What can we do as Americans to help end the cycle of crime and dependency in Ame

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)
  1. ExpertCLB profile image61
    ExpertCLBposted 13 years ago

What can we do as Americans to help end the cycle of crime and dependency in American cities?

This is not about race or ethnicity. It is about differences in levels of education and income in the United States.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/4267085_f260.jpg

2. rickzimmerman profile image67
    rickzimmermanposted 13 years ago

Work in whatever ways each of us is capable in addressing the crucial needs of cities: sustainability; effective green space and recreational resources; greater dependence on feet and bikes and transit and less on cars; greater job opportunities; better educational opportunities; improved cultural resources; harmony with diversity; civil public discourse and civility to one another; developing a local sensibility and identity; community pride. See: nothing to it!

3. Wayne Brown profile image80
    Wayne Brownposted 13 years ago

That is a very difficult question and a subject that I broached in my hub "The Cockroach Factor".  Much of the strife we associate with crime and inner-city life breeds through the generations as a function of ignorance. It is the singular asset in this environment that gets past from generation to generation. It takes a long time and a lot of trying to breed ignorance out of a given group of individuals.  First, these people must possess a desire for something better.  That desire must drive a motivation to achieve an education and apply it in the job market. They must develop a work ethic and a reputation for reliability.  And most of all, they must quit looking upon themselves as a victim and recognize at least a part of their situation is their own doing.  There are many, many, rags to riches success stories in America and most of them tell of people who have pulled themselves out of the dregs of humanity and struggled to climb each rung of the ladder refusing to ever give up or turn back.  As Americans, we need to nurture those desires in those who have them and help where we can to easy the road a bit for them.  At the same time, we must understand that we cannot save people who do not want to be saved...it is futile and a waste of time and money.  Unfortunately, ignorance will always be our greatest enemy as a people. WB

4. profile image56
    foreignpressposted 13 years ago

Won't happen. And the reason is because of something called power-dominance-greed. It's human nature to want to dominate and control. This is found in every society and culture in the world. And it will never be eradicated.
       Some people claim white dominance is the culprit. But notice how Hispanics entering this country immediately called for Atzlan and shouted La Raza. There will always be a percentage of society that is pushed down into an almost subservient status looking for handouts to eke out an existence. This will always breed anger and contempt -- as it has for eons.

5. justom profile image58
    justomposted 13 years ago

The cycle of crime is perpetuated by the American government. Crime, like many things in this country, is big business.  What little construction going on now is the building of medical facilities and prisons. As always I would recommend a book by Angela Davis titled "Are Prisons Obsolete" it's the reality of where it all started and where it's going. A very complex issue.

6. Thesource profile image68
    Thesourceposted 13 years ago

Great question!  There is an answer to this. It is not difficult as most of you think.  Two simple conditions are needed. And they are as follows:

1. As a society, guarantee everybody the right to basic subsistence which includes food, shelter, and medical care. This should be a right, without condition to work or give up basic freedoms.

2.  Give everyone basic dignity.

Good intentions are not enough to prevent crimes. Almost every well intended person fears losing these conditions. They will resort to crime to prevent losing these basic human requirements for themselves and their loved ones.

If we do this, a wealthy businessman facing a financial reversal and need not resort fraud, coercion or even deception in fear of losing his basic requirements for him and his dependents. He can rise again when his next legitimate opportunity arises. A worker losing a job or having a breakdown due to intense stress could stop work without fear. He can return when he is ready and be able to be more productive again. He may perform his finest work then.

One may ask what if they get comfortable and don’t want to work. Again the answer is simple it is human spirit always want to rise as soon as they can. They will not want to remain on basic subsistence. As as soon as there is an opportunity to rise above subsistence they will take it.  A spiritually enlightened society will not put conditions on basic human needs or even force them to work for it.  Such conditions would lead to exploitations, desperation, involuntary prostitution, murders, robberies, loss of self-esteem, and other crimes. 

There is plenty of money and resources in our society to implement these two conditions. The question is are we spiritually there to unite and make this decision?

This will remove the major reason for crime. The remaining reasons are jealously, divisions, insanity and greed. He too there are solutions that we can apply only when we are enlightened.

7. profile image49
    Hchasity123posted 13 years ago

Chasity says that
    She need to be my sister and she. Is so mean

8. profile image51
    sharetipsposted 13 years ago

My answer is little bit different pls don't mind. Don't wish more things. Try to keep satisfying yourself what you have in hand. Give away weapons. Weapons are used in crime only. Make joint families not single or double parent houses. Create villages within cities not communities. Togetherness is remedy for lonliness and lonlyness drives sombody to commit a crime. Almost every crime commited by criminals when they were lonly. Meet your neighbors 4-5 times a week. These simple measures definatly prove helpful to built a peaceful country.

