jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do you more frequently imagine things you worry about, or joys you look forward

1. Perspycacious profile image81
    Perspycaciousposted 6 years ago

Do you more frequently imagine things you worry about, or joys you look forward to?

Perhaps imaginings are the conscious expressions of conscience, promises, or cautions, even inspirations of the Holy Ghost.  Whatever they each are, I think they are especially frequent for anyone spending a large part of a life in the arts.  Creativity springs from and relies on an active imagination.  The saying goes:  "If man can imagine something, he can achieve it."  I guess that in that regard a "colony on the moorn" isn't far fetched at all...just expensive when we don't even need to just imagine the problems here on Earth for which those funds might better be spent.

2. rebeccamealey profile image85
    rebeccamealeyposted 6 years ago

Interesting question....I tend to see the glass half full, but then at the same time I worry that maybe I am overly optimistic....and "gullible.'

3. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

I believe that what we focus on we attract and that the mind is a powerful thing - for that reason I consciously work to focus on positives - be it positive goals, dreams, inspiration etc.  We all have worries and struggles in life - but I try to see the positives in those too - lessons learned and whatnot. 

I know for me I believe in consciously directing my thoughts/imagination towards the positive.  I think a mind left to its own devices without any guidance can get us into trouble.  Anxiety is not fun - I was always an overanxious child/teen until I learned how to redirect my focus smile

I don't believe optimism makes one gullible - I think it takes greater strength to be positive and try to stay positive in an often too cynical world.

4. annart profile image88
    annartposted 6 years ago

I used to imagine lots of worrying things and thought it was getting worse with age.  However, now I'm retired I imagine the joys of spending time with my grandchildren and travelling because I'm lucky enough to have the time and fewer worries.  No longer having a mortgage, not having to get up early, not having difficulty dividing my time between the people I love, it's easier to imagine the joys.  That doesn't mean I don't imagine that awful things might happen.  I've always had an active imagination (maybe over-active) which doesn't always do me any good but I'd rather be inclined to over- than under-imagine!  Good food for thought!

5. Ruchira profile image76
    Ruchiraposted 6 years ago

I "usually" look forward to my future esp about the worries. But, then I have to correct myself and start living in the present.

My sub-conscious mind looks into the worries of the future. But, my conscious mind helps me make an effort towards the present.

In short...I do a mixture of both.

6. montecristo profile image82
    montecristoposted 6 years ago

Sometimes, I do tend to worry. My mind tries to create bad scenarios, so I pray and try to focus on God.

7. whonunuwho profile image79
    whonunuwhoposted 6 years ago

Although there are always things to worry about, I try to concentrate on the things that I enjoy doing and say a prayer that everything will be alright.

working