Gas

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 63 discussions (149 posts)
  1. spiderpam profile image71
    spiderpamposted 15 years ago

Gas Prices are back on the rise, around $2.59 here in the AZ. Who's to blame? How much is gas in your neck of the woods?

1. tksensei profile image60
      tksenseiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Depends on what's for dinner.

spiderpamposted 15 years agoin reply to this

smile

2. nicomp profile image61
      nicompposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well, Bush was blamed when prices shot up during his administration. Logically then...

1. Misha profile image65
        Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LOL It's not gonna happen. smile Those same people who tend to blame gas prices movement on anything but market forces tend to be a heavy democratic bunch, too smile

3. countrywomen profile image61
      countrywomenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

We check Gasbuddy.com for lowest prices. Right now it is around $2.70 at our place. smile

4. usmanali81 profile image60
      usmanali81posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Freemasons and Zionists

5. Laughing Mom profile image60
      Laughing Momposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Went down 2 cents today, for the not so reasonable low price of $2.47.  And that's just for the regular stuff.  Almost $3 for diesel.  My truck is only getting about 20 mpg right now, which means I'm putting gas in about every other day. Ridiculous!

6. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 15 years agoin reply to this

About 2.89 in the CA foothills up about 30-40c in the past three months.

2. dipless profile image68
    diplessposted 15 years ago

Hi Gas in London U.K. is about £1.03 which is pretty darn high! For us it is Tax and duty on fuel which just keeps on bumping it up.

1. Amanda Severn profile image95
      Amanda Severnposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That's per litre. In the States I think they use gallons which are not quite four times the volume.

3. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 15 years ago

We're up to $2.79. Last weekend we hit $2.95.

Goodness that's high, I fear we'll be there soon enough.

4. dipless profile image68

They do indeed which means in Uk we are paying £4.68 per gallon or $7.49 per gallon which is rediculous money! Think we need another fuel strike smile

The last one caused a few ripples for sure.

1. ngureco profile image79
        ngurecoposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Maths?

1 US gallon = 3.79 litres
        1 Imperial gallon = 4.55 litres

2. frogdropping profile image76
      frogdroppingposted 15 years agoin reply to this

And that is why it's called Rip Off Britain wink

It's ok for you Froggy. We're still here!

3. RKHenry profile image65
      RKHenryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

OMG!  Who can afford to drive?  That is crazy. 

It is my personal opinion that the only reason why gas is up, is because it's summer.

5. dipless profile image68

I recon so, I am not really sure though if i am for or against them I think somthing has to be done about it because it is crippling certain businesses in the UK.

6. Ms Chievous profile image68
    Ms Chievousposted 15 years ago

2.75 around these parts.. at least that is what is was this morning!  Who knows what it will be after work!

7. dipless profile image68

sorry did imperial Gallon not strange U.S. gallon wink

1. profile image0
      dennisemattposted 15 years agoin reply to this

strange US gallon? ha ha
      last night, I was awake for hours trying to figure out why the US has different measures then anyone else...where did it come from? why wont it change? why do I have to learn milimeters when Ill never use one? I considered writing a hub about it, then figured everyone else already knows all this, or doesnt care. our gas is $2.67 per strange gallon. it costs me about $40 a week to fill my van up. it makes milk cost more too...I stay home ALOT

8. HealthCare Basics profile image61
    HealthCare Basicsposted 15 years ago

Her in San Diego we're paying $3.39 a gallon this morning. As summer moves on it only gets higher. We did max out last year at around $4.79 for several months.

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Crap! I waited to long to put 10 bucks in the tank. I missed by 39 cent window of opportunity.  Ugh.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I would kill for gas that cheap.  lol

9. Make  Money profile image67
    Make Moneyposted 15 years ago

About $.95 per litre here in Ontario, Canada which doesn't make much sense seeing Canada is the US's largest supplier of oil.

10. marisuewrites profile image59
    marisuewritesposted 15 years ago

People should agree to not drive one day a week or just drive to work, and cut the consumption, write on blogs why, etc.  Course, i don't even know if that would make a difference.  The oil companies got us by the you knows....smile

11. HealthCare Basics profile image61

I understand Mark. I do think here in the US we complain about gas because we use our vehicles so much for everyday travel. We do not have the infrastructure of mass transit like other parts of the world except in a few major cities.

