Soccer field at Gitmo

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (55 posts)
  1. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 12 years ago

$740,000 of taxpayer money to build a soccer field for the prisoners at Gitmo!  Guess Obama is counting on getting their votes!
    How many homeless children could that feed clothe and shelter?  Why is Obama spending our hard earned money on people that want to kill us?  Those prisoners live better and are fed better than millions of Americans.  Where is the sense in that?
    What kind of morons would even consider approving that?

1. Josak profile image59
      Josakposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Uhhh because potential criminals still deserve to be treated with dignity?

In July 2005, 242 detainees were moved out of Guantanamo, including 173 that were released without charge, and 69 transferred to the governments of other countries, according to the U.S. Department of Defense. (for example)

These are not even convicted criminals that means they are presumed innocent, so what you are saying is why should we spend money providing exersize facilities for innocent people being held in detention? Uh because it's humane? it's less than most prisons have and those are for guilty convicted me, it really is a no brainer.

1. profile image60
        logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So they deserve a $740,000 soccer field?
        These guys want to KILL us!  That's why they are at Gitmo to begin with!  Is that humane? You are right it is a NO brainer!

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
          couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Seriously. It's disgusting. Yes, let them get some exercise and play in a field like they did when they were kids. I want my $740,000. back damit. This shit's really starting to piss me off.

1. lovemychris profile image76
            lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Join the club. Ive been angry since 9/11.

And the money NEVER stops going to those perps.

2. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Most US prisons have a $740,000 soccer field? I didn't know that. I'll have to do some research. I think the money could have been better spent on feeding hungry Americans. PLUS - there were already 2 recreation facilities at Gitmo, so now the detainees have three.

Wow! Only 10 of the prisons in Florida have air conditioning!

1. profile image0
          Peelander Gallyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Those prisoners are being held on the basis of due process, though. Indefinite detention with no due process is not something that should exist in the advanced world, and I don't know why Obama has continued to support it, though the government may know lots of terrifying things of which they keep us blissfully unaware. It's possible that it's been deemed a necessity to keep the place open, but that they're completely reforming it to be less of a torture dungeon.

Also, this reminds me of the Solyndra scandal. What happened with that company sucks, but the government gave them $535 million (plus another $25 million from the state of California) in loans based on excellent revenue outlooks. It ended up being a terrible investment and a waste of money, but people blew it completely out of proportion. It'd make a lot more sense to whine about the $845 *billion* we've wasted in Iraq. The total cost of that clusterf** to our economy is estimated at $3 *trillion*.

But I guess that's Obama's fault, according to a lot of people.

1. habee profile image93

I don't approve of torture, including waterboarding. We wasted money in Iraq. I don't think Obama would leave Gitmo open after promising to close it unless he was sure the "detainees" were a real threat. I believe the detainees and prisoners in the US should have access to some form of recreation and exercise, but $740,000 is a bit excessive - especially when so many completely innocent people in our own country are suffering.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
              rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's Congress that wants it to stay open.
              I have read that Gitmo is the most expensive prison anywhere. It doesn't make sense, does it? Everything has to be shipped in, so you have additional expense. This is an older article about the cost of maintaining the prison. There hasn't been a new captive since 2008.
              http://ht.ly/7nqDn

It costs $800,000 a year to keep one detainee. neutral

And I'm watching Congress today....Lieberman and McCain are pushing for military action in Syria.....and military action in Iran....they slip right on by the radar.

3. Evan G Rogers profile image60
        Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Damn, I could build a soccer field for $100! Why didn't they ask me!?

2. lovemychris profile image76

I think it's a humane and smart idea.
      Locking people up is a mental disease...and it creates mental reactions.
      Anything to blow off steam is a good idea. And these prisoners are still people, though you would probably like me to think of them as "savages", like Sarah Palin.

BTW--since you are on the outrage wagon, we send Israel 8 mil a day...that could feed and shelter a lot of Americans too.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60

I could build a soccer field EASILY for under $1000.

2. profile image60

They want to KILL us!  Call them whatever you want, they are the enemy and if we faced them on the battlefield we would kill them or they would kill us, not build us a damn soccer field!

1. Josak profile image59

You now you really have to change your username... The majority are, in the eyes of the law innocent, and must be treated as such.
          Those that are convicted should be treated as criminals, with caution and security but humanely. That is how civilized society works, I'm sorry you can't understand that.