9. equipmentpro profile image70
    equipmentproposted 13 years ago

I'm not sure I completely agree with any of the theories that have been posited so far.  I read a great book recently called "Understanding Poverty".  Although primarily aimed at educators, it talked about the notion of "generational poverty" and how that mindset affected all aspects of impoverished peoples' lives.  That rings true to me.  I think that impoverished people have a sort of Stockholm Syndrome, where poverty is their captor and they come to accept and embrace it.  I read another book about teenagers that talked about just how resistant people are to change.  It explained that people would often rather repeat a hurtful behavior than to risk the upset of changing it.  This also rings true to me.  I think that people who grow up in the grip of generational poverty come to accept it as their life.  After all, what other choice do they have?  Without the means to change (and I mean the mental framework, not the economic framework), I think that impoverished people are actually stuck in their world.  And what is worse, they pass that culture of poverty on to their offspring.  So I guess I agree that education is the key, but NOT traditional education.  I think impoverished people need to be reprogrammed culturally, so that they can believe that there is another way.  I once said of all people, "We live in the Garden of Eden, but we cannot see it."   In that way we are all living in poverty, I think.

10. drbillfannin profile image59
    drbillfanninposted 13 years ago

equipmentpro has the best answer.
    People in poverty are there not because of oppression, but because of their own willingness to stay there. Many people have risen out of poverty to become a great success. No one can escape poverty by demanding "equal treatment" or "government help." People who cry these chants are just bums looking for handouts. The only way out of poverty is for those people to decide to play the game by the rules. In other words, get an education and get a job and quit bitching. Do what the job requires. In most cases it means kissing some butt to get ahead. I have never been handed a free ride. I've worked my butt off to get what meager benefits I have. It's all in the mindset of the impoverished. Things will change when they want to change, which will never happen. Bums like being bums. Being successful takes a lot of hard work and willingness to follow rules.

11. shynsly profile image60
    shynslyposted 13 years ago

It has to start with the people themselves. They have to WANT to end it. Take the gang ridden streets of L.A., many of the people in those neighborhoods are generally good, hard working individuals stuck in a crappy situation.

Problem is, when anyone tries to help by doing things like increased police presence or stiffer penalties on gang related activities, the efforts are met with nothing but resistance and accusations of "racial stereo-typing", even by the above mentioned good people, the one's you'd think would be the first ones to appreciate the help.

And you can't really blame the Cops, you put your life on the line for a whopping $40K a year, then get sent into an area where your job becomes ten times more dangerous, all to try and help people that would rather spit on you then talk to you. Not exactly my dream job.

I don't mean to be an "angry white a$$hole", but the bottom line is, political correctness outweighs all other factors today... no matter how P.C. something might be, it doesn't make it true, and the truth is not always P.C. How can we ever solve any of these problems if we're not even allowed to talk about them in an honest and candid manner?

Until ALL of us- white, black, brown, blue, purple, or pink get past this inability to talk about the real issues for fear of "offending" anyone... we'll never fix any of them. I'd wager a guess, if MLK were still around, he'd be the first person to agree with me.

12. Epic Traveller profile image60
    Epic Travellerposted 13 years ago

The answer is a simple one, the implementation on the other hand is much more of an impossible one. I say ban alcohol and ciggerets. This is the number one reason for hardship in the community. The people who can't afford a proper plate of food are drunk daily. Yes you can say its ignorance and a lack of self control or man up and realize its exploitation. Simple true straight to the point. Major corporations need poor people to be the big power houses they are. Sad really, in this world of plenty we can't share. This in turn creates that mental disease called poverty. Now some of you will say how can you say that. I'll say open your eyes and take a look around. Peace is your if you want it. wink

13. MoneyCreator24 profile image57
    MoneyCreator24posted 13 years ago

The mindset must be changed. Instead of always fighting against something, it is better to fight for something. It may be even good to leave the fighting itself.
    All things on which we focus, grow. The more we focus, the more they grow.
    It is therefore essential to change the focus.

14. BobbiRant profile image60
    BobbiRantposted 13 years ago

Poverty, crushing poverty, leads to drug use and sales which in turn leads to prostitution and crime.  But Americans anymore, many of them anyway, act like poor people should all be tossed in the trash, but they do not realize poverty affects us all in one way or another, be it supporting people in prison with tax money to endangering our personal lives at times.  You'll be hard pressed to convince some 10 year old drug runner (mule) that the $1200 per week they make running drugs is not as good as the minimum wage he can make at some other job.  Even mothers of those kids, while knowing that kid may be dead before he/she reaches 21, is encouraging them to run drugs because the $1200 a week is buying food,clothes,paying bills and placing food on their table where Welfare does not.  That's the rock bottom of why crime does pay and it pays big.

15. profile image53
    saasservicesposted 13 years ago

you try changing the thought of one child when he is grown up, can you change ? Thats what I want to say, May it be america or any other country, you cannot rollback the scene ! It's absolutely true. Crime and dependency crop up when there is less culture. if any country if not following a culture right from the beggining, then they cannot control crime later on. it is a fact, and I think anyone should accept it. So it is very hard to correct the situation now.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)