My tank could get filled for $20.00 and lasts me about three weeks in normal travels. Now it is double that amount. For me, not hard to take, but for my friends who work outside the city proper the cost has tripled on a weekly basis.... smile

1. profile image0

you aint kiddin!  I think right now it is cheaper to put 10 bucks worth of gas in the tank and use it sparingly then it is to take one trip from downtown to east county.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

I can barely fill my car for three times that. I am paying 1.21 Euros per liter - and that is cheap. sad

3. BristolBoy profile image64
      BristolBoyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think the other problem seems to be the fixation of large parts of US society with gas guzzling SUVs which have a low mpg.  The US is also much more exposed to swings in oil prices affecting the cost of petrol and diesel.  Since such a large proportion of the price of fuel across Europe is tax and such little is the actual price of the oil, when the oil price increases in price it does so by a lesser percentage than in countries such as the US where there is much less taxation.

12. Sufidreamer profile image81
    Sufidreamerposted 15 years ago

Not far behind you - it hovers at around a Euro here. Mind you, at least public transport is cheap.

It is cheap here too. But stops at 8 o clock. After that - you are looking at mafia-run taxis. Not cheap. lol

1. Sufidreamer profile image81
        Sufidreamerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

We are OK on that score - about 11 Euros for a 20km journey, up to 15 Euros after midnight. One of the reasons that we have not bothered with a car - a couple of taxi journeys every week works out far cheaper. Plus, I can have a few beers!

13. spiderpam profile image71

Just got back from the gym $2.67 a gal. 8 cents jump in less than 24 hours.

It is god's will surely? And I notice you did not answer my question:

Why are you going against the word of god?

1. Maddie Ruud profile image71
        Maddie Ruudposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Mark, tsk tsk!  It looks suspiciously like you are following spiderpam around just to harrass her.

big_smile

He's not the Sensei, he's a very naughty boy.

http://z.hubpages.com/u/1268060_f520.jpg

1. profile image0

I think we need a thread for the best photo shopped images of our resident hubbers. big_smile

This one goes right up there with Misha in drag. big_smile and of course st. Mark and Misha. big_smile

2. usmanali81 profile image60

lol lol lol lol

14. HealthCare Basics profile image61

Mark and Sufidreamer,

I am lucky just to get a cab even when I call and place an order. If I lived in the city proper, you only have to wait on a corner and flag away, but outside that, you need to call for a cab. If I order a ride in advance when heading to the airport, I have had not problems. When I call for a cab to bar-hop, I just cross my fingers. We have a limited supply of cabbies and they tend to congregate around the airport and train station where the money comes quickly.

That is a problem - we tend to catch the bus to Sparta and take a taxi back - there is no shortage. Greeks take taxis for even relatively short distances - mainly due to the heat - so we are pretty well served smile

I may have to move to Greece.  A 5 mile taxi trip here is going to cost around 60 euros. And if you are coming from Monaco - ouch !

2. ledefensetech profile image67
        ledefensetechposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That just seems strange to me.  Catch a bus to Sparta.  It must be interesting seeing places like that every day, places I've just read about.  Gas here is hovering around 2.67 a gallon.  We live near some sort of distribution point so gas tends to be a bit cheaper here than the national average.  I'm still betting we're going above $5.00 a gallon here.  Next year will probably be worse.

Dennise, the US has different measurements because one time we had a falling out with the British, from whom we inherited most of our cultural baggage.  Now back when the falling out was still raw and new, kind of like breaking up with a boyfriend or girlfriend, the US blamed everything bad on the British.  Two head calf born?  British.  Storms ruined your entire harvest.  British.  Tavern out of beer.  The damn British. 

One of the other ways we tried to spite the British was to much up the language.  Rather than use the Oxford dictionary and the good King's English, we made changes.  Color instead of coulour for instance.  It sounded the same, but because we spelled it different it was ours.  We also changed, you guessed it, measurements.  So that's why imperial and US measurements are different in some respects.

1. Misha profile image65

LOL I think I found a point of disagreement with you, except for religion smile
          I would bet that we already saw the highest gas prices in our lifetime - last summer smile

1. ledefensetech profile image67

Ah, but did you factor in the costs of our President's, past and present, deficit spending?  Since 1913 the dollar has lost about 95% of its value.  Deficits have averaged about 10%-40% of the GDP.  The 40% figure was from WW II, we've never had deficit figures that high till last fall and especially this year.  When the value of your money falls, prices always go up.  What really scares me is how short we are on food production.  Several factors are combining to make famine a possibility around most of the world next year.  When you add out of control prices due to inflation, well you kinda get the pucker effect.

