jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

Does any one say please and thank you any more?

1. dmop profile image77
    dmopposted 6 years ago

Does any one say please and thank you any more?

2. Brandon Spaulding profile image57
    Brandon Spauldingposted 6 years ago

I regularly say please and thank you in my daily interactions with people.

3. Sapphireid profile image66
    Sapphireidposted 6 years ago

Hello Dmop,

I will gladly answer your question. Yes! I am known as a perky and bubbly individual who has impeccable manners and practices P's & Q's.

I know where you are coming from, as people have no regard for the courteous ways of years gone by.

Best regards,

4. Cre8tor profile image97
    Cre8torposted 6 years ago

I do and work hard to instill the same in my children. I'm from a small(er) town so I suppose those values are a little more prominent than in other larger cities today. (At least that's my experience.) Perhaps it's just that in larger cities, you see so many people you don't know, it's easier to forget common courtesy.

5. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 6 years ago

Most all Southerners do.

(This line added to meet HP's silly posting length requirement.)

6. Bretsuki profile image80
    Bretsukiposted 6 years ago

I do. I was brought up to say please and thank you to anyone.

Often these days, since I went blind, people will hold doors open for me and such. I always say thank you to such thoughtful people. I also make a point of thanking shop staff and people who work on reception desks. They get a lot of stress from their work so having done their type of work in the past I know how much nicer it was to get a customer who just said thank you.

And I always say thank you to colleagues and family, and even here on HubPages, I add a thank you to all my comments,  it is just right to acknowledge people taking time to do something, even if it is their job.

7. Civil War Bob profile image59
    Civil War Bobposted 6 years ago

My 1950s upbringing ingrained it and 60 years of experience has reinforced the adage, 'what goes around comes around.'  Generally speaking, if you're polite with 'please and thank you' to others, it generates the same sort of response; the only exceptions being folks who are just plain mean, as Taylor Swift would sing.

8. Faceless39 profile image94
    Faceless39posted 6 years ago

Yeah, of course; especially people who were raised that way.  I'm 34 and make a real effort to be pleasant and courteous.  I definitely speak up when an employee somewhere is rude.

9. proactrdv profile image73
    proactrdvposted 6 years ago

Things today are a lot different from when I grew up. Saying thank you and please now appear to be a sigh of weakness rather than mannors. I believe it has to do with the fast life that we live today. People hardly have time to really spend together and everyone is so absorbed in what they want to do wheather it is getting somewhere. fulfilling a need or just moving ahead in walking, or driving to get to there bus, or straight to their destination. Ever notice how you are prompted to hurry up and get off the phone when you need information or referred to get online? The price we pay is often roadrage and other kinds of rudeness.

10. moonfairy profile image80
    moonfairyposted 6 years ago

I live in the Northeast and people here are very friendly (for the most part) and cordial so please and thank you are an every day occurance. I can't even imagine not saying please and thank you to people!

11. xethonxq profile image64
    xethonxqposted 6 years ago

Absolutely. I see and hear people do this all the time. I also find that when I offer it first I usually get a positive response. One of those pay it forward type of things. I might have to do it repeatedly, but it generally triggers the right response that hopefully stays with the person for a while.

12. PK2010 profile image80
    PK2010posted 6 years ago

I do. That's the way I was brought up so it comes naturally to me without hesitation. I always tell my children never to forget their manners, their please and thank yous which are very important in our interaction with people. Adding please to a request shows humility and respect towards whom you need a favour from. Saying thank you shows you appreciate what's been offered or given you, it also shows you are grateful to the person in question.
    Sadly the society at large today has lost so many important values as we are gripped by our wants, needs and materialism which seem to precede the essence of our existence.

13. pstraubie48 profile image84
    pstraubie48posted 6 years ago

For sure. Please, thank you, yes m'am, no m'am all are still present in my world and to and from those that I encounter...more often than not these words are spoken...