The oil spill that might signal the end of the world.

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (50 posts)
  1. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 13 years ago

The Gulf oil spill is bad.  For that matter any oil spill is bad.  I am not a rabid environmentalist but I do believe we need to protect the wildlife we have left as well as our beaches and wetlands.  To a point.  Let's not get carried away.  Chris Matthews actually called for the government to take over the oil companies as if that was gonna be an improvement.  Can anyone name one thing the government has ever successfully operated?  Let me give you one acronym...DMV!  We'll get  the mess cleaned up (like we always do) and we'll learn from our mistakes (hopefully)  Let's not make this something political (as if it were possible not to with the clowns we have in congress)  All is not lost.  Timothy Geitner announced he's sending a herd of lawyers down to Louisianna so now everyone can breathe easier.

At the risk of being too politically incorrect you have to remember I'm a redneck backwoods hick from Tennessee.  An oil-covered bird on fire to us is dinner.  We're cooking out.

1. rhamson profile image72
      rhamsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

http://img.xcitefun.net/users/2008/05/2992,xcitefun-little-cute-chicken-wallpapers-8.jpg

2. ledefensetech profile image68
      ledefensetechposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nice of you to be so alarmist, even though you're not a "rabid" environmentalist.  Um, end of the world?  Funny how we're not still cleaning up the Valdez mess given how loudly the eco-nuts cry whenever something like oil spills.  The fact is that nature is very resilient. 

Look at Chernobyl.  That was a nuclear event and today it's one of the most diverse ecosystems out there.  You might try being a little less hysterical and use a little more reason when you try to argue.  Otherwise you look quite a bit like Chicken Little, continually crying that the sky is falling.

1. kerryg profile image83
        kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know what planet you're living on, but on this planet, they ARE still cleaning up after Exxon Valdez, and some of the fisheries in the area have yet to recover:

http://www.time.com/time/health/article … 33,00.html
        http://www.democracynow.org/2009/3/24/2 … valdez_oil

1. ledefensetech profile image68
          ledefensetechposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You'd be better off not quoting Pravda...oops, Time.  I'll have to look up democracynow, but I would be less than surprised to see that it's a propaganda site like Pravda...um Time.

Funny to see how the guys doing the "Deadliest Catch" show don't seem to share your concerns.  According to, you know, people who actually live there and make a living fishing, things were bad for a while but they recovered.

Since you seem to be so obviously concerned about the environment and know the history of evil oil so well, can you tell me the significance of the Amoco Cadiz?  If not, why can't you talk about the significance of it?  Like I said before, your arguments are hysterical and not worthy of rational debate.  If you want to talk reasonably, we can do that, but don't expect people to fall all over themselves because you're having a hysterical fit.

I also note that you said nothing about my point with Chernobyl, which in the grand scheme of things was a much worse event than the Valdez spill.  A staunch environmentalist like yourself should be much more concerned about a deadlier event than an oil spill, but surprisingly you're silent about it.  I wonder why?

1. kerryg profile image83
            kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Care to source your "Deadliest Catch" comment? Captain Colburn testified before Congress last year that "the Prince William Sound fishery has not recovered at all. Fish have literally left the area."

He also testified in opposition to offshore drilling in the Bering Sea on the grounds that it is unsafe with today's technologies and companies need to prove "unequivocally" that they will be able to clean up a spill in turbulent seas before drilling should be allowed to advance.

The Amoco Cadiz was another of the largest oil spills in history. At the time it occurred, it WAS the largest. I have no idea what "significance" you're expecting me to fish out of it. Knowing you, it's probably something about France seeking $2 billion in damages from Amoco for a disaster estimated at $250 million. roll

I'm more concerned about the fact that it happened more than 30 years ago, yet still affects some parts of the region today. tongue In fairness, though, bird and fish populations were never as hard hit as the EV disaster, so my understanding is that they've long since recovered and only wildlife in a few of the hardest hit benthic zones still show any signs of being affected by residues of the spill.

The aftermath of Chernobyl is interesting but resulted in an entirely different type of poison than an oil spill, so I don't consider it comparable. Additionally, the plants and animals in the area tend to have high rates of bizarre mutations, such as trees that can't figure out which way is up, so I'm not sure that you could really call it a healthy ecosystem by any normal definition of the word, nor is it practical to go around destroying places to the point that they're unfit for human life in an attempt to create wildlife sanctuaries.

2. profile image52
        havmercyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

FYI, the aftermath of Chernobyl is devastating to this day.  Of course, it is not widely publicized, but having just returned form Europe, I have a fresh perspective.  There are children on busses traveling into France for medical treatment because of the radioactive fallout that still affects their food/water/environment.  They are suffering... literally!  Many don't live to adulthood!!