I think what logic is saying is that they want to kill us and likely would go back to their loyalty to their side if released. He's not saying don't be humane, he's saying don't build them a soccer field. And contrary to what the law says, in the U.S. you're guilty until proven innocent. After paying your attorney with all of your $25,000. middle class income. Think about that. How many people are in Gitmo? Divide that into $740,000 and you've got their annual U.S. tax free income.

Who put them there in the first place?

The past decade has been a human rights NIGHTMARE, and we are right up there with the best of them.

Any thing that adds to humane, GODLY behavior is a big plus.

2. John Holden profile image60
              John Holdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But what about, for instance, the British people released from Gitmo into British government care and immediately freed because there was not a shred of evidence against them?

And why if you all are so sure of their guilt why do they have to be held off American soil where your laws don't protect them?

We have different ideas on who the enemy is. You cheer and defend the ones I consider enemies....so you have no moral high-ground, nor any real complaint.

Much more of our tax monies go to my enemies than yours.

2. Charles James profile image66
    Charles Jamesposted 12 years ago

What price sports field would you think appropriate?

1. profile image60

Solitary confinement would be appropriate at a minimum for someone that is trying to kill me.
      Or we should just turn them loose and Obama could send drones after them.  Less messy.  Requires no conscience and since he doesn't have a political one anyway, it should work out.

1. Josak profile image59

So according to you anyone who is arrested should just be treated as guilty based on assumption, have you heard of the right to presumption of innocence, it's the foundation of our legal system, your statements violate every safeguard that the legal system has specifically to protect people from false conviction and human right's abuse, most of the detainees are awaiting trial which means BY LAW they are innocent until proven guilty thus they are all presumed innocent and deserve rights while pending trial. The reason it costs so much is everything has to be shipped in from the US rather than through Cuba and all the workers have to be transferred from the US and accommodated while working on the construction, furthermore in such a tight security prison the construction can not be haphazard it's specifically constructed so no weapons can be made out of it etc. also I am not sure but it's possible the security perimeter has to be extended.

That's the American way. In case you haven't heard, the foundation of our legal system is MIA.

Here's an idea. Put up a 12' electric chain link fence on the outside and another non-electric on the inside of a soccer size field. Field done. It's not that I'm against humane exercise for prisoners. I believe it can only help their mental state and outlook. I'm against government extravagance. We've all heard stories about paying $100 for a lightbulb. They're true. A friend of mine who owns an auto body shop used to get paid $200. per box to spray paint footlockers when such things were in use. (Don't know if they still are). And that was 1979.

Your America, not mine.

2. Josak profile image59

You're comment is so incorrect it's frightening, firstly I bet you don't have the smallest idea what a perimeter for some of the worlds most wanted men costs, fences 4 layers of, multiple guard towers, flattened and cleared areas all around to allow a line of sight not to mention the wages, the shipping of all this equipment etc. the price to me is really unsurprising.

More importantly NO go read criminal law right now, presumption of innocence is the foundation of our legal system which means anyone not convicted should be treated as innocent except in areas otherwise mandated by a judge (such as detention in the first place.)

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60

You have no evidence that they were trying to kill you!!

That's hilarious, isn't it? You condemned those people without a trial!!

HAHAHHAHAHHhahahaahahh!!! They'll never see their families again, even though they might be innocent!!!

aahahahahahah!!!

2. couturepopcafe profile image60

Charles - IMO, $0. is appropriate. The less the better. No high tech field. Just a field. Here's an idea. Let them play in an open field. Anyone who tries to escape, shoot them. It's just an idea. One that probably wouldn't work.

1. John Holden profile image60

Shoot them! That's a good idea, save on the embarrassing questions wouldn't it?

3. moiragallaga profile image77
    moiragallagaposted 12 years ago

$740,000 for a soccer field? For me the beauty of soccer is that it is a simple game where all you need is some open space to play in. How much will it cost to mark out a field and set up a pair of goals at each end?

1. habee profile image93

I was wondering the same thing.

2. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"How much will it cost to mark out a field and set up a pair of goals at each end?"  $740,000 apparently.

4. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

"Today, the US government spent $1 million dollars building an ant hill. The love-filled Liberals responded by saying that 'inmates deserve to be treated humanely, and ants are totally humane'. However, the hate-filled conservatives responded by saying 'those derned terr'ists should be killed instead of lookin' at ants!!!'."

"The logic-filled libertarians simply asked 'wow, I thought ants worked for free', to which liberals demanded that, clearly, libertarians love slave labor."

