jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

What do Americans think about Germans?

1. EinsFloW profile image63
    EinsFloWposted 7 years ago

What do Americans think about Germans?

2. awoodog profile image57
    awoodogposted 7 years ago

I hope they think of them in a good light. Past history should be remembered but the present should be viewed on it's own merrits. The Germany of today is not the same as the Germany of the first and second world wars. People are people, lets be friends, the world would be a better place.

1. alaamiahclean profile image60
      alaamiahcleanposted 14 months agoin reply to this

hey awoodog
      "Great, thanks for sharing this Answer post.
      Really thank you!
      Really Cool."

3. nifty@50 profile image74
    nifty@50posted 7 years ago

Speaking only for myself, I have two stereo types of Germans that directly contradict each other! On one hand you have the German engineering ( no one can do it better ), trains run on time, no nonsense ( or humor ) German. At the other extreme there is the October fest, hard drinking, accordion playing and very obnoxious German. The truth must lie some where in between LOL! Seriously, I view them as a very disciplined people that are proud of their heritage and a close Allie to the United States.

4. weholdthesetruths profile image60
    weholdthesetruthsposted 7 years ago

For the most part... Nothing. 

The answer is sarcastic, but Americans spend little to no time considering nationalistic notions of "what a German or French or Icelandic is like".    We generally just consider everyone to be pretty much like us, but speak differently.

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

I grew up wishing that I was German.  I was a strange boy, and I'm probably a strange man.

I was never a Nazi fan. . . .BUT, German Engineering, the AMAZING ability of the German military, German work ethics, German WOMEN. . . .BEER.  Uh huh, I wanted to be German.

6. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 7 years ago

Most Americans have at least some German immigrant heritage. German culture is interwoven into our own. But in terms of Germans today, Americans know that Germans are better educated than we are. This comes out when we mention German engineering. The Nazi regime that lasted ten years or so has a bigger impact on our historical perceptions than the fifty years before it or the thousand years of Holy Roman Empire before that.

working