jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Some say "war on crime is really war on poor people". What do you think of this

1. CrazyGata profile image77
    CrazyGataposted 6 years ago

Some say "war on crime is really war on poor people".  What do you think of this statement?

There is argument about crime as a result of areas neglected or segregated by the government.  Is it true that lack of education has to do or is it a matter of manning up?

2. yols-a profile image59
    yols-aposted 6 years ago

The general consensus is that crimes are often committed by those who are less priviledged.

But many of the times those who belong the upper class or certain strata in society are actually responsible or behind these under priviledged perpetrating these heinous acts.

Often times they are the ones who have the money fight their way out and leave the poor behind.

But we can't be daunted there are group of people who are daring enough to go after the big fish and white collar crimes.

3. kschang profile image88
    kschangposted 6 years ago

The idea that "war on crime" is "war on poor" is bogus because not all criminals are poor people. Bernard Madoff being a case in point.

Some people are just born with a propensity to commit "crime" because they don't believe the society rules apply to them. They can be born into ANY strata of society. They will study the "rules", then exploit it for all they can, and get away with it for as long as they can.

You don't need to have education to have ethics. If you have ethics you wouldn't commit crime (except petty crimes like stealing food) and wouldn't need "war on crime".

That sounds like one of those liberal "blame the society, individuals can't be responsible" type thinkings.

4. Insane Mundane profile image61
    Insane Mundaneposted 6 years ago

How is a war on crime, a war against poor people?  I'm having trouble understanding the question!  That's like saying a war on welfare, is a war against working stiffs?  Huh?  Now, if you say that a war on poor people is a crime, or a war against working stiffs is welfare, it starts to make a little sense.
    Either way, the only war I see on a regular basis that seems to be a war against its own people, is the so-called "war on drugs."  Now that is one corrupt war, especially since one of the biggest drug problems is in the "prescription drug" industry, to say the least. 
    I don't think I answered your question exactly, but that was one jumbled up query, so I only responded accordingly, if that makes any sense to ya...  What's next, the war on terrorism is really a war against civil rights?  Or, a war against illegal immigrants is a war against legal citizens?  hmm

5. tigerbaby777 profile image83
    tigerbaby777posted 6 years ago

I would say it's a little bogus since criminals come from all lifestyles, from the very rich to the very poor.

6. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

That either the person saying the comment is not intelligent or the people commiting the crimes are not intelligent. I believe it is a matter of manning up. Some people believe they can take the easy way, like dealing drugs or breaking into people's houses. But the best way is to work hard and man up.
    I do not know if the comment is true and I do not believe it is, but if it is, that's sad.

7. jf_2000 profile image71
    jf_2000posted 6 years ago

It really depends on what constitutes a 'war on crime'.

In my opinion:

- The poor often commit traditional crimes that are very visible and easily punished.

- The very rich commit much more sophisticated crimes that are difficult to see and to punish. The current western legal system is unable to control these crimes as the laws were developed for a much simpler age. In many cases they may not even be seen as a crime(e.g is it a crime for a company to sell you products that are proven to kill you?).

Both groups do it because the payoff is far greater than the alternatives.

So based on the above,I would say that a 'warm on crime'would broadly target those in lower socio economic groups.

8. RobberMagazine profile image59
    RobberMagazineposted 6 years ago

a great crime - it is not a crime. This is a trend in society. A great crime - a measure of freedom in society. A minor fraud, of course, lack of education and lack of investment in police

9. feenix profile image60
    feenixposted 6 years ago

The so-called War on Crime is definitely a war against poor people, especially poor blacks and Hispanics.

For example, way back in the day when I was a young dude, whenever there was a riot in a ghetto or barrio, "they" cleaned up the "mess" by drafting large numbers of the young men in those communities into the military.

And today, "they" are fighting crime by busting and imprisoning large numbers impoverished young black and Hispanic men for committing such infractions as drinking a bottle of beer on a street corner, smoking a blunt in the park, and "loitering" in front of a bodega/convenience store.

10. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image97
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years ago

I disagree.  Some of the worst crimes in history were perpetrated by people who were very wealthy, such as Bernie Madoff.  A criminal mind is no respecter of social status or wealth level.  Some people just never have enough!

11. profile image53
    johnzhouposted 4 years ago

I believe that cause of crime is the big gap between rich and poor.  In southeast of China, there are some poverty rural ereas. All of people are poor, but nice to each other. Their heart are all peace. Crime rate is very low there. In contrast, in some megapolis of China, such as Guangzhou, crime rate is very high. In these big citis, both rich people and poor people lived in together. The difference beteen their lifestyle is very big. The is the real reason why some poor is desperate and feels "unfair". It is diffecult to make heart peace in the big city.