3. The Shark profile image61
      The Sharkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Chris Matthews, what a joke. I suppose the government should take over the airlines if a plane crashes and people die. Or even wores to a liberal---if it crashed into a protected wet land. OMG all those dead people are polluting the pritistine wetland.
      IIt's funny how we have always dispised communism in this country but every day the liberals try to move us a little closer to it by proposing more government takeovers and more intervention in our personal lives.
      The Shark

2. tobey100 profile image60

I love it!!!!!   lol lol lol

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes - I think millions of barrels of crude oil pumped into the Gulf is funny as well. Hilarious.

Very funny - tell some more lies about what your President said. LOLOLOL Dear me. I thought I couldn't hold Kristians in less regard. Well done. You take this week's biscuit. Did you even go to school? I wonder. Let me guess - 3-4 years of home skooling and then straight into the police force?

Pretty sure you have absolutely no idea of the environmental impact this will have. Why don't you make fun of it instead? It is what Jesus would want you to do. Right?

3. GRivers profile image60
    GRiversposted 13 years ago

As a resident of Louisiana and among those already feeling the impact of this oil spill, I must say the lack of knowledge regarding this is astounding to me.  People do not realize this is a real life horrific event continuing to unfold as we speak.  This will have a global effect as Louisiana along with other Gulf states, supply 60% of the worlds seafood.  Not just the US but the World not too mention the lives of the people who is vastly being effected by this.  Whether this is a sign of the end, etc., it is no joking matter.

I agree that this is not something that should be taken lightly.  The sarcasm was only meant to maybe show the extremes that somethings are taken too.

I think we should have a life changing experience from this event and that maybe we should see that the risks we take in offshore drilling should be taken more seriously as well.

As long as we buy into oil being the priority as our energy source, the more these things are bound to happen.

2. KFlippin profile image60
      KFlippinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I tried to read the opening post on this topic with a serious ear, but it seemed somehow humorous, and what has happened is in no way fodder for humor.  My biggest regret is that I did not keep on asking and asking my husband to take me fishing on the Louisiana coast these past several years.

My heart goes out to you and Louisiana.

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

you might want to do some reading as to its effects, this clean-up is not like cleaning up a mess. it already has disastrous effects.

look at the effects of the exxon valdez spill. many lost their livelihood and there are long term effects that are still being discovered.
    http://news.mongabay.com/2010/0525-hanc … m_oil.html

I live 7 miles from some of the most beautiful beaches and marine eco systems and we don't want them ruined. the coast of Louisiana will never be the same. anything of this magnitude that takes place in our waters is not good for anyone.

5. leeberttea profile image57
    leebertteaposted 13 years ago

There aren't enough adjectives in the English language to describe the level of this catastrophe and the impact it will have on our environment, our food supply, our energy needs and the people. Government failed again in allowing this rig to operate without proper equipment and safe guards. In doing so the government has created yet another crisis that they can't let go to waste.

6. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

Aren't you the guy who says let business do what it wants?
    Well, this is the result!
    They are far more to blame than gvt.

Haliburton F's up YET again.
    And BP takes the fall....all of it.

Oh yeah, and Obama.

Where's Haliburton's spanking? They did the cementing that caused this!

Oh that's right I forgot...they are Cheney's company...old news. move on. nothing to see here.
    He made 34mil with them. Not bad for a piece of sh*t company.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

it's not any one person or company's fault. it goes back for decades, the relationship between big oil and the government. greed is the cause. drill baby drill, that kind of mindset, as much as we can as fast as we can. more, more, more. not taking enough precautions. where are the scientists, the marine biologists? 

they haven't made a conclusive, investigative report as to what was the actual cause but...

when you have a big oil company who has had many violations throughout the past years, some of them major, WHY would Mineral Mangement Service (inspectors overseeing Gulf region) allow them (BP) to fill out their own inspection forms? why aren't they doing their job? it is an institutional problem that needs to take some serious steps back and figure out what is essential.

2. The Shark profile image61
      The Sharkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ohhh it's Bush and Cheney they did it!! I  think they are also resposible for the wild fires out west. Didn't Bush support the logging industry. I  think Cheney and Bush also blew up that volcano in Iceland, we all know they are explosive experts. Just look at how effectively they blew up the World Trade Center and the levies in New Orleans. I know they kind of messed up on the Pentagon, but hey c'mon everyone can have one mistake.
        I say support the greenies, stop all drilling now, foget six months---forever. That includes on shore as well. That will show those greedy oil companies. Just think how clean our environment will be too. We'll all be filling up with all the new alternative fuels we have.
      The Shark

7. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

Now come the admissions from Libertarians that government regulation of big business is necessary.  It's a massive shame that the point can only be realized at the expense of so many innocent people and the long-term damage done to the eco-system.

1. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's hitting it on the head Ron. smile

8. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

What happens when you fail to plan?  You fail to succeed.  Who was in charge of this oil rig to begin with?  Who allowed this oil rig to be constructed without a disaster plan?  That is who everyone should be angry with and who is responsible for answering to the public.  (imho)

I have to wonder what type of redundancy was built into the emergency shut off system.  From diagrams and explanations I understand there were three, possibly four cutoffs within the unit that all failed.

I know with the shuttle there are three or more computers set up separately to guard against castrophic failures.  They are set up as individual units and not part of the main computer.

As with this valve that failed there lies within it the threat that one failure could directly affect the others to fail as well.

All in all not a very good idea and has shown us the results that come from such a poorly planned system.

9. tobey100 profile image60

Don't you know us by now???  All us conservatives hate anyone of a different race, we hate the aged and the poor.  No one should receive any benefits from the government.  If you haven't got a job, tough.  All wildlife should be eaten and all land should be paved so big corporations can expand more easily.  Did I cover it all?  Oh yeah, we don't like sick people either and if you can't get health insurance you should just crawl away somewhere so we don't have to see ya.  Oil is good no matter where it is or who we have to kill to get it and if Louisianna is worried about it they should have put the state somewhere else.

Come on people, give me a break.  The eruption of Mt. St. Helens did more damage than the oil leak ever will and most people don't even remember the volcano.  Besides, like I said, Geitner sent lawyers and a SWAT team.  What else ya want???

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sadly - this is an accurate assessment. And you wonder why you are despised. Oh - you forgot lying for Jesus. Tell us wot the Prezident sed agin dude.

Dear me...............  Did he sez wot he lubs muslims? LOLOLOLOL

Seriously - did you read that book? LOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

LOLOLOL

Really - LOLing at your lies.

10. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

What makes it worse is bp is turning down help from other countries!!!!!!!! Wtf if you want to make people irate thats how you do it.

11. Sally's Trove profile image77
    Sally's Troveposted 13 years ago

Comments about sarcasm and satire, and political and religious bashing put aside, humans bit off more than they could chew when it comes to drilling for oil under water.

Disaster planning and recovery? Of course, BP has those plans and it probably cost them millions of dollars in salaries and consultant fees to put them together.

Tragically, this event wasn't anticipated and consequently was not listed in the planning documents. Nor was it addressed in training sessions. Nor was it played out in a mock enactment. It was simply left out.

We human beings are so friggin' arrogant, thinking we can control the dynamics of the core of the earth.

And what do we do now? We blame everyone and anything other than ourselves. Shame on us for letting our government let big business tell us what is best for us, believe it, and then move on to our dinner and favorite TV reality show.

12. pinkboxer profile image61
    pinkboxerposted 13 years ago

Tobey100, you have certainly hit all of the high and low points of the oil spill in our beautiful Gulf Coast. Here in Louisiana, you will be an endangered species if you try to grill one of our pelicans, the official state bird. Great post, in spite of your totally politically incorrect comment at the end. I forgive you. Keep writing...

1. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Pink.  I just try to point out that it's man's ego that makes him think he can either save the world or destroy it.  We're nothing but ants crawling on a basketball compared to this planet.  I'm just redneck hick but I've got common sense and I don't need a political party or 'messiah' to tell me what my eyes see.  Everything has to be turned into politics which is very tiring and a hinderance 100% of the time.  Sorry about the bird comment!  You I respect.  No name calling, no ridicule.  When the name calling, labeling and ridicule come out you know you've won the argument.

13. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 13 years ago

Although not really a comment on the Topic per se.

Does anyone know what happens in the space where you remove millions of gallons of crude oil?  What takes it's place?  Seems like if you were to dig a whole then not fill it up you have a hole.

What happens to these holes under the pressure of the ocean?

No one ever talks about that.  Just wondering.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know but I heard a man speak today who said if it were not to be capped or contained, it would just continue to gush out indefinitely. I just finished reading this article about the hours leading up to the blowout. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/26/us/26rig.html?hp

I was thinking this afternoon how this generation of kids now being raised need to be better educated in the sciences and engineering fields. we need to be raising brilliant, creative minds for the future.

2. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mike, I was wondering that same thing.

