity when you back him into a corner. But then, that's what dogs do.

1. profile image0

It's OK.  I dig swear words when used properly, wink

9. profile image0

ASU now says it will rename a scholarship program for Obama.  Uhh.

They are sooo stupid. Even The Arizona Republic (which is ultra conservative) has columnists criticizing the university.  It is completely NON news for a commencement speaker to receive an honorary degree (it isn't about the 'specialness' of degrees--it's just standard operating procedure), it IS news for a university NOT to offer their commencement speaker, the sitting U.S. President an honorary degree.

Oh, well!  First our police kill Carol Gautbaum in their custody at Sky Harbor airport, now this.

10. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Well, didn't Tiger Woods run into problems with entry into certain golf clubs? tongue least it will be in the history books and actions do say a lot about the *hosts* wink tongue

11. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

What the hell is a Harvard Law graduate doing wasting his time at the state university in a backward red state?
    Seriously, I don't think the president of the United States should be spending time giving commencement addresses while he is in office. He has much more to do than play petty politics with ivory tower bureaucrats.
    Ridiculous (or as I have sometimes seen it spelled -- on here, even "rediculous").
    Maybe the Obamas should send Bo in their place. Oh, right, he's a black dog. Never mind.

12. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

On second thought, I take that back.

It's an insult to my dog.

13. software_guru profile image61
    software_guruposted 14 years ago

I don't even understand why he would need an honorary degree... The man is a fricking genius!  He doesn't need a lamo "honorary degree" to prove that.

14. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

I am sure Obama is not even worried about this snub.  We should follow his lead.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)