I wrote a bit about it here:  http://tinyurl.com/mrdjp8

15. profile image0
    ysdataposted 15 years ago

We are at $2.81 here in Delaware.  I just traveled to PA and the gas prices there were $2.94.

16. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 15 years ago

Anything under $3.00 a gallon looks cheap from here. In Australia we often pay over $1 US a litre.

17. curiozities profile image60
    curiozitiesposted 15 years ago

Last year when it went higher than $4 a gallon, Jay Leno made this joke:

I just doubled the value of my car.  I filled the gas tank!

1. LondonGirl profile image79
      LondonGirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I fell out of my cradle laughing at that one....

Yep, they should try filling up in Britain.

1. Misha profile image65

Frankly nobody to blame high  gas prices in Britain except for your government, that you elected in one of the most democratic ways. In other words, this is you ladies who decided that your gas taxes have to be several times its cost tongue

18. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Around $2.60 here. smile

19. spiderpam profile image71

Just got this update on US gas prices
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090617/ap_ … _prices_16

20. getpaidtopost profile image40
    getpaidtopostposted 15 years ago

Gas in the UK is taxed at 900% every £1 of fuel at the pumps equates to 10p fuel in the tank and 90p in the government pockets as tax. O well they do have two houses to maintain I think they are so unfortunate "NOT", Greedy Bast___ds Hate Government and am all for protest. I think all governments across the world are just as corrupt as each other. OK they do things differently in different countries however it all amounts to the same thing, they steel our hard earned money, OK I am not against tax and agree things cost money like bin men, police, fire, hospitals, schools, roads, and much more. so as you see tax is no problem for me, but when the tax is so high It real gets me MAD. Especially when I see council pay millions on a statue so they can stick it in the middle of a round-a-bout. When I paid my tax I did not agree for them to waist it on crap. People are starving, homeless, sick, urrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh ,hate them, hate them, hate them. Government Stinks, I think we will all laugh at them, when we pass the door of hell on the way to heaven I can just see blair bush and brown all shouting help us, help us I for one will laugh and wave at them saying have a nice eternity. Sorry for going on, they get me so mad.

21. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

I loved that film. lol

1. profile image0

Brian??? LOL

2. Amanda Severn profile image95

Me too!

22. spiderpam profile image71

Everyday when I look at gas Chervon is the highest. Is it better? Today the price is $2.73.

23. HealthCare Basics profile image61

spiderpam- Have no idea about gasoline quality. All I know is when there is gas in the car and I turn the key, it's ready to roll... smile I usually hit an Arco station if needed fuel. I tried one of those private stations twice and my car ran sluggish.

I use Arco also. Thx for the reply.

24. HealthCare Basics profile image61

Oh, by the way, gas went up again 4 cents since yesterday. I going for a fill today and wait it out for the next three weeks.. smile

Some of our friends live in the general area around us. I have convinced them when we go to the local watering hole to walk the 2.5 miles to and from for the exercise and safety. The plus is saving on fuel... smile

25. spiderpam profile image71

I heard something about speculators, how do they play a part?

26. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Governments always blame any price raise to speculators and take a credit on price decrease smile

Don't forget the evil arabs. I'm sorry "foreign oil dependence," big_smile

27. LondonGirl profile image79
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

Don't forget evil Chavez in Venesuala.

28. Sufidreamer profile image81
    Sufidreamerposted 15 years ago

.......or the Russians.

29. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL Yeah, evil Russians! smile

And the Freemasons - at least according to our resident muslimIST. big_smile

1. Misha profile image65

LOL, evil Russians usually blame Judeo-Masons tongue

And the judeo-masons blame the god-damned muslim-masons. Not that they exist you understand. Or at least - only in secret. smile

30. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 15 years ago

What do mason have to do with gas?  Nothing, masons are still riding horses and robbing graves upon their getaway camels.

Now we know the answer to the more serious question.  Where did the water go?

1. usmanali81 profile image60

Masons and Zionists have a lot to do with GAS, PATROL, DIESEL, GOLD, PLATINIUM AND DIMOND. Most of them are SADISTS. They love watching people screeming about GAS ... oh ... and the GAS is in their A...........
      For some historical facts http://hubpages.com/hub/FREEMASONS-IN-A-NUTSHELL

1. Misha profile image65

As Russian anti-semits put it:

If you don't have water in your tap,
        It's because judes drunk it all up lol

The same level of discussion, really smile

The Russians were absolutly RIGHT because if these Freemasons and Zionists start giving Zakat (Islamic Charity) per year then there will be no poor left behind. If water shortage, then all will be able to buy mineral water bottels. If Gas price hikes, all be be able to manage and buy the expensive gas.

