jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Should we blindly judge people by their outward apperance?

1. dmop profile image77
    dmopposted 6 years ago

Should we blindly judge people by their outward apperance?

2. sarmack profile image60
    sarmackposted 6 years ago

Many people are followers.  They don't know how to lead others.  Their outward appearance will mimic the one they are following.  You won't know that person intimately until you get past their outward appearance.  For example, there are Kim Kardashian look alikes everywhere nowadays.  But, the majority of these girls are not the spoiled, self-centered immaturity of Kim Kardashian.  Some intelligent people are just mirrors of those they idolize, rather than standing in their own Reality.  People who choose to live out their own uniqueness are mocked and disrespected.  It makes it more desirable to be a look-a-like.  I would Hope we would delve deeper into what makes up a person and why they would settle for being a look-a-like.  Women will look down on another woman who wears dresses or skirts all the time.  It is acceptable to wear the pants in the family for them.  They are just look-a-likes.  They want to be like the men.  Why would women want to give up their feminity?  Why would we judge anyone else, when we are just look-a-likes ourselves?!  Long answer, short!  No, we should not judge people by their outward appearance... the outward appearance is not necessarity the Real person!

3. moonfairy profile image80
    moonfairyposted 6 years ago

Absolutely not! How we look does not accurately reflect our heart and soul. Every so often I personally interact with someone who looks like she hasn't bathed in a while and her huge smile is missing teeth, but every time I come in contact with her she greets me with that smile and the words that flow from her are kind and sincere. At first glance, she is I'm sure, misunderstood. I've learned that she is kind and considerate and a very hard worker and I've grown to respect her very much. I don't know what her life is like, but I do know that on the inside she is lovely.

4. Ben716 profile image87
    Ben716posted 6 years ago

It is wrong to judge people by their outward appearance because what one sees physically is not what's in the heart. Some people do not dress well but that does not mean they are stupid or have low thinking or reasoning capacity. It just means they like wearing like that. Take for example street children. One might just sneer how dirty, useless they are and that they do not much or won't be of any help. However, these children can outstand someone with their intelligence.

On another note, at times physical appearance does speak a lot about a person. Especially when it comes to dressing. Am not sure in any other countries but ladies who wear with a lot of nakedness in some parts of the bodies makes them look cheap and prostitutes. A man might not want to take such a girl to introduce to his parents.

My conclusion: Do not judge someone by his/her appearance but the appearance on the other hand tells one much about that person. They say actions speak louder than words.

I think the above is not a conclusive statement. Makes me wonder. And think a lot.

5. Starr Poetress profile image63
    Starr Poetressposted 5 years ago

Heck no we shouldn't blindly judge people by their outward appearance. Sadly, people use the word discernment in place of judging so they don't look like they are judging, they are using their intuition... Nope it is judging. When we can take the time to walk, talk, and learn the people instead of judging, we will be happier and, I believe, a more peaceful environment. I have a new friend that has Parkinson's disease. People won't friend her because they think she is on drugs from the shaking. She isn't it is the disease that does it. But they judge before getting to know this beautiful person.

6. Iggy Sarducci profile image70
    Iggy Sarducciposted 5 years ago

Funny use of cliches. It isn't physically possible to "blindly judge" people by outward appearance. Judging by appearance and blindness are mutually exclusive. I think you mean "superficially judge." Heh - very different. wink

Other than that, I'm all for judging! Accept your reactions, your feelings and thoughts. They're all useful information. But then, in response, tolerance for others is often a beneficial practice, methinks.

1. Starr Poetress profile image63
      Starr Poetressposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What happens when you are incorrect and cause harm to the person you judged? What do you do then?

2. Iggy Sarducci profile image70
      Iggy Sarducciposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Judgments are subjective, like senses... not objective facts. Are your feelings WRONG?  To judge is to form an opinion or have a notion. Natural acts. Why shame people for being human and having thoughts? How people act on thoughts is what impacts.

3. Starr Poetress profile image63
      Starr Poetressposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It isn't that thoughts that people should be shamed for. It would be more jumping to conclusions based on looks. Never judge a book by its cover.