1. Josak profile image59

Eh I smiled you usually do better. I am not sure any of us are truly knowledgeable on what is required to build a new soccer field in a super super max prison, one would imagine more guards for the construction, an extension of the security perimeter which means hundreds if not thousands of meters of wire, guard towers not to mention the regular things like the stands, flattening the field and the wages of the vetted workers brought in from the US I assume you meant that you expected the prisoners to build the field, but unfortunately in a prison with that level of security requirement its not really feasible.

Besides it's not somuch the cost that I am supporting, I don't know enough to say whether it's exessive or not, what I do object to is this idea that everyone who is a gitmo even the majority which are unconvicted and the many who will be released without charge are all horrible terrorists and thus should be treated like animals, you either have a due process and a presumption of innocence or you have an inferior legal system, that should actually be in line with your beliefs as a libertarian.

Every soccer field I've ever seen:

Bulldoze a flat space of land (if needed).
        Put grass on it (if needed)
        One bottle of spray paint every few months.
        Two goals.
        A ball.

If that costs over 1000, then ... I guess inflation really is taking hold.

1. profile image0

This is such a ridiculous argument; you're not taking into account the transportation of the equipment and materials required, how many workers that involves and the aforementioned logistics and increased security required to accomplish such a thing at a supermax detention facility. Why don't you find out how much it would cost you to plow up, fertilise and sod an area the size of a regulation soccer field right now? That alone would obviously cost over $1K. Also, what lovemychris said below.

Oh, my bad. I guess shipping over a goal, some grass, and a few shovels would probably double the cost.

Ok, OK.... give me $10k, and I - alone - will have it done in a month. Easily.

PS- we're here to discuss a ONE MILLION DOLLAR SOCCER FIELD, not Israel.

10k, three months - done.

1. Charles James profile image66
                Charles Jamesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Might be cheaper to ship them a different kind of grass.

2. couturepopcafe profile image60

Josak - They're not treated like animals. Well, except for the cages. wink They get superior food according to their religious determinants, religious books by demand, and secure and comfortable bedding. A little waterboarding and juvenile name calling which was exacerbated by media was not the American way. At least not the American citizen way. How naive some people remain about the workings of the U.S. government. Well, look at it this way. At least we're not sawing their heads off on international television. And that's no joke.

5. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

We're sending 8 mil a day to Israel.

1. profile image60

Still doesn't justify spending $740,000 of taxpayer money to build a soccer field for terrorists.

But you say nothing of sending 8 mil to other terrorists. Every day.

You think Israeli's are terrorists? Why? And yes, sending money to Israel pisses me off, too but I don't think they're any more terrorist than anyone else, like Palistine.

ahahaha! just clicked here...

http://www.rense.com/

6. Charles James profile image66
    Charles Jamesposted 12 years ago

This would not be American defence contractors ripping off the American taxpayer again would it?

Most definitely it would.

Too bad Obama can't stand up against these people. I guess he's just a spineless loser.

Maybe he values his life, and those of his wife and children.

Another president intimidated and controlled by the mob?

1. John Holden profile image60

Finally admits to big business being the mob!

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good point!

7. profile image35
    independentmindedposted 12 years ago

How stupid can one get?  The fact that there's a soccer field in Gitmo means that the Obama Administration and Congress just want Gitmo to stay open.. indefinitely.  How can so many people miss that?

1. profile image0

Actually I commented about that before.. Indefinite detention is a disturbing concept to be sure, but I guess paying for the soccer field is the really offensive bit.

8. Hugh Williamson profile image74
    Hugh Williamsonposted 12 years ago

The money blown on the soccer field isn't prisoner coddling or just for show. It's how the system works. In gov't when money is allocated, it must be spent or else less will be allocated for that item in the next cycle.

You can be sure the soccer field was just a handy sinkhole to use up some money and thus protect next year's funding approval against any reduction.

That's how government works -- you are rewarded for spending money, not saving it. Any mid level gov't bureaucrat can tell you that you ask for twice the funding that you need, and, if you get lucky and get extra monies allocated, bury the largess quickly in, say, a soccer field.

9. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

Rosanne put that link up on twitter. Here was a response:

@TheRealRoseanne so you hate Butch i guess...theres a bigot. or possibly you. A bigot against the Israel and the Jews.

Rosanne: 2 b clear: I believe that Israel has the right 2 exist-but BIBI and right wing warnongering is the way to kill it. thanks for ur time!

http://www.roytov.com/articles/popularresistance.htm

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)