jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

Would you pay more taxes so that everyone has healthcare?

1. BlissfulWriter profile image68
    BlissfulWriterposted 6 years ago

Would you pay more taxes so that everyone has healthcare?

This question is for those in the United States.   For those that are outside of the United States, I know that your government already provides everyone with healthcare.

2. maxoxam41 profile image75
    maxoxam41posted 6 years ago

I definitely would do that! Am I not paying for the cops who brutalize the people, am I not paying for the dilettantes that are in congress (it doesn't deserve its capital C), am I not paying for military spending that I oppose...

3. Josak profile image60
    Josakposted 6 years ago

Yes, I consider it the right thing to do. I also condider it an investment in our future as a nation, every person who lives due to free healthcare will I hope contribute to the nation afterwards more than he has taken or perhaps not but I hope so, after all the dead and partially the sick don't pay much taxes.

4. pagesvoice profile image86
    pagesvoiceposted 6 years ago

Yes....in a heartbeat because all life deserves the same quality of medical care.

5. profile image86
    HSchneiderposted 6 years ago

Absolutely. Our current system based on employment is unfair and inhumane. Everyone deserves affordable healthcare. It should be a right.

6. Hayley Richardson profile image81
    Hayley Richardsonposted 6 years ago

Yup.  I live in the UK and we have a National Health Service (though with the way the government they might have destroyed it soon enough).  I firmly believe in free health care for all.

7. Flightkeeper profile image72
    Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago

No.  These things should not be mandated by government.  Let people decide if they want health care or not and let them pay for it or not.

8. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 6 years ago

For anyone who cares about their fellow man, it's a no brainer.  Do I force my fellow citizens to go bankrupt because I am greedy and do not want to help them, or am I willing to pay a little more in taxes (which would replace insurance premiums ANYWAY!) to ensure everyone has access to a doctor when they are sick?

9. ChelleLars profile image60
    ChelleLarsposted 6 years ago

Technically, those of us who pay insurance already do: high insurance premiums are the result of hospitals shifting the cost of the uninsured to those of us who are insured.

A good NHCS system would provide basic care for everyone. Not only is it a matter of our moral imperative as a nation, it's good economic sense. A healthy workforce is a stable workforce.

10. Thinking Allowed profile image58
    Thinking Allowedposted 6 years ago

Yes. Healthy citizens are productive ones. It benefits us all in the long run. Those opposed to this tend to be opposed simply because things have just been a certain way, not because their opposition was thought through and makes any sense. Our tax dollars go toward paying our local police. Whether you're a tax payer or not, whether you call the police directly for their services or not, you utilize their services.

The idea of an officer checking to see if you paid your protection fee before they save you when you run to them saying "help me, this guy is trying to kill me", is just horrible for anyone to think of. Those same people, however, don't seem to get that someone running to a doctor saying "help me, this cancer is trying to kill me" is in the same boat. Their brains just don't make the obvious connection for some reason. Instead "those damn freeloading cancer patients are milking the whole weak from chemo thing. They just don't want to work for a living!" seems to make more sense to them.

11. modgirlok profile image60
    modgirlokposted 6 years ago

Absolutely, if the percentage was fair across my income bracket.

12. JamaGenee profile image83
    JamaGeneeposted 6 years ago

YES! All one has to do is look at countries with national or single-payer healthcare for all of its citizens to know this really is a no-brainer. 

What's the difference between paying a small tax to provide health care for all and the taxes we already pay to fund fire and police departments? 

BigPharma and group health insurance companies have become addicted to the obscene profits they rake in and will fight tooth and nail to keep us tied to the broken system we're stuck with now. 

Grand Junction, Colorado, on the other hand, has had a system in place for several years whereby ALL citizens receive great health care whether they can afford to pay or not.  It's based on the premise that keeping citizens healthy costs a LOT less than expensive hospital stays if they aren't seen until they're at death's door.

working