Do you know the budget of 10 richest of the world is much greater than all the third world countries including some African countries where water shortage is severe and Madonna (Freemason) use to pick up babies from there for fulfilling her sexual desires. May be she use to share those childs with other fellow Masons.

1. countrywomen profile image61

Mr.Usman- This is really sick. Why do you make so many assumptions about people? Why do you tend to find evil/bad even in a seemingly noble deed like adoption? mad

I did'nt made any assumption for you, i usually make these assumptions on SADISTS like Madonna, Freemasons and Zionists.

Take the songs and interviews of Madonna which builds a strong connection with the following fact.

SEX IN MASONIC TEMPLE -- AND THE POMEGRANATE
              "The lodge is a representation of King Solomon's Temple and the Temple was calculated to symbolize the maternal human body, wherein the candidate must enter to be born again.  The uterus and vagina represent the porch of the Temple, the pillars of the porch represent the fallopian tubes, the network, the broad ligament with its accompanying blood vessels ... and the pomegranate, the ovary and its exuberant seeds, the ova cells." [Rollin C. Blackmer, The Lodge and the Craft: A Practical Explanation of the Work of Freemasonry, St. Louis, The Standard Masonic Publishing Company, 1923, p. 249; Emphasis added]

It is found highly pagan to realize the obsession Masons have about sex, when they depict it in so many of their symbols and even in their own Lodge.  Can you imagine a Mason thinking about entering a woman's vagina as he goes through the porch of the Masonic Temple?  Unbelievable!

1. earnestshub profile image79
                earnestshubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Entering the lodge may have that effect on some, but for most well adjusted folk, sex is a great part of life, but we are not obsessed by the"sin" side of it, and would find it a bit hard to Imagine a Masonic lodge in the way you suggest.

And let's face it - you don't get much more phallic than a minaret. lol

2. usmanali81 profile image60

I did not suggested rather it's a pure Freemasonic theme.

2. countrywomen profile image61

I am getting tired of explaining to you that it is not appropriate to make negative assumptions and then going ahead considering those assumptions as some sort of facts which align with your existing beliefs. I wish you well and hope you understand what I am trying to say. Have a good day. smile

Get their history and then you will come to realize about their evil plans http://hubpages.com/hub/FREEMASONS-IN-A-NUTSHELL

2. Misha profile image65

Sorry man, I had such kinds of discussions in kindergarten, and long outgrew them. Not interested...

31. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 15 years ago

My eggs were cold this morning, and my morning paper was wet!
    Bloody Masons!

32. HealthCare Basics profile image61

Oh Misha, you are the negative of the bunch here. I do not think we have seen the highest in gas prices here in the US yet. Remember, the Alaska deal has not been blessed as yet......

33. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL Since when not expecting exorbitant gas prices is negative?

34. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

So you are betting on inflation. Or even hyper-inflation. My bet is that before it comes (if its hyper part comes at all), we'll have a good period of deflation. smile

35. ledefensetech profile image67
    ledefensetechposted 15 years ago

The economy is trying to deflate, but the Fed is dead set against it.  Some of the papers I've been reading lately suggest that like the 70's we'll see inflation, but rather than things being stagnant we'll see a prolonged depression like the 1930's.  When you consider that things look like a mix of the Great Depression and stagflation, well those authors could have a point.

I'm also betting on price controls at some time in the future.  If that happens get ready for shortages, but I don't need to tell you that do I?  smile

1. profile image0

where you been?  There used to be this law called "floors and ceilings" but some stupid president or whomever it was decided that "less regulation" would be better.

Yeah Sandra, that President was Nixon.  First he cut us off from the gold standard for good, which allowed him to print all the money and create all the credit he wanted.  That's the inflation part of stagflation.  The stagnation part came from the fact that people could no longer plan for the future.  If you don't know how much your inventory is going to be worth next year, you don't invest in new production because if you do and you're wrong, you go out of business.  That's stagflation for you.  Do you really understand any of this stuff or do you just repeat what you hear from mass media?  Just so you know we got rid of the floors and ceilings because people were about to revolt over shortages.  Once those went away shortages disappeared. 

Wow Sandra, that's great for debtors, but creditors are screwed.  So if creditors can't be sure if they're going to be paid back, how will people get credit?  Have you ever tried to start a business?  I doubt it or you'd understand that you pretty much need credit to get the ball rolling.  Why would you put the UN in charge of anything.  Remember the oil for food fiasco?  Do you really think about any of this stuff at all?

