Elections do have consequences...

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (39 posts)
  1. jackclee lm profile image82
    jackclee lmposted 7 years ago

Lucky for the Syrian people, election do have consequences.
    This week, we saw the reversal of our foreign policy in dealing with Syria.
    The crisis in Syria has been going on for 6 years.
    I guess, Barack Obama was right after all. "Elections have consequences..."
    Our past policies lead to the death of thousands and millions of refugees...
    We sat silent while ateocities were committed by the Assad regime.
    The red line was crossed numerous times...
    The election of Trump changed all that. For better or worse, he acted decisively.
    It was Edmund Burke who said: “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing"...
    How true under the Obama Administration.

1. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That statement by Burke , seems  totally lost on liberals , liberal  teachings and liberal politicians .    I truly believe that  these liberals  will casually await the day terror , or war aggression's by other nations arrive at our  US. borders before blaming  the" leaders "of BOTH ideologies  for the very fact that it DID !

I say , Better in another country than our own

2. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 7 years agoin reply to this

So you accept the "America First" foreign policy platform Trump ran on was misguided then?

jackclee lmposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Not really. You can have both. America first is more of an economic policy that put trade and jobs and borders ... you can still be for good government and defend human rights around the world and stop tyrants...

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Does not the amount of resources, whether monetary or lives, spent playing policeman of the world have a large effect on our economy?

Yes and no. Would you rather spent a little up front to prevent and deter tyrants and stop terrorists, or pay the price later of funding 100 thousand refugees...? Or worse suffer a terrorist attack on the order of 9/11 ?

Well, we just spent 60 million, and didn't accomplish slowing down terrorism at all.  For that 60M, we got nothing in return; no roads, no cars, no refrigerators - it vanished into a black hole, but a hole we continue to fill with money produced by our economy.

I'm also a little curious as to the price later of funding 100,000 refugees; that hardly fits with Trumps "America First", and in addition it seems rather presumptuous that we have to fund even one.  Much like assuming we are responsible for making the world into another copy of our own culture - something I at least would argue against.

Under Obama, didn't we accepted 10,000 refugees from Syria and Hilliary Clinton promised more if she was elected President? How soon we forget?

The Syrian refugee crisis was our doing. The fall of Libya was our doing. Benghazi was our mistake.
                The rise of ISIS was caused partly by our early withdraw from Iraq...

The last 8 years has been one crisis after another.

North Korea and Iran...terrorist acts around the world and domestic...

Elections do have consequences and we are seeing how they play out.
                With each day, Trump is demonstrating how to conduct ourselves effectively while Obama's legacy is drifting into obscurity.

No, the refugee crisis was not our doing.  Nor the fall of Libya.  Nor was the rise of ISIS our fault, unless you count playing policeman as causal to ISIS.

While I can support taking action against chemical warfare, I do not see us as the world's policeman.  We do NOT have a "duty" to police the world, and we do not have a "duty" to turn our country over to refugees.

You are not connecting the dots. How did the refugee crisis occur? If not because of the rise of ISIS, and who allow ISIS to flourish? What did Benghazi have to do with all this you ask? The administration with the CIA, were trying to funnel weapons to the rebels in Syria against our laws... The lie created about the video was trying to distract and dis information about why the Ambassador was there in the first place...

I agree we don't want to be the world's policeman but unfortunately, sometimes we are the only one that can do it. If not us, then who? When there is a vacuum of power, someone else will fill it. That is exactly what happened in Iraq, when Obama pulled all our troops out. Isis and Iran took over and now we are going to go back to root them out...

How did the lead from behind policy of Obama help in all these situations? Iran, North Korea, Syria, Libya, Russia and China...

2. rhamson profile image70
              rhamsonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You can't fix the middle east until you include the cultural and religious interests of the people living there. The West in 1916 secretly split up the region according to the spoils of winning the war against the Ottoman Empire. The secretive Sykes-Picot agreement between the French and British was always being worked on since 1914 before the war ended. "The agreement largely neglected to allow for the future growth of Arab nationalism," 1 With that very detail omitted from the agreement set in action with the Balfour Declaration basically establishing Israel in 1917. "His Majesty's government view with favour the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people, and will use their best endeavours to facilitate the achievement of this object, it being clearly understood that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine, or the rights and political status enjoyed by Jews in any other country." 2.

We set this all in motion while traipsing all over the people living in the region. Where is it that Israel has adhered to the agreement whereby " it being clearly understood that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine"?

So is extinguishing the problem we created over 100 years ago something we can do by still ignoring the source of contention and bombing the hell out of them and installing these dictators to fix it?

