jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Are the riots in vancouver proof people take sports to seriously?

1. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

Are the riots in vancouver proof people take sports to seriously?

i know people who lose their minds over certain sports, is this rational or childish behavior. what does rioting after losing a game say about a city?

2. Doc Snow profile image96
    Doc Snowposted 6 years ago

"Yes," "childish," and "nothing good," respectively.

There's really no excuse for such a temper tantrum writ large.  Unfortunately, this sort of thing seems fairly common, with examples occurring in many different countries in recent years.

And, I must add that (as I perceive it at least) it's not really 'people,' it's 'men.'  I hate to put a black mark against my own gender, but women really seem to have more sense in some respects.

3. Seeker7 profile image97
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

Yes. I think that this happens all over the world. You get head-bangers who take sport too seriously and sport is also used to give them an excuse for violence. They are very childish and need to grow up.

4. Jeff Berndt profile image85
    Jeff Berndtposted 6 years ago

It happens after winning a game as well, and one is just as bad as the other.

A sports-related riot, whether in rage or in celebration, is evidence that the rioters are a pack of fools.

5. scauthor1969 profile image64
    scauthor1969posted 6 years ago

Happily, my team won. Yes, sports riots are ridiculous. I root for my team like anyone else but it does not change my life if they win or lose. It is just a game folks.

6. carlmueller profile image35
    carlmuellerposted 6 years ago

In this case, yes some people do take sports too seriously but the people who rioted were most likely just looking for a reason to do so. They riot everytime the G20 is held and that doesn't involve sports so what does that say about human nature in general?

7. Mr. Happy profile image82
    Mr. Happyposted 6 years ago

Being a European first, I am not surprised. At soccer games in Europe it gets pretty nasty. Drunk stupid people often equal violence in my opinion.
    In Vancouver's case, I am sure the Black Bloc were involved. Little anarchist kids, running around with bats and Molotov cocktails. I have been to countless demonstrations and once you see them a couple of times in action, it's pretty easy to spot them.
    The police failed miserably though, just like they did at the G 20 in Toronto, after spending two billion dollars (well, it wasn't all spent in Toronto but Toronto was called Fortress City and cop cars still went-up in flames). Rather pathetic ...
    The riot in Vancouver wasn't about sports, in my opinion.

8. vagary profile image52
    vagaryposted 6 years ago

It seems that anytime you get a large number of people together with the additional draw of an international television audience, you will attract the sort of people who relish conflict, especially with the police.  Most of the Vancouver fans at the game were very disappointed with the outcome, but they inheritantly knew the sun was coming up the next day, their work place was still there, and life would not be any different.   Unfortunately, when agitators stir up the crowd either after a victory or, in this case, a defeat, mix in the over consumption of adult beverages, and you have the makings of a riot.  While sports, especially major contact sports stir up, in most people, an adrenalian boost, we all should keep in mind that in the end, it is only a game.