Misha, the bubble has only been building for 30 years.  Yeah I know, only thirty years.  The burst bubble is stronger.  If the Fed tries to re-inflate it, another bubble will form somewhere else.  The original bubble was in the stock market (thanks Bill Clinton), then it moved over to housing in 2001 when the Fed slashed interest rates.  My best guess is that the next round of credit is going to inflate a commodities bubble.  Mostly because there is going to be pressure on commodities due to several other factors and all this liquidity has to go somewhere.  So when commodities start to rise, the excess liquidity is going to flood the commodities market.  Which will cause problems, like people not being able to afford food bad.

1. profile image0

Do you always start a conversation with that much sass?  Sorry oh might eco man!  I am just a regular person caught up in all your shady shenanigans. 

I don't give a shite about creditors!

1. Misha profile image65

LOL Sandy, I think you should smile

2. ledefensetech profile image67

I do when somebody talks about breaking their word.  Like it or not when you sign an agreement for a loan, you sign a contract.  Your contract is your word.  If you don't keep your word, what good are you?

Misha, do you mean the gas spike last year?  That spiked for specific reasons, some of which hold today, others which are new.  If you're talking about an inflationary economy, in the US that goes back to 1913 with the creation of the Fed.  We flirted with a central bank several times in the 1800's but we managed to get rid of it until 1913.

1. profile image0

Oh but it is okay when they break their end of the contract by adding things like a little bit of government interest and such.  Sure, I see how ya'll are.

A creditor can change the contract and ask for more but that doesn't void the contract right?  But if the debtor says 'f' you because you changed the contract and I am not paying for it, then the debtors is in the wrong, right?

Yeah, I still don't give a shite about creditors! big_smile

Don't get me wrong, creditors screw with contracts as much as debtors do.  Unfortunately that's what happens when you have things like Fair Credit Acts and things like that.  People then start writing contracts in such a way that circumvent those laws.  Also you do realize that unless you sign to a change in a contract it's not binding, right?  You're also free to make whatever changes you want to a contract.  The creditor might not agree, but in that case you have the choice to walk away.  If you don't keep your word, then society itself sooner or later crumble.

2. Misha profile image65

LOL It's definitely your right, but what goes around comes around smile

LDT, I am checking the charts, will get back to you soon smile

1. profile image0

So does that mean that because the creditors always get their money then one day I will get my money too! big_smile  Woo Hooo..."she'll be comin'round the mountain when she comes".

36. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

What do you think is stronger - a bursting century old credit bubble or the Fed? wink

And yeah, you don't need to tell me that, I lived through it smile

1. profile image0

I think the UN should just call it even and start over.  No one owes no one nothing.  No more credit, pay as you go etc.  no contractual home loans or car loans.  If you lose your job and can't pay, give it back and let someone who can afford it pay for it until the "actual" cost is paid for. 

But that is dreaming. big_smile

37. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

I don't think floors and ceiling was such a good idea, and whatever president dumped it made a right move IMO. But we are likely to see its pompous return under the current president smile

1. profile image0

I don't know, maybe it will but maybe this time around they could possible do something to control the rate at which prices rise. 

I mean, a steady increase where people can keep up and get with it seems more reasonable and "safe" than a sudden increase that most people cannot possible adjust to over even a year.

The deregulation of the market wasn't a bad idea to begin with but the cost of living couldn't keep up with it.

38. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL Sandy, you are too fast for my fingers smile

I am afraid UN has no power over this, it is like an avalanche - you either get out of the way and wait it out, or you get smashed smile

1. profile image0

Oh, well since you put it that way, I will totally get smashed.  Anyone up for a drink. wink LOL

39. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL sorry my English, I meant crushed of course smile

40. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LDT, I think you missed commodities bubble smile What other class of assets left? Government debt? Seems to be over already, too smile

And I think we are talking about a period much longer than 30 years. In fact it may go back as far as mid 1800s...

41. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Here is the chart of CRB index. Sorry, took a while to find a publicly accessible chart of enough duration smile

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/quickc … mp;time=13

Not THAT impressive of a bubble as stocks or housing, but still a huge rise with ensuing burst. smile Actually the mildness of this bubble points at the weakness of available credit, so no, there is no liquidity at all despite of historical Fed efforts, soon dollar is gonna become scarce smile

42. ledefensetech profile image67

I think it will be a matter of not just oil going up but food, steel, gold, silver, fertilizer, corn, wheat, etc. etc. etc.  Oil spiked because of an increase in demand due to China and India.  Inflation also played a role as the deficit spending of the early Bush years started to take it's toll on the value of the dollar.  The crash was due to a decrease in demand coupled with the deepening depression around the world.  What concerns me is that price is increasing, while the effects of the depression are still rippling through the world economy.  That's the main reason I think inflation is really starting to roll.