1. http://www.history.com/this-day-in-hist … -agreement
              2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balfour_Declaration

Thanks for the history lesson. I agree part of the problem is the results of actions of the colonial states in the past. That by itself is no excuse. You can point to other regions like China and India where similiar events have taken place. They have moved on and joined the civilized society. In the middle east, it is a different story. I don't know if there is an answer or what that may entail, but I do know this. ISIS cannot be justified in any form. They need to be confronted and iradicated. Other local conflicts can be left to the individual states, as in Syria but again within bounds. Unsing illegal chemical weapons is out of that bound and must be dealt with by the International community.

1. rhamson profile image70
                  rhamsonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Really. Have we forgotten Pearl Harbor where we were invaded by another country? There are still deep feelings about the Japanese from this. How about China who were occupied by the Japanese? Of course we have the 911 attack in New York which still burns strongly in the ones left.

Just get past something that lives in your face everyday is pretty cavalier in my estimation. The Arab States that were formed by the British cut across all cultural and religious sectors of the region. It placed people who were not acclimated to each other within their own communities. Then you have the US installing dictators like the Shah and Hussein in brutal regimes we wholeheartedly supported.with money and arms. You see the problem is that we do not learn from history so maybe we have to hear it some more.

You are cherry picking. There are plenty of successes. How about Germany after divided for 50 years were reunited into one. We are trading with Japan after a horrific war with use of nuclear bombs. China and Japan are not friends but they are trade partners even after the atrocities committed by Japanese soldiers in Nanking. I feel like you ar making excuses why things are not better in the middle east. It is not our fault regardless what happen in the past. We are trying to stabilize the situation and even went to war in Iraq trying to change the status quo. We intervened in the former Yugoslavia and they are peaceful now. Even Vietnam is better today after we intervened and failed in a war. How did those people survive, regrouped and thrived?

3. Jean Bakula profile image91
      Jean Bakulaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Obama wanted to bomb when the red line was crossed. He tried to do it the LEGAL way, by going through Congress, the way it's supposed to be done. Of course, the Rs wouldn't allow it. Trump broke the law, and also lied to his voters, as he was pursuing a sort of isolationist policy to put America first.  How do all these hypocrites live with themselves?

I probably would have done the same thing, but now we may be a lot more involved in Syria than we wanted to be. Congress is pretty much dysfunctional.

That is what he said he wanted. He did not want to act when the red line was crossed.
        He used congress as a shield. If you read the wording of his appeal to Congress, it is a very limited scope. He basically used Congress to tie his hands so he could claim, I wanted to do it, but Congress won't let me... excuse
        The prove is this...
        He did many other things without Congress or the Courts with executive actions.

My personal assessment of President Obama is he was indecisive and weak as a leader. It is the same pattern when he was serving in the State legislature by voting "present" in many proposed bills.

As president, he chose to "lead from behind". It did not work too well. Many of our allies didn't trust in his leadership. The world became a more dangerous place in the last 8 years. Can anyone deny that statement?

2. profile image0

Don't forget part of blame diplomacy is a lame duck president "asking " congress to allow  a  military retaliation  KNOWING they will refuse , why ? So the problem  and the blame for that problem doesn't have to be his to own .  I agree with you  about congress being lame , weak and unproductive.

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years ago

Jean:  And those who forget these facts seem to be the very ones railing against "fake news".  How inconvenient facts are when you don't like them.

That would be the "fake news" that congress must vote on all military actions?

There are often times when the military must take immediate action, and Congress is incapable of doing anything in less than weeks, thus the President's ability to take limited action without approval.

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
        Jean Bakulaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Wilderness,
        I agree that if we waited for Congress to do anything, nothing would get done. It's emotional when we see dictators gassing their own people. But I'm not sure we can keep getting involved in everyone's business either. And it's been discussed whether to take Assad out, but when we do stuff like that, there is often someone crazier to take their place.

I absolutely HATE that we see ourselves as the policeman of the world.  I also recognize that gassing civilians (or soldiers) requires a little more than a police action, and I don't object to what he did - I think it was very nearly the perfect response.  An overwhelming barrage of missiles, without putting our soldiers in danger, to the location the gas came from.  An excellent choice, IMO.

Can't see a reason to take Assad out, though - not only would it displease the Russians enormously, but we see what taking Saddam out did for the area.  He, too, gassed his own people (I think - at a minimum he tried genocide as a solution), but now that he's gone they've probably killed more of their own people there than he did.

1. profile image0

Good points , excellent post.

3. jackclee lm profile image82
    jackclee lmposted 7 years ago

Here is the article in NYT back in 2013-
    It seems even Democrats was not on board at Obama's proposal back then...
    Hence nothing was done.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/01/world … syria.html
    That is the fact, not fake news.

4. profile image51
    Gilbert Santosposted 7 years ago

No comment

5. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

OH WOW , no comment !  Going back to Thomas Jefferson  who had a very outspoken opine of everything politcal , resembling , by the way, ..... Trump !...................let's see , that is where every liberal from  Whoopi to   Juimmy Carter fails every single time ...................."No comment "  Like a non- opinion actually wins the Cuppie doll.?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)