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Those are the "black holes" like in outer space!  haha
      Or perhaps they merge together in the Bermuda Triangle?  There are many weird things that've never been fully explained....wink

4. lovemychris profile image76
      lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is from a blogger named Dublin Mick:

"Huge sinkhole opens up on Hwy 24 in Tennessee. Well when so much gas is taken out of the earth something has to fill it in right? Tennessee is on the New Madrid fault line. Guess what? New Madrid fault reaches from Gulf of Mexico to Illinois. It also connects with the Atlantic rift out of the ocean which cuts through South Carolina to Tennessee.

Look at a map and Martinique is a large volcano and the ocean is dotted with dozens of them underwater. It is on a line right through the gulf up through the Madrid to Illinois. Drill baby drill!

Oil inspectors let companies fill in own audits, while one admitted getting high on meth, report says.......The Raw Story

Dry lake in Louisiana fills up with water after heavy rain of course it has an oil sheen on it now.

My feeling from here on out is keep an eye on earthquake activity along the Madrid. What is happening here is not a singular event. If the Madrid goes it will take out bridges across the Mississippi and there are not as many as people think. It is crucial to ship food supplies across and shipping of goods up the mississippi by ship.

This tectonic plate can also effect Yellowstone, Rainier, Shasta, the San Andreas fault and the Wasatch as we;; as little known faults underlying New York City."

5. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that is a great question.  I would, cause I've been wondering that for decades. Not just the under sea drilling but all of it. How many millions of cubic miles have been emptied and what effects might that have on the number of earthquakes, and even the rotational balance of the earth?

14. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I don't know for sure? but I think they do fill it up with water or some gaseous stuff or something - that's how they get the oil out, by displacement sort of. no? yes?

15. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 13 years ago
    1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A preventable disaster, which makes it all the more sad.  sad

16. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/27/us/27rig.html?hp

something so risky and yet so many mistakes and oversights.

when will humans learn?

director of MMS dismissed, others need to lose their jobs.

17. raisingme profile image77
    raisingmeposted 13 years ago

The disaster has come about as a result of greed just as many of our other man made disasters have.  We are all responsible for this, it is within everyone of us.  Have you ever been greedy?  Have you ever taken more than you need?  Have you ever done something just for the financial gain?  Have you ever neglected to consider the consequences of your actions or your lack of action?  Have you ever failed to plan properly?  Have you ever taken shortcuts?  I have, all of the above and then some.  This 'BP' disaster, this world's disaster, this planet earth's disaster has created a mirror of such gigantic proportions that only the dullest among us will not be able to see their own reflection in it.

Greed is said to be one of the "seven deadly sins"  To sin is simply to "miss the mark".  We have missed the mark and we will continue to do so until we have individually and collectively taken a good long look in the mirror.  What we are doing right now is looking in the mirror and  seeing that our hair is a mess we set about frantically combing our reflection in the mirror!  It be called deadly for a reason!

It really is not something new to the Gulf of Mexico. The Ixtoc oil spill of 1979 took nine months to cap and basically mimics what is going on now.  The solution is the same as it was then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixtoc_I_oil_spill

18. jiberish profile image80
    jiberishposted 13 years ago

We've been drilling for years, and there have been only a few accidents.  This one is tragic because it could have been prevented, and because it is in such deep waters.  As far as it being the end of the world, like the song says, "it's the end of the world as we know it".

1. NightEmpress profile image60
      NightEmpressposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So true !

19. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 13 years ago

Sadly while there is little attention paid to the Exxon Valdez spill the aftermath of the spill is still with us.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l … ng24m.html

Kerryg is absolutely correct.

How anyone can support the ignorance is beyond me.

Species don't just recover because you ignore them.

"And herring, a cornerstone species of the Sound's ecosystem, is one of two species considered as "not recovering" by the council, the joint federal-state group established to oversee restoration."

20. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 13 years ago

Gasland--another castrophe in the making as we speak--Anybody seen the documentary about how shale gas recovery is poisoning ground water all over the country?

http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/613/index.html

Gasland trailer--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZe1AeH0Qz8

I got that story from the Australian ABC/BBC radio station.

It is a hell of a big problem as well.

2. KFlippin profile image60
      KFlippinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hope they shut down shale gas recovery -- why hasn't it been shut down already this past year and more?  And they need to stop with the ethanol plants that are polluting the air of the rural heartland of America, and for all I know, just don't recall, their ground waters as well.

21. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 13 years ago

Great link, very useful for any who is interested in what is being done about the spill now that it is coming ashore.
      Thank you, very thoughtful of you Onus. smile

1. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks dude!

22. Studio E profile image56
    Studio Eposted 13 years ago

The end of the world. thats when each one of us take a dirt nap. so we need to think that the world will end when we end. from the beginning of time until now people would say that. "BEHOLD", the world is still here it will be here 200 years from now but we won't.

Have a nice day smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)