I have seen this issue crop earlier too. I mean in US even a single person drives SUV's with more than 3000 CC engines(with little MPG) and in India 5 people travel in a  Maruti 800 CC engine.

Just in recent years more middle class is buying personal 4 wheel transportation. I don't know why it is ok for Americans to buy larger inefficient vehicles and other places people who have some aspirations should be blamed for the fallout. I feel everybody has a right to fulfill there life's small aspirations(like own a small car).  Just my two cents. smile

Don't worry about it CW, I forgive you.  big_smile  A lot of the SUV thing has to do with the overall cheapness of gas in the US.  The government subsidizes quite a bit of the price of gas.  And they tax it much less than, say, European countries.  So we have cheaper gas and a huge interstate highway system that allows people to live quite a bit away from their workplaces.  Since gas is cheap efficiency isn't going to be a concern of car makers.  They'll try to convince people to buy big powerful cars.  Remember muscle cars?  It's the same kind of thing.

We've kind of caught it in the rear lately because gas is no longer cheap.  It's still early days though, and what we're suffering through is a readjustment.  I really wish they'd have left the car makers alone.  The ones who could adjust to the new circumstances would have and the one's that couldn't would fail.  Now there's a good chance we'll get incompetents and political appointees running the things and we can kiss all our forcibly invested money goodbye.

43. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Duh! CRB includes oil! Silly me smile

K, let's give it a time and see how things turn out smile

1. Misha profile image65

Well, did some more research, and here is a few randomly picked commodities from several groups. All look like they already saw their best days. I bet the bubble was not only in oil smile

aluminum
      http://hubpages.com/u/1280801_f520.jpg

coffee
      http://hubpages.com/u/1280802_f520.jpg

copper
      http://hubpages.com/u/1280803_f520.jpg

corn
      http://hubpages.com/u/1280804_f520.jpg

wheat
      http://hubpages.com/u/1280805_f520.jpg
      source: futures.tradingcharts.com

44. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL CW-girl, I don't think LDT meant to blame anybody, he was just trying to analyze what he thinks could be possible reasons for price movement. smile

Oops!! Sorry. I should have read this thread from the beginning. I just read his post since he seems to be very knowledgeable about economy (from an earlier exchange about housing markets). I guess I over reacted. Sorry everyone. I meant no offense. smile

45. countrywomen profile image61
    countrywomenposted 15 years ago

Thanks LDT. I guess I misread and shouldn't have made that post. I just sometimes get annoyed when people who enjoy the luxuries here tend to point to other countries not to enjoy even a basic thing like a personal car.

I read at HP earlier somebody complaining about the gas prices in US going up last year due to more people in India/China buying cars without looking inwards. I mean even if Gas is cheap here it doesn't give us a right to waste it buying inefficient vehicles. In the long run we would be "killing the goose" by doing so. Just my two cents. Have a good weekend. smile

46. ledefensetech profile image67

No by all means make the post.  One of the problems with Internet communication is that we don't have secondary channels for communication and language itself is notorious for being misunderstood.  Better to make the post and get clarification than not and misunderstand.

Well I prefer to keep silent sometimes. My father used to say one should know where to say, what to say and how to say. If one isn't sure of the "how to" then the other two don't matter that much. My mother would mince no words and tends to be more direct(she is a lawyer dealing in social service cases and she says in the initial days when she was very nice she wasn't taken as seriously in her circles hence she prefers to be a bit more direct) . I guess I have some traits from both sides. smile

47. HealthCare Basics profile image61

I paid $3.12 per gallon this morning. Seems the gas price went up then down in just a few days here in San Diego. $30.00 got me 3/4 of a tank.

48. ledefensetech profile image67

I really hope you're right Misha, that would be a weight off my mind.  Still we haven't heard any nonsense like "commodities only go up" yet, so it could still happen.  They once said that about the stock market and housing, they were wrong.  I still have to wonder where all of this excess money is going to go.

49. profile image0
    bernie1936posted 15 years ago

I'm ready for high prices again. I stored up about 700 gallons of vegetable oil for my diesel car.

50. ledefensetech profile image67

What kind of mileage do you get from that bernie?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)