jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

What do you think of the Nobel Peace Prize decision?

1. j.amie profile image60
    j.amieposted 7 years ago

What do you think of the Nobel Peace Prize decision?

2. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 7 years ago

What decision---to give it to Obama?

One of the stupidest decisions anybody could make.

3. j.amie profile image60
    j.amieposted 7 years ago

Brenda: Obama was last year....I mean the one today.

4. I am DB Cooper profile image64
    I am DB Cooperposted 7 years ago

A good decision, and it highlights China's human rights problem.

5. peterxdunn profile image58
    peterxdunnposted 7 years ago

I have high regard for anyone who stands up to a bully - like this guy did - especially when such a stance could get them killed: like a lot of the Tiananmen Square protesters were.

I still think it was a political decision to give it this guy though - the object of the exercise was to embarass China.

What about Mordechai Vanunu? He was due to be travelling to Berlin today to pick up a prize for his contribution to nuclear disarmament - but the Israelis are not letting him travel: surprise surprise. You will not be hearing any protestations from the western media on his behalf.

Keep your eyes on the prize - folks. Its all about the oil.

6. profile image0
    nomadicasianposted 7 years ago

I think it was a good decision for Nobel organizers to award that peace prize to someone who really deserved it and that XIAOBO of China is really the man of the hour.

7. Powerful Pierre profile image79
    Powerful Pierreposted 7 years ago

IT does bring up reminders of Tiennan Square. Let's just hope Xiaobo doesn't suffer too much from repercussion or revenge. As a Christian I will be praying for him each time I hear something of this man. It's about time its brought to light. The way the chinese government has been behaving has been thoroughly scrutiinized by this NPP  GOD Bless Xiaobo

8. Tusitala Tom profile image62
    Tusitala Tomposted 7 years ago

It is awarded to a right and proper person, no doubt.   I haven't followed what going on here, but one thing becomes very clear: those in positions of power have an 'Achilles Heel' - criticism which gets into the public arena.

Look what has happened to the Wiki-leaks guy.   I can recall saying to a friend when these first surfaced, "Either this guy will fall from a tall building, meet with a car accident, or be framed for something he didn't do so that he can be locked away." 

Well, surprise, surprise!   He's up on a rape charge...

9. profile image58
    foreignpressposted 7 years ago

I view the Nobel Prize with great scepticism after Obama was awarded the prize for . . . what? That was a serious sham that was orchestrated behind the scenes for political leverage. It not only showed that anybody can be bought, it  destroyed the credibility of the Nobel forever. In Liu Xiaobo's case I'm sure it's well-deserved. The empty chair had very dramatic effect.

10. JasonPT profile image57
    JasonPTposted 7 years ago

They gave Obama the peace prize.  It means absolutely nothing!