jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Winners

1. gmwilliams profile image87
    gmwilliamsposted 6 weeks ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12703944.jpg
    Does American culture & society idolize, even deify winners?  Are winners better & more respected than the rest of us?

1. kenneth avery profile image86
      kenneth averyposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

@gm,
      Good question. My thinking is: not as much "us" who make up America, but the powerful press--TV, radio, newspaper, online news outlets, love them. Just ask Michael Jordan; Bret Favre and the list goes on.

2. paradigmsearch profile image94
      paradigmsearchposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

Yes. Yes and yes.

2. Marisa Wright profile image99
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 weeks ago

I think this is human nature in action, human beings are competitive - it's how we've managed to evolve to the level we are.  I wish it were not so.

3. poppyr profile image100
    poppyrposted 6 weeks ago

I'm British, and in our culture we tend to cheer for the "underdog", taking pride that it's contrary to American culture where always winning is important. However, I don't think everyone in the US believes that only winners are important.

4. TessSchlesinger profile image95
    TessSchlesingerposted 6 weeks ago

Absolutely. The entire culture revolves around the concept that everybody and anybody can be a winner. Of course, that's not true. For every winner, there has to be dozens, or hundreds, or millions of losers. That's where the concept of being a loser comes from. Right now, there are some pretty awesome losers in America - like Harvey  Weinstein and Bill O'Reilly.

5. Rupert Taylor profile image100
    Rupert Taylorposted 6 weeks ago

This doesn't belong in this forum, which is about HubPages and HubPage related issues. Here is the place for getting help from the HP community on technical or quality topics.

1. theraggededge profile image100
      theraggededgeposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this
      1. Oztinato profile image81
        Oztinatoposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

Are you a hubpages moderator or just a concerned citizen?

2. EricDockett profile image100
      EricDockettposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

This seems to be happening left and right lately.I remember when all the forums where one and you'd have to wade through political and religious arguments to find HP and writing-related discussions. HP mercifully divided them a few years ago, but now we seem to be back to square one with piles of off-topic posts, games and personal issues.

6. Don Bobbitt profile image95
    Don Bobbittposted 6 weeks ago

To your question, I have to say NO! The problem is, from my perspective, that our press rarely carries any substantial stories about the average person, who is just living a good life. They prefer to put a quick spin on the winners, give them their 15 minutes of fame, and then they move on to the next "winner".
    DON

working