jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you cope in the face of events beyond your control?

1. Beata Stasak profile image83
    Beata Stasakposted 7 years ago

How do you cope in the face of events beyond your control?

Japan is prostrate and fearful, but there are no reports of widespread panic, looting or hoarding. Westerners search fro image of fear and despair but the Japanese survivors avert their faces and cover their eyes. This extraordinary stoicism can be summed up by the Japanese word 'gaman' - calm forbearance, perseverance and poise in the face of events beyond one's control. I believe we all should learn a lesson or two from the Japanese way of coping especially now in the age of 'natural and man-made disasters'.

2. DJProfessorK profile image61
    DJProfessorKposted 7 years ago

They've recovered before and they'll do it again. Japan is the epitome of resilience and will come back stronger than ever.

3. daryl2007 profile image60
    daryl2007posted 7 years ago

all problems can be controlled if only you think positive to it.

4. create a page profile image61
    create a pageposted 7 years ago

I had the opportunity to teach world history in my younger days.  While researching the history of Japan I was amazed at their culture which included a formidable honor and respect for parents and elders in general. 

They are also known to be people who aim for the highest so they always strive to do whatever is best.  I believe they are not allowing the circumstances to control their feelings, but they are already focusing on measures to overcome every setback.   They are setting a good example for their neighbors in other parts of the world.