Obamacheney

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (51 posts)
  1. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 15 years ago

So, both President Obama and former Vice President Cheney gave significant speeches on national security, Guantanamo, and interrogation methods. Taken together, these two speeches gave a good picture of the balance of views on these important issues.

Did anyone catch them both, and what did you think?

1. nicomp profile image60
      nicompposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Mr. Obama continues to reveal his duplicity by allowing the military tribunals for terror detainees to continue. During his campaign he called the tribunals an "enormous failure" and a "legal black hole."

1. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image59
        VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Did Mr.Obama promise to dismantle military tribunals in election speeches?  He said "enormous failure" only. Why not he try to correct its failures?
        Will any government dismantle military tribunals and let free terror detainees? Not even in dreamworld.

Let us hope the prisoners remain in Gitmo. Bringing any of them to the mainland puts American Citizens' lives at risk.

2. tksensei profile image60

Politicians are politicians after all

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

Why is Cheney even giving a speech on this? He is not in government any more.

I'm assuming Obama studied it and talked to experts about it before changing his mind. If he had done the opposite you would have also criticized him.

Not only are you a writer, you are also a mind reader? wink

2. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Amen, Uninvited.  Why does EVERYTHING have to be set at a Hegelian dialectic?...it becomes so annoying especially with people just producing conservative/libertarian/or whatever partisan questions or 2 to 3 line sound bytes.

It was my understanding that Obama was drawing praise from some Republicans for his decisions on this issue.  Oh, but not here... And it would be very sad, indeed, if our mainland prisons were not set up for average criminals such as the ones they are thinking about importing...  What, have we got Hannibal Lecter here, or what? lol.

Just--I'm curious:  Has anybody ever heard of getting more information on an issue or a problem and then changing course or making revisions on how to handle something?  Oh, like at work, or on a project or something? 

Neither here nor there...  But do people really think politics is about shouting at each other like the Hatfield's and McCoy's?  Maybe they discuss or give viewpoints that have a little more depth and breadth?

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I just hope they speed up the trials though.

5. profile image57
    mktol1984posted 15 years ago

I did not have a chance to watch the speeches about the Gitmo  detainees but i do have something to say first Dick Cheney is defending his administraions polices much more now then he ever did as vice president. Second the people we have locked up deserve a far day in court lets hope we are capable of giving them one and another view point is this idea that if we move the detainees into mainland America it will somehow make us less safe is really showing a serious lack of faith we have in our military like just because they are here they going to get out and run wild. As a former member of the military i ask to please have faith in us that we can keep an eye on a person is wearing a bright orange jumpsuit and is spending most of there time in a confined space

tksenseiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You are a former member of what military?

6. apeksha profile image67
    apekshaposted 15 years ago

I am Indian I cant say anything...but hope he should try to work on recession happened because of US banking  and affected in Indian software...so hoping he will make better sense...
    He is young politician is the best thing for all...
    smile

Why is that best?

1. apeksha profile image67
        apekshaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

To rule nation its necessary...Old man cant stand ..how he can rule nation...

FDR couldn't stand

FDR?????????

7. profile image57

The united states military Marine corps

8. tksensei profile image60

Ok, already some friends of mine who have served in the Marines don't believe you. But tell me, what is your native language?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Why do you always have to attack someone when they disagree with you?

I disagree with someone when I disagree with them. That's how it works. I have had friends who have been in the Marines look over the comments of that poster and they tell me they are suspect. The composition of his posts suggest he is not a native speaker of English. Hence, my comments.

9. profile image57

Well i could care less what your friends think i served in the united states marine corp 4 yrs my native language is english i was born in the united states

10. profile image57

2nd mar div 2nd AA Bn. Camp Lejune N.C. and once again if you decide to make up an insult about my spelling or grammer you can go fuck your self I type with out thought or concern for how it sounds no need to its just a forum

11. profile image57

Because he is a conservative and if there is one thing i have learned about dealing with consveratives is that they all are <snipped personal attack> and attack people that they disagree with

Well, look at that! All conservatives are assholes, are they? How could I have been so unfair to such a reasonable interlocutor?

12. Uninvited Writer profile image79

You can disagree...that was not my point...

And you know what, I don't believe you had your friends who are Marines look over his posts...

13. profile image57

well if there friends of yours then chances are they agree with your views and wouldn't believe that i served in the marine corp because god forbid a liberal would join the military it is an insult to for you to assume that i did not serve my country but then again you wouldn't care about a soldier sailor or marine that disagrees with your views would you

They don't believe you because of specific words and phrases you have used. I question whether you are a native English speaker for obvious reasons.

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The structure of his grammar suggests he IS a native English speaker, sorry, TK...

I disagree

14. profile image57

I dont have to be fair all i have to do is express my views and my view is all conservatives are assholes i haven't met a conservative that i liked

Well, that's about all there is to know about you then.

2. nicomp profile image60

What about the liberal mantra?

Tolerance
      Tolerance
      Tolerance

It's a big tent! There's room for everyone.

15. profile image57

Well be specific what were the words and phrases and honestly tell me what is soooo fucked up about what i am writeing i dont think you have any specific reasons i think your just being yourself which sadly means that <snipped personal attack>

16. Uninvited Writer profile image79

FDR - Franklin D. Roosevelt

I agree...a rather pathetic comeback and poor attempt at argument. I'm put in mind of the Monty Python sketch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3HaRFBSq9k

Oh! thanks mam..
      I am Indian how come I know these short forms...so asked..thanks for telling me...

I agree that trying to claim only a young physically fit man can be an effective leader is a very poor argument.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I actually agree with that. FDR probably would not have been elected in the first place if people had known the extent of his mobility problems, same with JFK.

But, just countering what people say and criticizing their use of English doesn't get you anywhere.

JFK was legitimately injured in combat during WW2, don't you think the voters could overlook that?

He actually wasn't wheelchair bound when he was elected in the first place.

3. tksensei profile image60

Responding to what people say doesn't get you anywhere? Do you suggest telepathy or something?

1. earnestshub profile image80
            earnestshubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It would seem that English is not your native language tksensei, You have misunderstood the word "countering" used in this context.

17. tksensei profile image60

Countering isn't a form of response? Nice try (not really).

Yes it is a particular type of response used in this the context originally referred to it would mean contra or against.
      Contrary, in opposition; in an opposite direction.
      "Running counter to all the rules of virtue."

Thank you.

18. goldentoad profile image61
    goldentoadposted 15 years ago

This is where the action is at? Anyone take off their clothes yet? I'm ready to get naked!

Too cold where I am GT

1. goldentoad profile image61
        goldentoadposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It was 90 in my hood, well almost but its very pleasant right now, roughly 72. I would have sat around in my front yard in my boxers if I didn't have to go to work.

I am 1pm here, early arvo, Melbourne winter,about 17C. Coolish.

1. goldentoad profile image61
            goldentoadposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, that's not too bad, gets that way at night. I put on a pair of socks with my boxers.

19. tksensei profile image60

That's ridiculous. Dogs don't wear socks.

Of course not. They don't have thumbs to pull them over their feet.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)