Some say "war on crime is really war on poor people". What do you think of this

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. CrazyGata profile image80
    CrazyGataposted 12 years ago

Some say "war on crime is really war on poor people".  What do you think of this statement?

There is argument about crime as a result of areas neglected or segregated by the government.  Is it true that lack of education has to do or is it a matter of manning up?

2. yols-a profile image57
    yols-aposted 12 years ago

The general consensus is that crimes are often committed by those who are less priviledged.

But many of the times those who belong the upper class or certain strata in society are actually responsible or behind these under priviledged perpetrating these heinous acts.

Often times they are the ones who have the money fight their way out and leave the poor behind.

But we can't be daunted there are group of people who are daring enough to go after the big fish and white collar crimes.

3. kschang profile image86
    kschangposted 12 years ago

The idea that "war on crime" is "war on poor" is bogus because not all criminals are poor people. Bernard Madoff being a case in point.

Some people are just born with a propensity to commit "crime" because they don't believe the society rules apply to them. They can be born into ANY strata of society. They will study the "rules", then exploit it for all they can, and get away with it for as long as they can.

You don't need to have education to have ethics. If you have ethics you wouldn't commit crime (except petty crimes like stealing food) and wouldn't need "war on crime".

That sounds like one of those liberal "blame the society, individuals can't be responsible" type thinkings.

4. Insane Mundane profile image58
    Insane Mundaneposted 12 years ago

How is a war on crime, a war against poor people?  I'm having trouble understanding the question!  That's like saying a war on welfare, is a war against working stiffs?  Huh?  Now, if you say that a war on poor people is a crime, or a war against working stiffs is welfare, it starts to make a little sense.
    Either way, the only war I see on a regular basis that seems to be a war against its own people, is the so-called "war on drugs."  Now that is one corrupt war, especially since one of the biggest drug problems is in the "prescription drug" industry, to say the least. 
    I don't think I answered your question exactly, but that was one jumbled up query, so I only responded accordingly, if that makes any sense to ya...  What's next, the war on terrorism is really a war against civil rights?  Or, a war against illegal immigrants is a war against legal citizens?  hmm

5. tigerbaby777 profile image81
    tigerbaby777posted 12 years ago

I would say it's a little bogus since criminals come from all lifestyles, from the very rich to the very poor.

6. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 12 years ago

That either the person saying the comment is not intelligent or the people commiting the crimes are not intelligent. I believe it is a matter of manning up. Some people believe they can take the easy way, like dealing drugs or breaking into people's houses. But the best way is to work hard and man up.
    I do not know if the comment is true and I do not believe it is, but if it is, that's sad.

7. jf_2000 profile image61
    jf_2000posted 12 years ago

It really depends on what constitutes a 'war on crime'.

In my opinion:

- The poor often commit traditional crimes that are very visible and easily punished.

- The very rich commit much more sophisticated crimes that are difficult to see and to punish. The current western legal system is unable to control these crimes as the laws were developed for a much simpler age. In many cases they may not even be seen as a crime(e.g is it a crime for a company to sell you products that are proven to kill you?).

Both groups do it because the payoff is far greater than the alternatives.

So based on the above,I would say that a 'warm on crime'would broadly target those in lower socio economic groups.

8. RobberMagazine profile image60
    RobberMagazineposted 12 years ago

a great crime - it is not a crime. This is a trend in society. A great crime - a measure of freedom in society. A minor fraud, of course, lack of education and lack of investment in police

9. feenix profile image57
    feenixposted 12 years ago

The so-called War on Crime is definitely a war against poor people, especially poor blacks and Hispanics.

For example, way back in the day when I was a young dude, whenever there was a riot in a ghetto or barrio, "they" cleaned up the "mess" by drafting large numbers of the young men in those communities into the military.

And today, "they" are fighting crime by busting and imprisoning large numbers impoverished young black and Hispanic men for committing such infractions as drinking a bottle of beer on a street corner, smoking a blunt in the park, and "loitering" in front of a bodega/convenience store.

10. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 12 years ago

I disagree.  Some of the worst crimes in history were perpetrated by people who were very wealthy, such as Bernie Madoff.  A criminal mind is no respecter of social status or wealth level.  Some people just never have enough!

11. profile image52
    johnzhouposted 10 years ago

I believe that cause of crime is the big gap between rich and poor.  In southeast of China, there are some poverty rural ereas. All of people are poor, but nice to each other. Their heart are all peace. Crime rate is very low there. In contrast, in some megapolis of China, such as Guangzhou, crime rate is very high. In these big citis, both rich people and poor people lived in together. The difference beteen their lifestyle is very big. The is the real reason why some poor is desperate and feels "unfair". It is diffecult to make heart peace in the big city.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)